Jan 18, 2002, 12:23 PM
Thread OP

foam glue / epoxy substitute?

I am about to try my hand at making a plane out of 1"X2'X8' pink home insulation.

As far as adhesives go, are there any out there that set quickly like epoxy, but sand easily. I am afraid of getting those ugly "ridges" at all of the seams, where the foam has been sanded away on either side of the adhesive.

I realize that this may be a very basic question, but I really have only worked with foam cores before, so the foamie world is still new to me.

Thanks,

C.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2002, 02:01 PM
crashnburn
crashnburn
cenman,

Many people swear by Elmer's Probond. It is foam friendly, and easy to work with. Not too expensive, either.

Don
Jan 18, 2002, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
What is the estimated drying time?
Jan 18, 2002, 03:56 PM
The drying time is about a day for a full proper drying. I've started working with it after about 6 hours and it was fine. Nothing beats epoxy for quick building though.

-Trent
Jan 18, 2002, 05:36 PM
3M super 77 is a VERY fast spray adheasive, the spray is a bit cumbersome so many guys just spray it into a jar or small cup and brush it on, It starts to tack up after about 30 seconds or so and after it tacks up on BOTH surfaces, you just stick what ever togeter and it is tacked, It set up perminatly in like 5 mins or so, just read the app instructions on the can. Most hardware stores carry it too, its between 7 and 10 bucks a can and has many uses around the house too .
There is also oderless CA that is foam safe and works much like regular CA except it takes just a bit longer to set, like 20 -30 seconds instead of 15 to 20. That will get you built up quick provided you LHS has some, many dont cary it.
Jan 19, 2002, 06:57 PM
I'm playing with foamboard and have found that double-sided tape (the stuff with nothing but goo after you remove the paper) works very well.

Once stuck, I can't get it loose without tearing up the foam! And I'm talking on the edges of foam spars, not just large flat areas.

How long it lasts from temp changes, abuse, etc. only time will tell!
Jan 19, 2002, 08:42 PM
MK
MK
Where can you get it?
Jan 20, 2002, 05:54 AM
The stuff I have is special 1/4" sailmaking seam tape left over from my hang glider building days. They may have it at fabic stores. Worth a call.

I've also found some at "Into the Wind" kite supply that's 1/8" wide, but it's expensive at about $7 a roll.

I haven't tried it yet, but there's a 2" wide roll of the stuff at my work that was purchased at the local hardware store as "carpet tape". Cheap I think, but more work slicing thin strips.

Quick Reply