This thread is privately moderated by Tbock, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 16, 2015, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
New Product

DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Repair Kit

If you're like me, you've just realized that your shiny new DJI Phantom 3 is far from indestructible. Even a "rough landing" can cause enough damage to your camera gimbal that your only option may be to completely replace the whole camera/gimbal assembly!

Every once in a while, there's an "Option B": Buy someone else's broken gimbal and hope that you can piece together one working gimbal out of the two. You might be upset with DJI for making such a fragile gimbal, but that's the price you pay for the great flight time.

I'm here to offer a third option, and I truly believe that it should be considered "Option A". I've spent weeks testing and refining a 3D printed alternative for DJIs aluminum Phantom 3 gimbal arms. I've assembled a gimbal repair kit that includes the yaw arm, roll arm, specialized tools, and video instruction on how to perform the repair. I also offer email and phone support to anyone who buys my kit.

I know many of you are skeptical about a 3D printed part being strong enough to replace the stock aluminum arms. It's a justified concern, but not all 3D printed parts are created equal. There are many people out there selling parts who don't have the necessary skills or experience to print quality parts. About 80% of parts being sold aren't even designed by the people who print them. I'd like the chance to prove to you that the "average" 3D printed part doesn't even come close to showing the full potential of what is possible with 3D printing technology. 3D printing is as much an art as it is a skill. The best comparison to working with a 3D printer is woodworking. When you print with plastic, you need to consider the "grain" of your part the same as if it were made of wood. Your print is going to be stronger in one direction than another, this needs to be considered in the design phase. A good designer can use these characteristics to their advantage to turn weakness into strength and impossible into incredible.

I'm not going to try to convince you that these parts will hold up better than the stock DJI parts because that might not be true. These parts will likely break in the same conditions that break the DJI parts. I could make them stronger than DJIs parts, but that would do more harm than good in a crash. If the arms don't break in a crash, the motor shafts will. If the arms are the weak spot, good! That is the cheapest repair. I can say with confidence that the parts I'm selling are strong enough to be a solid and reliable replacement for the stock DJI parts. Some extra care is needed during assembly because of the small screws, but that's common sense stuff and is covered in the instruction video. Once your gimbal is assembled, the replacement parts are very sturdy and don't require any special treatment. This kit is designed to use all original screws. If your yaw arm broke at the motor shaft, you may need to buy a new M3x4 set screw to use with the new yaw arm.

This kit includes:

•Yaw Arm
•Roll Arm
•Roll motor alignment tool
•Hardware layout sheet
•Video instruction guide (link to my YouTube videos)
•Email and phone support

Things you will need:

•Philips screwdriver #PH0
•Allen driver 1.5mm
•Torks driver #T6
•Hobby knife or small pick
•All original screws

I chose not to include a new ribbon cable (DJI Phantom 3 Part 49) in this kit because not everyone will need one. You can salvage the original if it's not damaged. Just be careful, a replacement will cost you about $50.

Here's the videos I've made to help with the repair.

Video #1 shows how to remove the gimbal:

How to remove a DJI Phantom 3 gimbal (3 min 29 sec)

Video #2 shows disassembly:

DJI Phantom 3 gimbal repair by Bock Hobby part 1 (13 min 44 sec)

Video #3 shows assembly:

DJI Phantom 3 gimbal repair by Bock Hobby part 2 (36 min 18 sec)

NEW Video! #4 shows yaw arm replacement only:

DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Repair - Yaw arm Replacement (23 min 59 sec)

Video #5 shows a powered test of gimbal movement.

@3DP P3 Gimbal Test (0 min 33 sec)

Video #6 shows test flight footage.

Tbocks 3D Printed P3 Gimbal Test 1 (0 min 29 sec)

I made a few small changes to the design of the roll arm since the assembly video. The parts in the photos and powered tests are the final version.

