Jun 28, 2004, 06:33 PM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Thread OP

Don't try this at home. Save it for the field

Ok, so hypothetical situation: you're at the field and you've been flying your Logo all day long. You've been charging off your car battery and decide to go home with one pack still charged. You go to start the car and you get the all too familiar sound of a dead battery. What do you do?

(Yes, it works )
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2004, 08:20 PM
I used my field battery to jump a guy's car once, but never my heli packs...

Toshi
Jun 28, 2004, 08:28 PM
LOL. sweet. i guess those sub Cs should be able to handle a few hundred amps for a few seconds. did they get hot?
Jun 28, 2004, 08:41 PM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Thread OP
I used the pack to charge the car battery, though I suspect it would work for a small car like mine. I wouldn't start a truck with one though

BTW, I'm not recommending people do this... Car batteries can deliver a whole heap of Amps. It can be dangerous...

--jim
Jun 28, 2004, 09:30 PM
i see. still, i wouldn't be too surprised if the pack could start a car.
Jun 28, 2004, 11:42 PM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Thread OP
I'm sure it's within the batteries' abilities, but not my connectors. Some of the slope guys discharge these cells in 90 seconds. That's about 100A, which should be enough to start a car.

In this case, 12 cells was well matched to the car battery voltage, so I connected them directly. Left it for about 2 minutes and then disconnected. It started right up.

I expected the pack to get a little warm, but it didn't. Perhaps next time I'll do a more scientific test

--jim

Quick Reply