This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 18, 2015, 01:41 AM
Thread OP
Video

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S 2S Brushless Conversion - Sundown Showdown

Best viewed in HD and Fullscreen! I finally took the plunge with my Stock HBZ Sport Cub S and performed the 2S Brushless Conversion. Using a spare UMX Carbon Cub SS Receiver Module, Eflite 2500KV Motor, Eflite 5x2.75" Prop, UMX Carbon Cub Long Prop Adapter, and UMX Carbon Cub Lights, I completed the procedure in about 6 hours.

Carefully removing the stock HBZ Receiver and Motor Mount, I took note of the indentations of where they were situated in the fuselage. I re-mounted the UMX Carbon Cub SS Motor Mount, being careful to line up the Mount to the Stock Motor Mount Location for a slight 1-2 degree angle to the right as well as down. I also replaced the Stock Receiver with the UMX Carbon Cub SS Receiver in the same location. Both were Foam-Safe CA'ed initially to the fuselage, and then finished with a perimeter coating of white silicone sealant type II.

I had to re-size the Rudder and Aileron Push Rods as the stock length was too long. I reattached the Z-Bends with CA Glue and then sealed the connections with Shrink Tubing and then with CA glued to both ends of the Shrink Tubing, and then re-attaching the Push Rods back on to the Module.

The Lighting System was the most intricate part of the work as I carefully had to remove the Lighting off the UMX Carbon Cub Wing with an Xacto Knife, and then follow the trail of "spaghetti" to the connection that led to the Board. After careful observation, I re-installed the Lighting System onto the HBZ Sport Cub Wing by creating two small slits in the fuselage, running them through and out onto the wing. The LED ends were then Foam Safe CA'd onto the HBZ Sport Cub wing and the wires were aligned to the painted (blue) portion and taped on (just like it was on the UMX Carbon Cub Wing). Then taking a light spackle, I just ran my finger on the slits that were made on the fuselage, closing them up and then repainted the spackle with an acrylic dark blue paint. Taking my time, it was a very clean installation.

I had initially put on a GWS 5030 Prop on the UMX Carbon Cub Long Neck Adapter but changed my mind later and opted for an Eflite 5x2.75 Prop as I also wanted to attach a UMX Carbon Cub Spinner to the Prop, finishing the "Sleeper" look.

After doing the initial tests of the Motor, Balanced Prop, Lighting System, and Control Surfaces, I re-sealed the Fuselage and prepped her for her Maiden. Here is her Highlight Video. Footage was from her Maiden Flight:

HBZ Sport Cub S (2SBrushless) Conversion - Sundown Showdown (3 min 49 sec)

While having the Internals of a UMX Carbon Cub SS, I will emphasize that she does not fly like a UMX Carbon Cub SS without flaps.. As a matter of fact, she flys with the characteristics of a HBZ Sport Cub S with a lot more hidden power inside and has more air authority. All of her maneuvers are more crisp; climbs to altitude are effortless, Rolls are sharp, Loops can be made to either short or long climbs depending on your commands, Immelmans are precise, Hammerheads can be made with high climbs to a dramatic stall turn, Inverted Flight can be made with just a touch of Down Elevator, and Knife Edges as well as Side Slips are easy to perform. The best part is that while having all these enhanced capabilities, she can slow down to her floaty Sport Cub self for effortless landings. No Flaps needed at all on this bird.

To keep to the "Sleeper" Look, I did not add the UMX Carbon Cub Wing Struts as it would have also involved some major cutting into the fuselage to glue the frame that it attaches to. It also would have added weight and would have changed the flight characteristics considerably towards the UMX Carbon Cub. The HBZ Sport Cub Wing also has a Carbon Fiber Stiffening Rod already built into the wing. It adds rigidity with some flex to the wing and with the slight dihedral that is built in, I suspect that is what makes this Sport Cub so easygoing in the air. And that is exactly what I was going for.

Battery used was an Eflite 7.4V 2S 200mAh 30C Battery. Using Industrial Velcro, she balances to the Stock CG perfectly if placed rear-most in the Stock Battery Cavity. Larger 2S Batteries may be used, but this Battery fits perfectly with no foam cutting required. Flights of 7 minutes are easily achieved due to the lightweight airframe, even with the upgraded internals and custom Dubro 2" Tundra Tires.

Overall, this HBZ Sport Cub S has the power of the UMX Carbon Cub SS but still has the same mannerisms as before.. only better. The SAFE System is gone, but I never used it in the first place. The big positive? No more replacing Brushed Motors. Not to go total geek here, but it was as if I gave this Sport Cub S a dose of some Captain America Serum, taking what was already there and just making her better.

Having performed the same procedure on the UMX Corsair using UMX Beast 3D Internals, I would have to declare this second attempt a success. If you have the parts, I would highly recommend this Conversion.

Music Video inspired by the beautiful and talented Lindsey Stirling:

Roundtable Rival - Lindsey Stirling (3 min 39 sec)

I hope you enjoy the video and as always if you like it, feel free to hit the Like Button and Subscribe.

Thanks for watching!
Last edited by Blaze0021; Jul 18, 2015 at 04:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2015, 04:46 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
Cool, I have a broken Carbon Cub so this could be a fun upgrade.