*There is no guarantee that this kit will fix everything that's wrong with your gimbal. This will only replace the bent or broken arms. I have successfully repaired 3 out of 3 broken gimbals with this kit so far though.
Last edited by Tbock; Sep 09, 2015 at 12:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2015, 10:49 PM
AMA42924 CD
Bless you sir! I hate paying $1000 for a non-repairable toy. Please send ordering instructions. Fast!
Earle
Jul 24, 2015, 02:24 PM

Worth every penny!!

Ordered the kit on a friday, got it monday. Install video is an excellent help. TOP NOTCH support! Learned a hard lesson but thanks to this kit and the support i received, Its like new. Highly recommended
Jul 24, 2015, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Great! I'm glad to hear everything worked out. I really think that 90% or more of these gimbals are repairable with this kit.
Jul 30, 2015, 08:04 AM
Just ordered, hoping this can replace my broken P3P gimbal ring piece. I managed to jury rig it with epoxy for now so I'm pretty confident your part will do the job as a more permanent replacement if I don't screw things up.

Kudos for you hard work on this, your videos were also a great help already.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Thanks! I haven't made many videos and this was the first one where I had to give instructions while I worked. It's really hard to remember to talk. Lol
Aug 02, 2015, 09:58 PM

Price and where to order?

How much are you selling this kit for and where can i order it from? have a broken yaw arm on my p3 and keen to get it back in the air. Sorry if i missed these details, i couldn't see them anywhere on the thread?
Aug 02, 2015, 10:09 PM
Another question, will this kit work fine if i only use one part of it (the yaw arm)? I presume so, however just thought i'd ask in case you had designed each part to only work with your other plastic parts and not the original parts...?
Aug 03, 2015, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
The parts were designed to work as a replacement SET. I have used only the yaw arm in a couple repairs and I know of one customer that used my 3d printed roll arm with an aftermarket aluminum yaw arm. I still can't guarantee that my parts will work with any combination other than what's sold in this set, but I can tell you that I haven't heard of any combinations that don't work.
Aug 03, 2015, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak7723
How much are you selling this kit for and where can i order it from? have a broken yaw arm on my p3 and keen to get it back in the air. Sorry if i missed these details, i couldn't see them anywhere on the thread?
Here's the link to my eBay listing. if you send me a message on RCgroups and pay through PayPal instead of eBay, I offer free shipping worldwide.
Aug 17, 2015, 04:41 PM

You are a life saver!

Man I think you just saved me... I had a second of panic while my phantom was closing in on a wall - facing me... I managed to nudge it away, then it got drawn quickly to it again (dunno why) and I accelerated forward to get away, sadly it caught some twigs of my hibiscus tree and fell on a hard surface over a height of 2 meters...

Heart was pumping (we're 2 hours later and I'm still in shock)... but I did manage to fly the phantom without the camera - also checked the body and nothing seems wrong... (except the round light on the battery lights red - is that due to the gimbal being missing?)

I dismantled it carefully and I saw that a part SM 3# (1) was broken along with the ribbon... And I ebayed it and found your replacement parts... you're a life saver man...

Can you email me a link to purchase just the SM 3# part from you? Do throw in the flex cable if you have it please...

I've messaged you on eBay but you can just send me a paypal request to avoid ebay fees...

--> reuben AT intnet DOT mu...

Thanks loads..

Reuben
Aug 18, 2015, 11:57 PM

I would like to buy the kit

Hi,

I would like to buy the kit. Plaese send me payment details. Thank you
Aug 20, 2015, 08:18 AM

Gimbal Repairs

I'm not sure I'll have the patience to perform the gimbal repair surgery. Do you offer that service and if so for how much.
Aug 20, 2015, 04:42 PM
Hi Tbock,
Please forward the instructions for the direct order from you. Add part 49 (cable ) if you can supply it. Thanks!
Aug 24, 2015, 11:47 PM

How do I get a Gimble repair kit

Hi - the 3D printed gimble repair kit looks perfect to me. How can I get one, how much does it cost and can you mail it to Thailand? [email protected]

Quick Reply