Mar 20, 2017, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madracinskillz
I dont think LP has anything like airmode that I know of. Yep, I am done for the night this baby is dialed in on BF now with everything working as it should....FINALLY!!!

One last question...I have angle mode and horizon set on my aux channel...I assume acro is setup automatically if I have neither of these selected correct. Also, tomorrow is it best to fly in angle mode first (is that the self level mode) for BF. And that should do it my friend!!! thanks!!!

Yup, acro is default, so if you're not in horizon or angle, you are in acro.

Airmode is like an extra add on. It can be used on all. I found angle not responsive enough for me, coming from GPS quads. Horizon was great for me, but careful if you are a stick banger as it will flip.

The rates are very configurable on betaflight.

If you are connected to configurator, have lipo plugged in, and taranis on, you can test rates by looking at the model and how it moves on the screen. Pretty nice feature. Just don't arm it.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2017, 08:39 PM
I should add

Angle is self leveling with an angle limit. Set on the pid page if it's set at 45 degrees, you will only tilt 45 degrees.

Horizon doesnt have an angle limit. It will flip at full stick.
Mar 20, 2017, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfarts
I should add

Angle is self leveling with an angle limit. Set on the pid page if it's set at 45 degrees, you will only tilt 45 degrees.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying for me. It def helps me understand what the modes are and how they work.

Nice tip on checking the modes first while connected. I will try that out.
Mar 20, 2017, 11:08 PM
Adam RED Weston
As a follow up...

Horizon mode acts like angle mode if you stay near the middle of your stick travel (and the "middle" is adjustable on the pid page) where the copter will return to level when you center the pitch-roll stick. However, once you move outside the defined "middle" it will go ahead and keep rolling or flipping until you let off of the stick.

It's actually more awkward to define than to actually use. I find it hovers around nicely, and then when I want to do a flip, I push the sticks all the way and it does the flip. Hardest part is stopping the flip with the copter right side up so the horizon mode takes back over and self levels. The other hard thing to do is to relax enough to let off on the sticks and trust the self leveling to take over... I could never get that right.

Ultimately, the pundits are right, move to acro mode in FPV as soon as you can... line of site hovering doesn't really help you learn FPV that much.

RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfarts
I should add

Mar 20, 2017, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madracinskillz
Having trouble calibrating these stock ESC's...I watched a video where he says to put the master slider all the way up , then plug in your battery, let you esc sing then you set master slider to min. problem is my esc's never stop signing...they just keep going for a while??? also, when I push up on the master slider, all the motors do not start up at the same time? some are way off?? any suggestions on this one.
My ESCs don't stop singing either.
I also set my motors all to the same min, though they didn't all start at the same exact number.
How much is "way off?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_HLG
Ultimately, the pundits are right, move to acro mode in FPV as soon as you can... line of site hovering doesn't really help you learn FPV that much.

RED
Agreed! ++
It wasn't until I got FPV goggles and move to full acro that I fully started enjoying this hobby. It's an entirely different level of fun.

Something no one ever told me, but I picked up on a simulator, is the pinch method with the controller sticks. I was pressing my thumbs down on them for the longest time. Once I moved to a pinch of finger and thumb my corrections became less abrupt and I felt like I actually had more controll. It helps if you are sitting. Give it a try. It maybe awkward at first.
Last edited by Feldzpar; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:06 AM.
Mar 21, 2017, 05:28 AM
So I have a Racer 250 sat here in pieces and I'm wondering if now that I have a Wizard I should even bother fixing my Racer up.

I do have 4 spare motors and four ESCs so it feels like a real waste.

Because of the weather here in Scotland I never really got the chance to fly the Racer in acro and while it flew fine in angle mode I'm wondering if now that I'm used to doing flips rolls and stuff would the Racer even fly like that?

I never done a single mod to my Racer so I'm thinking maybe flashing betaflight, Blheli to ESCs (you can with FTDI cable right?) is all I'd need for a decent improvement in performance? Maybe some tri props?

I've also got a spare F303 X Racer FC and an RROSD evo lieing about so with a little 190-210 frame I could maybe transplant the Racer into something much more light weight?

But then I start thinking isn't it going to be the motors and ESC properly bottle necking my performance?

I basically can't make up my mind if it's worth doing something with the bits etc or abandoning it and all my spares. Opinions?
Last edited by Duncan1234; Mar 21, 2017 at 06:17 AM.
Mar 21, 2017, 06:29 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Wow, that's all very good community support for madracinskillz despite the ER250 had been released for such a long time! Thumbs up to everyone who helped!!!
Mar 21, 2017, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan1234
So I have a Racer 250 sat here in pieces and I'm wondering if now that I have a Wizard I should even bother fixing my Racer up.

I do have 4 spare motors and four ESCs so it feels like a real waste.

Because of the weather here in Scotland I never really got the chance to fly the Racer in acro and while it flew fine in angle mode I'm wondering if now that I'm used to doing flips rolls and stuff would the Racer even fly like that?

I never done a single mod to my Racer so I'm thinking maybe flashing betaflight, Blheli to ESCs (you can with FTDI cable right?) is all I'd need for a decent improvement in performance? Maybe some tri props?