How did you make the tundra tires?
Aug 15, 2015, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald
Cool, I have a broken Carbon Cub so this could be a fun upgrade.

How did you make the tundra tires?
I gently pried off the Foam from a set of these Dubro 2" Super Lite Wheels: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAZE3

The Foam is a PITA to remove and requires patience as well as a blunt nose pair of pliers as you grip the edge of the Hub and pull.. and pull your way around. The Foam will eventually give, but will not tear.

Then I took the Hubs from these Wheels: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNB8

I spray painted the Hubs a metallic black, added the lug nut details and then press-fitted them directly on the Dubro 2" Super Lite Foam. They are a direct fit and will not come off. The Hubs are also a direct Landing Gear Fit which makes installation easy.

That's it.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Nov 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Aug 15, 2015, 05:51 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
I gently pried off the Foam from a set of these Dubro 2" Super Lite Wheels: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZE3&P=7

The Foam is a PITA to remove and requires patience as well as a blunt nose pair of pliers as you grip the edge of the Hub and pull.. and pull your way around. The Foam will eventually give, but will not tear.

Then I took the Hubs from these Wheels: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNB8

I spray painted the Hubs a metallic black, added the lug nut details and then press-fitted them directly on the Dubro 2" Super Lite Foam. They are a direct fit and will not come off. The Hubs are also a direct Landing Gear Fit which makes installation easy.

That's it.
Thanks. I like those tires you're using.
Aug 15, 2015, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald
Thanks. I like those tires you're using.
Thank you!
Aug 21, 2015, 07:28 PM
Do you have to use the Carbon Cub receiver or can you still use the one that comes with the Sport Cub S for the navigation lights?
Aug 23, 2015, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepalmer
Do you have to use the Carbon Cub receiver or can you still use the one that comes with the Sport Cub S for the navigation lights?
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe you can plug in the UMX Carbon Cub SS Lights in the Aux Port of the HBZ Sport Cub S Receiver (this is the Aux Port where you would plug in the optional FPV Camera to). If you have the HBZ Spot Cub S Receiver Board and UMX Carbon Cub SS Lights, maybe try plugging in a battery with the Lights plugged in that Aux Port and see if it works. Let me know what you find!
Aug 23, 2015, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe you can plug in the UMX Carbon Cub SS Lights in the Aux Port of the HBZ Sport Cub S Receiver (this is the Aux Port where you would plug in the optional FPV Camera to). If you have the HBZ Spot Cub S Receiver Board and UMX Carbon Cub SS Lights, maybe try plugging in a battery with the Lights plugged in that Aux Port and see if it works. Let me know what you find!
Ok, I'll order the wing from the Carbon Cub and mess around with the lights and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll use the receiver from the Carbon Cub.
Nov 18, 2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Blaze,
could you post a link or name for the glue or silicone that you used to glue the mount?
Thank you!
Greetings
Mo
Nov 18, 2015, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbandthegang
Hi Blaze,
could you post a link or name for the glue or silicone that you used to glue the mount?
Thank you!
Greetings
Mo
Hi Mo,

To glue the mount, I initially started with Foam Safe CA and just gave a light coat of the surface to be glued with it and then pressed the two surfaces together. Followed soon after with a super light mist of zap kicker (I spray the kicker in the air and then fan the fuselage with the part through the misted air).

When the part has set, I follow it up with a bead of GE Type II Silicone around the perimeter of the part on the fuselage.

This is the silicone: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-White-K...Caulk/19902079

Full Cure is 24 hours. The silicone acts as a secondary glue and also an anti-vibration dampening flexible seal.

I think I just "overkilled" the answer to this question, but there is the link to the silicone.

Thanks for checking out my plane.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Nov 18, 2015 at 03:22 PM.
Nov 18, 2015, 03:25 PM
We'll that overkilled answer is what i really needed.

I have such huge probs with the standard motor and the gws 5043 dealing with the vibrations they cause. I'm thinking to change the mount, i glued with CA (originally HH used some kind of silicone or sth. thats why i asked initially) that is to hard and not minimizing any vibs and getting the mount of will cause a lot of cutting out of the fuselages foam.
But then i could switch to your Icarus system
Do the SAFE and AS3x still work with the changes? Even on high speeds?
Nov 18, 2015, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbandthegang
We'll that overkilled answer is what i really needed.

I have such huge probs with the standard motor and the gws 5043 dealing with the vibrations they cause. I'm thinking to change the mount, i glued with CA (originally HH used some kind of silicone or sth. thats why i asked initially) that is to hard and not minimizing any vibs and getting the mount of will cause a lot of cutting out of the fuselages foam.
But then i could switch to your Icarus system
Do the SAFE and AS3x still work with the changes? Even on high speeds?
Any replacement of the mount will require using a very sharp xacto knife, as you're going to want to run the blade around the perimeter of the mount on the original glue. Make sure you try to only cut into the glue and not the foam (which you can usually feel when you are using the xacto knife as you are stabbing into the original glue). With some patience and some gentle pulling, the mount will come off. I can usually remove the stock mount with the 4 prongs that stab into the fuselage intact with no problems after I slice around the plastic mounting base. Just take your time and be careful. You won't be removing much foam if any, if you used your xacto knife around the perimeter of the mount beforehand. I would highly NOT recommend just pulling the mount off without cutting the glue around it.

