New super lite 410mm "alien" quadcopter frame - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 20, 2015, 03:44 PM
Discussion

New super lite 410mm "alien" quadcopter frame

This is the frame I'm looking at:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dh410-fpv...wheelbase.html

I was wanting to build a lite weight rigid (carbon-fiber) frame that would be an efficient Go-pro (or Mobius) platform. I've built a TBS discovery knockoff, but the plastic arms are to flexi for me and reduce stability, especially in the wind or during decent. I want to keep the build price down, so wanted to stay wit ha 10-11 prop and 2212 motors, which can all be run with 3S lipo's which are cheep and plentiful.

The frame above seems to fit my specs (222g) with retractable landing gear. And should allow for 20min flight time with a 3-axis gimbal, and and the specs. discribed above.

My one concern is the Square arms, most of these style quads (HJJ-H4) etc, have Tube arms, and are much heavier (~400g). Does anyone have experience with Square CF arms on a multirotor? Are the torsionally flexible? Are they as stiff as round CF tubes?

Do you know of any similar frames in this size weight range? I can find very little info on this frame, being that I only find it listed on GLB and ebay. Nobodies even posted anything on Youtube yet, so I assume it's a pretty new offering. Thanks for any insights you may have.

In case your interested, I'm putting a pixhawk lite FC in it, with oneshot/active dampening ESC's, and hope to eventually add optical flow along with the other standard offerings. And just in case your supper interested I posted an excel file of the calculations for this setup, and oen for the H4-450 (see tabs at bottom).
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2015, 08:05 AM
Heli Newb
great i love the frame and your setup, also i like your calculations thats a dream for an engineer (studying) like me. I think sqare tubes are great you dont need clamps for the motors so thats fewer weight, but thats just my opinion. Sure the round ones should withstand more torque but were talking about carbon fibre here that should be stiff enough. Against bending square tubes would be a huge improve to the "plate style" arms many smaller frames offer. I would love to see how you progress with this project Greetings
Jul 30, 2015, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill000r
great i love the frame and your setup, also i like your calculations thats a dream for an engineer (studying) like me. I think sqare tubes are great you dont need clamps for the motors so thats fewer weight, but thats just my opinion. Sure the round ones should withstand more torque but were talking about carbon fibre here that should be stiff enough. Against bending square tubes would be a huge improve to the "plate style" arms many smaller frames offer. I would love to see how you progress with this project Greetings
Thanks for the comment. Your thoughts on the square tube arms makes since to me, they should still be quite rigid in the vertical direction which is most critical. My biggest question right now is the quality of the frame since I haven't seen anybody fly it or review it anywhere (not here or youtube). I'm very curious if the 222g (which is fantastically lite) is real. It would make it the lightest 400mm quad frame that I can find.
Jul 30, 2015, 02:31 PM
Found a complete built version of this with pictures and a camera gimbal. See pictures at the bottom too. The add says it's all Carbon, which is impressive, if true, and would explain how lite it is. I'm more convinced now, it looks like a quality frame. here is the link.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=44890020127
Aug 19, 2015, 10:29 AM
Did you buy it? Seems quite promising
Aug 19, 2015, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by difto
Did you buy it? Seems quite promising
No, not yet, perhaps on next months RC budget! I'd like to see some feedback from others too. I've also found some people in China, that have posted build and flight videos bu the Chinese website is really flaky, and you have to wait like 20min before most videos will begin to load:

build video
http://www.zhuatieba.com/video/XMTI4ODYyMDIzMg==
http://www.zhuatieba.com/video/XMTI3NDA1NzIxNg==

flying video links
http://www.zhuatieba.com/video/XMTI3Mjc4NDM0NA==

Would be nice if we could read the Chinese text in the video:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODc2OD...rom=s1.8-1-1.2

Flight characteristic look reasonable, but was not a rigorous test... they were testing RTL it looks like.

video showing how gimbal mounting works:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI2MTg2Njc2NA==.html
Aug 25, 2015, 06:08 AM
Ok, thanks for the videos, looks quite promising! I will also see actually by ZMR takes much of my time
Sep 19, 2015, 01:16 PM
Anyone built this frame yet?
Sep 20, 2015, 07:25 PM
I haven't had the time yet. Don't know if hunter3316 ordered it?
Sep 20, 2015, 11:23 PM
I ordered it about 2 weeks ago, but still waiting on it, will post thoughts once it comes in.
Nov 05, 2015, 01:02 AM
Any updates? I was thinking of getting this frame. It's one of the lighter ones I've seen, and the packed size looks appealing.
Nov 05, 2015, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon
Any updates? I was thinking of getting this frame. It's one of the lighter ones I've seen, and the packed size looks appealing.
It's a good time to ask: I received the frame 1-2 months ago, and only recently had the time build the quad. I was going to post pictures and a small build description, but not sure how long that will take me... we'll see.