I've also got a spare F303 X Racer FC and an RROSD evo lieing about so with a little 190-210 frame I could maybe transplant the Racer into something much more light weight?

But then I start thinking isn't it going to be the motors and ESC properly bottle necking my performance?

I basically can't make up my mind if it's worth doing something with the bits etc or abandoning it and all my spares. Opinions?
If you really have a lot of time on your hands, and you enjoy modding & learning more than flying, then perhaps you'd want to work on your ER250 instead of your Wizard X220. But... given that there are so many cool flying toys around, and how fun flying this, I'd definitely spend my time wisely.
Mar 21, 2017, 08:26 AM
No Title
I will look backwards and search in this thread, but in case it's an off the top of your head kinda thing:

(Eachine Racer 250, CC3D FC, deVention RX1002, Devo 10 TX)

I put Betaflight on the CC3D FC. I have a basic Devo/Deviation model. Everything is going according to my experience and what I can google.

I believe I have plausible values for min command min throttle and max throttle, 1000, 1070, 2000.

The receiver section shows my throttle going from 1000-1900 on the stick as it should.

The motors section runs the motors from 0 to full blast on the slider as it should.

BUT when I arm the quad, all motors seem to jump to a high RPM once I advance the throttle past a certain point.

I realize it's not flying, just propless on the bench, but this doesn't match my experience and doesn't feel like PID confusion.

Any ideas or things to try would be appreciated!

crash7X
Mar 21, 2017, 08:35 AM
Nope, the receiver should send values to the throttle channel from 1000 to 2000, not 1000 to 1900.

Did you perform ESC calibration?

On the Receiver section, check your throttle channel response. Move your throttle very gradually and observe how it varies. Does it jump, or does it increase gradually? Might have to do with a throttle curve that is accidentally applied to the RX throttle channel, or you have applied throttle expo on the FC.
Mar 21, 2017, 08:50 AM
Adam RED Weston
Crash,

Any chance you are in air mode and the copter thinks it's not level and the fc is trying to drive it back to level?

RED
Mar 21, 2017, 09:44 AM
No Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_HLG
Crash,

Any chance you are in air mode and the copter thinks it's not level and the fc is trying to drive it back to level?

RED
Thank you and @FryeSG:

I fixed the throttle, 1000-2000. I checked it, smooth like silk. I (re)did a calibration of the ESCs, this time it sounded different and somehow better, so I think I managed to actually accomplish it. I continue to look for videos that play exactly what I am supposed to hear. As I say, in this last run it sounded like the descriptions. Evidence that I did do something (!) and did have something wrong is that a motor that I thought had broken (or its ESC) came back to life. I didn't mention the "broken" motor, prolly should have. I just thought it was a separate thing to be dealt with down the road.

The Devo model is dead simple. Nothing I would fly with, just min-max on four channels and two switches for arming and flight mode. I do not have a range programmed on the FC for "air mode". Yet. I have some ways to go before I even need to get my head around air mode! But good idea.

I set min throttle to 1200 for now because:

Although the motors section runs the motors just fine (they all start by 1070), I still find I have no throttle control: when armed the motors all jump off to some quite high speed at throttle reading CLUE? 1100…

Which I just now see is -100% on my Devo screen (deviated TX), which displays the throttle -125% - 125%. I had to change the scale factors to get the throttle range to show 1000 to 2000. In the deviation mixer, there are two ways to do this. I also found this necessary to get the FC to arm. Either scaling methods leave me in the same place.

I happen to have an un-deviated transmitter (bargain insomniac one click paypal ). I have no idea how to work it, the first thing I did with my Devo 10 is the deviationtx thing, never even tried it undeviated. But

The stock transmitter seems to think 1100-1900 is 0 to 100 percent, just powering it on and using the first model that comes up. The throttle works the throttle channel 1100-1900, the other channels are mixed up and/or reversed, never mind that. And I am again unable to arm the quad.

I haven't had any trouble quite like this. On the same hand, I am operating at a shocking level of ignorance on the depth and breadth of all the knowledge that can be, er, known on these matters…

crash7X
Mar 21, 2017, 09:47 AM
No Title
And I have developed a keen appreciation for doing all this screwing around with the propellors off. Still drives the cat crazy…

c7
Mar 21, 2017, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG
Wow, that's all very good community support for madracinskillz despite the ER250 had been released for such a long time! Thumbs up to everyone who helped!!!
I agree with you! Everyone did an awesome job helping out! This is a great community of people coming together to help each other out the best we can. I will hopefully get a test flight in today and report back.

Everything is ever evolving in this hobby so I appreciate all the advice and help
Mar 21, 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldzpar
My ESCs don't stop singing either.
I also set my motors all to the same min, though they didn't all start at the same exact number.
How much is "way off?"
Well mine were off pretty bad at first but I believe I did it wrong to begin with...so I RESET

1. unplugging battery
2. moving slider to max
3. plugged battery in
4. waited for them to sing, (I moved slider down on the very first pause) they kept singing away...I then unplugged the battery

Tested by moving the slider up and they all began to spin up nice and smooth all the way to max (props off )

I thought I did it wrong at first because it was not like any of the videos I seen, but it worked out just fine. Hope that helps!!

Btw...when I say off, I say about 5-10 per motor give or take...they definitely were not all starting up at the same time thats for sure!!