The GWS 5043 can cause some unwanted vibration, but that is usually just due to an unbalanced prop which can be remedied by dynamically balancing your prop. I always dynamically balance my props with very small pieces of scotch tape on the backside of the unbalanced blade. To dynamically balance the prop, you first need to run the prop with the motor to get a feel for how the prop is vibrating. Then with a small piece of scotch tape, apply it to one blade and run it again. If the blade is worse, then you know its the other blade that needs to be balanced. After identifying which blade is unbalanced, I cut small pieces of scotch tape and apply it to the middle of the unbalanced blade until the blade is smooth on throttle. When I do this initial test, for ease I place the small pieces of tape to the front of the unbalanced blade while counting the amount of tape I use. I can usually get it balanced after 2-3 applications. Once I figure out how much I need, I remove the tape from the front of the blade and then use the same amount of tape, applying it this time to the back side of the prop blade, so you can't see the scotch tape from the front.

My SCS 2S BL "Icarus" uses the UMX Carbon Cub SS ESC/Receiver Brick. This system only uses AS3X and operates perfectly and reliably to buffer any outside inputs, i.e. wind turbulence.

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S (2S Brushless) "Icarus" - GWS 5043 Prop / Wind Test (9 min 29 sec)

As the UMX Carbon Cub SS ESC/Receiver Brick has no SAFE System, thus there is no SAFE System on my SCS Icarus as well. Then again, I never needed it.

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S "Icarus" (2S Brushless) Flight - Defining "Irony" (4 min 58 sec)

And 5 months later, she's still a solid and beautiful flyer. I just upgraded her powerplant from her 2500KV Brushless Motor / GWS 5043 Prop to a new 3000KV Brushless Motor / Eflite 5.75x2.25 Prop, the same powerplant as the UMX Pitts S-1S.

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S (2S Brushless) - Yak/Pitts Prop 3000KV Flight (6 min 56 sec)

More overkill.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Nov 18, 2015 at 04:11 PM.
Dec 06, 2015, 10:50 AM
Zero point zero
First post. Excuse any miscues

I learned to fly on the HBZ sport cub s this year and it now has burned out motor. It's my only plane and I want to modify for more power while retaining the SAFE. I saw the early post regarding UMX lights with stock receiver, but I'm unsure what parts are interchangeable

Can I upgrade this plane using

UMX Carbon Cub SS Motor Mount
3000KV Brushless Motor (or must I use 2500 due to receiver)
Eflite 5.75x2.25 Prop
UMX Carbon Cub SS Long Prop Adapter
UMX Carbon Cub SS Prop Spinner
Eflite 2S 7.4 200mAh 30C Lipo Battery

And are all of these parts purchasable or must they be scavenged from a UMX Carbon cub SS?

Btw thank you for posting your mods on YouTube. That how I found this page.

Once again I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.
Dec 08, 2015, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blutarsky
First post. Excuse any miscues

I learned to fly on the HBZ sport cub s this year and it now has burned out motor. It's my only plane and I want to modify for more power while retaining the SAFE. I saw the early post regarding UMX lights with stock receiver, but I'm unsure what parts are interchangeable

Can I upgrade this plane using

3000KV Brushless Motor (or must I use 2500 due to receiver)
Eflite 5.75x2.25 Prop

And are all of these parts purchasable or must they be scavenged from a UMX Carbon cub SS?

Btw thank you for posting your mods on YouTube. That how I found this page.

Once again I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.
Mr Blutarsky,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Its been a heck of a busy weekend and the past few days. To answer your questions:

If you are going to modify this plane for a 2S Brushless platform but want to keep SAFE, you will need a 2S BL ESC / Receiver Board like the one installed on the UMX Habu S. That Board has SAFE installed.

You can certainly upgrade the plane with the parts below if your intent is to convert her to a 2S BL. Matter of fact, these are the ingredients for the 2S BL Conversion:

3000KV Brushless Motor of 2500 KV Brushless Motor - Both will require a 2S BL Receiver Board like the UMX Habu S ESC / Receiver Board that I mentioned above. Mine has the UMX Carbon Cub SS ESC / Receiver Board that only has AS3X (I never needed nor cared for the SAFE System).

Eflite 5.75x2.25 Prop

All of these parts are purchasable. The one piece you may have difficulty in purchasing separately is the particular UMX Motor Mount you'll need. This particular piece is found only by purchasing the fuselage of a UMX Carbon Cub SS or a UMX Beast 3D and cutting out the black mounting piece. Then you will need to purchase the UMX Beast 3D Firewall (EFLU4066) and put the pieces together.

Hope this helps.
Dec 12, 2015, 08:53 PM
Zero point zero
Thanks for your help. I priced out these parts and they are over $100 including eBay sources. Like I suspected it's more economical and less hassle to get a 2S UMX P47. Looks like I'm getting a new plane.

Quick Reply