For now, in short, the frame is truly that light weight, it's like holding a feather, and yes it is real carbon fiber, and amazingly strong for it's weight. The arms fold in nicely and lock into place with a little spring mechanism. when folded up it's smaller than a 250 size quad, but I'll have to verify that later. Also the frame was allready assembled when I recieved which was fantastic! (I ordered the one on aliexpress, you can also find them on ebay, and goodluckbuy. A couple of the arms I received were a bit scratched up which was disappointing, but they refunded me some money b/c of it.

I was able to fit a distribution board, 18A ZTW ESC's (SK-oneshot), the receiver, BEC, and power module sandwiched in the inside. There is a little more room left but not much. My one gripe would be an extra cm in height inside would be a huge help, and wouldn't effect the swept area size so wouldn't effect efficiency. I have big hands, and only my smallest fingers can reach to the middle of the frame, so I used tweezers a lot during assembly. But as long as you planned out your assembly it was fine. I also chose not to take it apart for assembly, which I could have. I thought the locking mechanisms for the arms might be a pain to restall (they are spring loaded), but honestly, it may not be that big of a deal. The Pixhawk lite, GPS, and telemetry went on top. There are lots of holes for wires, and the build is quite clean. I was able to run 5 wires threw the arms (they've made cut-outs to a supportive hinge grommet so this is possible, which was very nice of them), but they had to be 22aug wires, which is OK since my motors are 10A max. Motors are cheepo no-name gold 2212 (you probably know the ones). Also, not shown in the manufacturer pictures, the ends of the arms come with built in LED's, which is nice. red/green on the front, and white in the back, (thus 5 wires to run through the arms).

It fits 10" props just fine, and I probably have 2" at most between the ends of the props, which may not be the most efficient, I plan on testing with 9 and 8" props too.

As for hover time: on a 3S 2200Mah I'm getting 15min.
on two of those (4400Mah) I'm getting 22 min.
I've ordered a 5500mah to see what that will do, I'm hoping for 30min.
I think hover time can be further improved with more efficient props, and perhaps a better motor.

I don't have total weight b/c I don't have an appropriate scale, but I"m guessing that the 4 motors themselves weigh more or equal to the frame plus all electronics (not battery).

In summery, I'm really happy with the frame, and I'm elated with the hover time and flight characteristics (it's supper stiff, and lite). It's a very very efficient frame, and with only a single 2200mah bat. it is way over powered, it's as quick as my 250. (which is good, since it still has lots of maneuverability once I throw on a heavy battery and gimbal/camera). Looking down on the props there is very little frame under the prop circumference, which optimizes efficiency of course. Even the wheels (landing gear) are positioned directly under the motors, so they don't catch thrust from the props.

My plan was to make this a mobius (runcam hd) platform. I'm going to start with a front mount servo gimbal and see how well this works. This is just for shooting fun family video's and posting fun stuff to youtube, so I'm not worried about silky smooth production quality video. I just want my runcam HD in the air for areal video, on an efficient platform than can go in a backpack. So I figure the servo gimbals will suffice, and the advantage is that it can be supper lite too, so I can maintain those hover times! I may try a brushless servo in the future too, we'll see.

Postscript: I tried guided mode and follow-me mode with the tower app on my phone this morning (my first attempt), it worked flawlessly, it was so fun, like having a dog follow behind you while you walk around the house. Now to get a gimbal/camera on it. I'll try to post pictures sometime soon.
Nov 05, 2015, 01:02 PM
I have a set of Air Gear 350 sitting here waiting for a frame, this look like it...
Nov 05, 2015, 01:47 PM
Thanks hunter, all this is great news to me. My build plan is very similar to yours, my eventual goal is to have a fpv quad, with a front mounted gimbal. Packed size is very important to me, because I want a quad that I can take with me while traveling. The only other contender I see is the 450mm one, but that is a solid 150g more, before you add the landing gear. I'll finish ordering all the goodies this weekend, my plan is get my build started over the new year break.
Nov 05, 2015, 10:03 PM
I would love to build my first quad with this frame. I have had an Alias for a few months. That is the only exsposure to quads I have. Looking for long run times and the ability to FPV and shoot HD video and stills. Subscribed to monitor your progress.