Jan 17, 2020, 05:35 PM
dbc
dbc
Just completed! Iíll install a short extension to the battery tray - it balances now about 2.5Ē unsupported toward the rear. I did the same with the Edge and itís worked out fine.

RTF weight 6lb 4oz is 1 oz lighter than the Edge. Windy here for the next couple of days as a cold front passes through. So it will be a while before the maiden.

Shown here with its sister ship - glad to hear you have one on the way, Sam!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
RTF weight 6lb 4oz is 1 oz lighter than the Edge. Windy here for the next couple of days as a cold front passes through. So it will be a while before the maiden.

Shown here with its sister ship

glad to hear you have one on the way, Sam!
Cold? in Florida? Hahahaha....really? It is cold in Massachusetts and Michigan, not Florida...LOL..

Dave, did you miss something about my upcoming Edge?
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Jan 18, 2020 at 01:42 AM.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:22 AM
dbc
dbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Cold? in Florida? Hahahaha....really? It is cold in Massachusetts and Michigan, not Florida...LOL..

Dave, did you miss something about my upcoming Edge?
I did - Iím a little slow sometimes -

Itís the larger 65Ē one!

Probably going combustion with that one?
Jan 18, 2020, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
I did - I’m a little slow sometimes -

It’s the larger 65” one!

Probably going combustion with that one?
LOL...yeah, it is the 65" one. I just acquired an Eastern block made MVVS Nitro engine with a pump carb, if it runs well it'll go in there, if not, may get a Tacon 110...
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Jan 18, 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Jan 18, 2020, 06:58 PM
dbc
dbc
Maidened +3 additional flights.

Sbach flys every bit as nice as it looks. Maybe nicer than the Edge? (Oh no!)

Low temps in the 30ís here tomorrow night, Sam. And thatís brutally cold for central Fl.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
Maidened +3 additional flights.

Sbach flys every bit as nice as it looks. Maybe nicer than the Edge? (Oh no!)

Low temps in the 30’s here tomorrow night, Sam. And that’s brutally cold for central Fl.
That IS cold, I agree...It has been windy and cold here in North Cal too, 30's too at night.

Congrats, the Sbach flies great. I thought you may like it better than the Edge. It is just a great design full scale and model. Did you add the decals? they look great!
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Jan 18, 2020 at 11:17 PM.
Jan 19, 2020, 08:23 AM
dbc
dbc
I usually prefer minimal decoration on these RC planes. Especially if they have an attractive color scheme. I might add one or two small more decals to the Sbach but that will probably be all.

My kit came with the cowl decals already installed, first time Iíve seen that with a Phoenix plane. They werenít very well aligned but it looks like it was clear coated over the entire cowl after installation. Same with the pre applied wheel pant decals. Was your supplied like that?

I used a few stickers on earlier Phoenix Tucanos but my current one has none - and I think I prefer it like that. But all this is entirely personal preference.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 19, 2020 at 08:46 AM.
Jan 19, 2020, 08:31 AM
dbc
dbc
One observation in my first Sbach flights: The plane is a little reluctant to rotate smoothly for takeoff. Seems to stick to the runway then suddenly leap off at a fairly steep climb out angle.

I tried different techniques and liftoff speeds with about the same results. I’ve seen this in trike planes and it’s usually caused by an insufficient wing AOA.

Any thoughts on this?
Jan 19, 2020, 10:37 AM
Bret Martin

Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
One observation in my first Sbach flights: The plane is a little reluctant to rotate smoothly for takeoff. Seems to stick to the runway then suddenly leap off at a fairly steep climb out angle.

I tried different techniques and liftoff speeds with about the same results. Iíve seen this in trike planes and itís usually caused by an insufficient wing AOA.

Any thoughts on this?
Same here. I have about 12 planes from foamy jets to 30% Sbach 342. Over the last 35 years I have had too many to count. First flight I thought it was going to be a land rocket. I have to build up plenty of speed and then "fly" it off the ground with a little up. It is balanced so inverted it takes just a slight "touch" of down to maintain altitude. So it isn't nose heavy keeping it on the ground. Very aerobatic but will snap easily.
I once had a tricycle plane that I had the nose gear too short. I would not take off, no mater the speed or elevator input, until I lengthened the nose gear.
Jan 19, 2020, 01:59 PM
dbc
dbc
Interesting that Bret has noticed this, too.

The Edge will do beautiful takeoffs with realistic shallow climb-out angles very consistently. These planes are similar but certainly not identical. The Edge has a shorter tail moment and the wings are mounted much higher on the fuselage. This could account for some of the differences in flight performance.
Jan 19, 2020, 04:19 PM
I didn't notice this on mine in 4 flights or so. It was windy thu.

Try a touch of down elev when accelerating, as the tail comes up it should rotate nicely. The Germans went thru the same issue with the ME-262 Twin Jet prototype tail dragger, Pilots had to touch the brakes a little to raise the tail up before they could take off. Then they went to tri gear and had no take off issues.

Yes, my cowl decal is off as yours! No QC!!!! LOL.
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Jan 20, 2020 at 09:41 PM.
Jan 22, 2020, 03:11 PM
dbc
dbc
Studying this ďreluctance to rotateĒ thing. Iím about convinced itís caused by insufficient angle-of-attack with the Sbach. Both of the pictures were taken at the same relative positions at the ends of the squared off wingtips.

You can easily see the AOA of the Edge wing is significantly greater than the Sbach. Different wing mounting positions as well as the longer Sbach fuse cause this. I lowered the Sbach tail wheel some to help but I doubt itís enough to make a difference. Other option would be larger main gear wheels - but Iím not going to do that.

Last option is just to accept it. Like Bret says - youíve got to allow a lot of takeoff speed then just ďfly it off the groundĒ.
Jan 22, 2020, 07:04 PM
Could it also be too much engine down thrust?

Or add a 1/4" ply doubler under the LG legs?
Jan 22, 2020, 07:35 PM
dbc
dbc
Both possibilities, Sam.

I don’t recall seeing much down thrust - but I probably didn’t check it carefully.

The ply under the LG legs is a excellent idea. Should be easy to do and not affect the looks very much.

I had a trike with this same problem. I spread the main gear legs just a little that resulted in raising the nose some and the problem was solved.
Jan 22, 2020, 07:50 PM
At top of a loop, reduce throttle a bit fast, if the inverted nose goes up , it may be have more down thrust than needed.

Quick Reply