Apr 27, 2016, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if the auto start in the super G and auto G are the same sprung shaft?

My super G sprung shaft has unwound at one end
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2016, 03:36 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
I think the shaft on the Super-G is a bit longer and thicker, but I'll compare the two and report back here.
Jul 11, 2016, 12:22 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
GREAT news for those still following this thread.

After months of trial, error and practice, I'm very pleased to report that I successfully flew the model in this review not once but twice just yesterday! I have user RobMason to thank for helping with the proper setup and HobbyKing for replacement parts, not to mention tech tips and moral support. Now that it's done right, it's a blast to fly!

I won't spoil the fun by telling everyone how I finally got to this point, so I'll let part two do the 'splainin when it's published. That'll be very soon, I can assure you.
Jul 11, 2016, 12:48 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation
I won't spoil the fun by telling everyone how I finally got to this point, so I'll let part two do the 'splainin when it's published. That'll be very soon, I can assure you.

Looking forward to it and thanks for following up.
Jul 11, 2016, 02:32 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
You bet, Sammy. Let me just say that Rob's setup tips and a modification to the main rotor fulcrum of my own doing were the tickets. Glad you answered so quickly!
Jul 11, 2016, 05:38 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
With bated breath I wait.
My super G is awaiting parts from HK but I'm hopeful that your "HobbyKing Super-G PNF Autogyro Review, Part Deux" will splain everything to me!
Jul 11, 2016, 06:24 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
With bated breath I wait.
My super G is awaiting parts from HK but I'm hopeful that your "HobbyKing Super-G PNF Autogyro Review, Part Deux" will splain everything to me!
You is gonna love it, you is.

I was totally prepared to either take it home in pieces - again - and even more totally determined to fly and land it. Two takeoffs, two flights and two successful landings.

You know, I kinda like that "part deux" thing! I think I'll rename it! In the meantime, I'll shoot you a PM with the settings I used and the very important modification I did.
Jul 11, 2016, 06:42 PM
Plane Nuts
Awesome
Jul 11, 2016, 06:58 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason
Awesome
Could NOT have done it without you, my friend.

I'll PM you a private link to the review. It's nearly complete and all I need is video and the OK from HobbyKing. Man, is it ever fun to fly! I have to admit that I had a case of the shakes, but I settled down during the second flight. It flew like a big, fast version of the Auto-G2 thanks to your setup tips!
Jul 11, 2016, 07:30 PM
Plane Nuts

I have a Frankenstein version of the G2. Got a bunch of parts from a crashed one and used the tail and boom from a SlowStick. Flies great. Still like the Super G better though. Now get some Aerobalsa blades since the review is done! It is a whole different animal - will slow to a crawl. Lots of fun low and slow around the field. Was flying formation with a Dynam Tiger Moth yesterday - was a blast.

Thanks for the shout out in the review. There are many more knowledgeable with gyros on here than me. I think I just pushed this airframe to (and past) it's limits. I leaned on several here initially, and then experimented from there. Knowledge of helis and fixed wing helped along with my own fixed wing design work and experimentation. Even though it flies like both, but neither of them.

People ask me at the field how it flies, and I think the closest analogy is that it flies like a crappy, mis-rigged, out of balance, Cub with control issues. However even a Cub like that, when flown right, can be lots of fun!

Rob
Jul 11, 2016, 07:39 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Couldn't have put it better myself! At least I can steer it around without it threatening to fall out of the sky. I need to work on controlling the tracking and yup, it has, um, issues.

Loving the idea of a G2 with a Slow Stick tail! I was given some parts for my own G2, but alas, a fuselage wasn't among them.
Jul 12, 2016, 03:44 AM
Quote:

People ask me at the field how it flies, and I think the closest analogy is that it flies like a crappy, mis-rigged, out of balance, Cub with control issues. However even a Cub like that, when flown right, can be lots of fun!

Rob
And you say that as if it was a bad thing??? Sounds like a well sorted, trimmed good mannered AG

Does take a slightly different skill set to play with these things. I was being asked by an FB of mine at the weekend about how AGs fly and was flying my Burky at the time. The Burky is a well mannered slow easy to fly model so I passed over the Tranny without thinking too much. My Buddy is defiantly one of the better pilots at our club so I didn’t see a problem… Had to ‘save’ my Baby twice by grabbing the Tranny back and he declared that she was possessed!!! Got him flying fairly smoothly on the next flight but fun to watch an ‘expert’ sweating

The only 2 flights which I have had on the Super G (Guy from another club couldn’t get his in the air so he came over for some help) I thought that she flew really well but obviously ‘well’ is relative with these things….

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Jul 12, 2016, 08:22 AM
Plane Nuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
And you say that as if it was a bad thing??? Sounds like a well sorted, trimmed good mannered AG

Paul

I think it flies great, but then again I have been accused of being a bit strange. I bring it out every time I goto the field. Along with my 4th hand beat up, passed down, Sig Cub that I do a Flying Farmer routine with. Just like wringing out the Cub, the Super G needs odd rudder at times, some pitch correction, care in roll, and can be a bit squirrelly on take off and landing (with my high gear) - love them both, mostly for the same reason. Low, slow, fun flying

I bring other stuff too (my car is commonly called the clown car) warbirds, giant scale, EDF' s, speed, WWI, but always squeeze in the Super G.

Rob
Last edited by RobMason; Jul 12, 2016 at 08:27 AM.
Jul 12, 2016, 07:24 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Quote:

I bring other stuff too...., but always squeeze in the Super G.

Rob
The Super G takes up a lot of space in a car due to it's odd shape.
Jul 13, 2016, 06:51 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Heck, now that I know it's supposed to fly like this, I'm really looking forward to the video shoot!

I was doing the same thing with the Auto-G2, namely packing it in the car with a bunch of 1300mAh li-pos practically every time I went to the field. I found that while relatively easy to land with the auto-start switched on, it turned out to be easier not to switch it on. It tended to torque roll to the right on touchdown and I brushed the blade tips on the runway a couple of times. No damage, thankfully. That's what I did with the SG this past Sunday, namely to land it au naturel without the auto-start. I was gobsmacked as to how beautifully it slowed for a landing.

Definitely an odd shape, but it's a perfect fit across the back seat with the main rotor removed.

Quick Reply