Jul 17, 2015, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

X-UAV Talon Build, focusing on custom parts

It's been awhile since I built a plane, with moving country and all. So I'm getting back to it with an X-UAV talon.

Tools at my disposal? Trotec, Epilog and Chinese lasers. CNC mill, CNC router, plus the full manual workshop you'd expect.

The talon comes with a disappointing set of options for mounting avionics, and I want to run at least an eagletree vector to get it flying then go up to a Pixhawk to setup the aircraft for aerial photography towing around a Sony A6000.

Some of these photos are a bit out of focus, still figuring out the whole mirrless deal with the A6000. Portability is great, figuring out quite where it focused is still something i'm working on! I'm used to full sized DSLRs.

First up, I modelled all the plywood parts in the talon in Solidworks. Nothing like some good reference data. For the front bulkhead and the tail skid I scanned them in to use for referencing the curves (just a standard multi function centre scanner). Now I can customise and modify at will!

My first pass at the avionics tray. T lock for M3 hardware.
Dislikes:
* "Upside down" screws go in from the bottom which isnt brilliant.
* Bulkheads in the way of running parts

I'll have a play around before assembling the airframe and see if I can come up with something better.

All the nice lasers are in use all day at the moment fulfilling some orders, so I was suck with the chinese laser, it does the job but its no Trotec

All the parts dry fit together perfectly, always a good sign!

Vector fits, with bucket loads of room. I really should model the vector in Solidworks, I have the pixhawk already done.

After the Avionics tray, I was told by the local fpv store here in Calgary I bought the plane from (http://myfpvstore.com), that I need to reinforce the motor mount or I'll a lack of thrust at some point far distant when the motor falls out. Great advice. He suggested 6mm ply, so 6mm ply it is.

A quick modification of the motor mount I had already drawn, and I had a nice doubler. I also adjusted the screw hole spacing to fit the T-Motor bracket I'm going to be using.

Rear focus for artistic effect???

Generous helping of gorilla glue around the bottom lip. The 3mm included motor plate was already thick CA'ed into place last night.

And clamp it all together to stop the gorilla glue creating a whole new planes worth of foam.

Note: I cut an extra motor plate and AV bay if anyone wants them?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2015, 11:12 PM
Thread OP
Ok so I didnt like the avbay tray screwing in from the bottom. I also realised that the forward extension goes into my battery area.

I spent significantly more time on this one, the first version was a 5 minute job to get something finished before heading to bed last night. This is more thought out based on how that test fitted.

I'm now using a locking tab system from above, with a 3mm screw through to keep it from shifting. This allows you to move the tray forward, or to slide it as far back as the airframe will allow. There are 6 tab holes mounted 10mm apart.

I've also opened up the bottom of the cross brace. This allows parts to be mounted on the bottom and still slide the whole tray in and out, allowing for different missions or just to change your electronics easily.

I have cutouts for securing Pixhawk and Vector OSD at the front, so it can butt up against the front cross piece (and therefore sit under the CG). There are holes for all the cables to drop through the frame from either vector or pixhawk.

At the back of the tray, far far away from everything else is a mount position for a DragonLink MicroRX, with a hole for servo cables to drop up or down (depending on if you mount the RX on the top or bottom).

Lots of weight reduction features, however these are mostly in the form of slots if they are not under a part. This allows me to mount things like becs and such to them using cable ties. It also keeps the grain line in the plywood lined up well for less flex on that rather extended back area
Jul 18, 2015, 01:31 AM
Thread OP
And lasered. Looks good.
Jul 18, 2015, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Test fitting Pixhawk (well a hobbyking clone, all the genuine ones are in aircraft already!)

Pixhawk and DragonLink:

Nice separation for RF performance. RX will be mounted on the bottom.

Vector fits perfectly.

And looks great with the DragonLink rx on the end.
Jul 18, 2015, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Test fit in the plane went well.
Jul 22, 2015, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
1.5W 1280mhz VTX mounted in the wing. I expanded the hole for the landing gear.

A little bit of poke out the top

Cables all soldered and glued in place, going to a MPX connector for connection to the fuselage.
Jul 23, 2015, 04:25 AM
Thread OP
Motor mounted

80A ESC tidily fits off to one half of the fuselage. Cables hot glued in place to prevent "accidents" and to maintain optimal airflow.

Vector or APM power sensor compatible by just using XT60s.

Jul 24, 2015, 07:16 PM
Looks good, but why not just Velcro your stuff to the floor of the plane like you did with your esc?
Jul 24, 2015, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Need room for batteries or aerial survey camera. The deck also gets everything nice and leveland allows me to switch out full avionics setups really quickly.
Jul 24, 2015, 11:40 PM
Oh, I see, you made a little apartment complex for your equipment.
Sep 22, 2015, 02:52 PM
Waypoint Collector
Nice build thread. Updates?
Jun 13, 2016, 03:04 PM
Nice custom parts. I really need you 3d files or stl files for your scanned wood parts as I have broken mine in a crash and would like to fab replacement ones. Can you post them please?

Quick Reply