Control Tower - September 2002

Check out all new articles coming up during the last week of September!

Article Thumbnail

News

Since the last Control Tower column ran so late, I have already announced most of the news that I had for this month. However, I do have a few new items to report.
The E-Zone, LiftZone, and RC Groups have a new and improved advertising information page. If you are interested in advertising, I highly recommend that you take a look.
The LiftZone, the E-Zone's RC sailplane "sister" site is finally online! If you are a sailplane modeler, want to learn more about sailplanes, have a passing interest in sailplanes, or even met a guy whose friend's third cousin saw a sailplane on an old black and white movie, please stop by and check out the new webzine.
As for the September E-Zone articles, I have a boatload coming this month, and all will be published over the next week.

September Articles

Beaver Floats

Full-scale de Havilland Beavers are often seen on floats, and they just seem to look at home on the water. Michael Heer, the author of the recent E-Zone review of the GWS Beaver, found out that the GWS Beaver is just at home on the water as the full-scale archetype.

Big-T

Due to its "bounceable" and generally forgiving nature, and its capability to be set up with three or four channels, the Big-T would make a fine primary trainer or a fun sport plane. Capable of 15-minute training flights with the proper configuration, it provides more than plenty of stick time for most students. Set up with a more powerful motor, it can also be a thrilling sporty platform.

Dinah

The Dinah has everything going for it. It is a unique subject, a warbird, a twin-engine plane, and it flies like a pussycat. Anyone who has flown an aileron plane can easily handle flying the Dinah. Add to all of this the ease of building, fantastic quality of the fuselage and ABS parts, you simply cannot go wrong buying a Dinah kit.

Elexaco

At first look, it may seem that the Elexaco ARF is just meant to be a thermal seeker, but it has many other great attributes. While the Elexaco is basically a high aspect ratio park flyer, and a very stable flyer that has the ability to slow way down for confined areas, it can also speed up and penetrate winds. Additionally, the Elexaco has an aerobatic flight envelope. Among other maneuvers, it is capable of hammerheads and rudder rolls.

Helipad

This month's Helipad is devoted to the rank beginner. It provides a general guideline for setting up a helicopter and not specific to any machine. It also attempts to provide a starting point for new helicopter modelers so that they can set up their machines so that they only need minor tuning.

Junior

The quality of the kit is excellent, and the directions are easy to understand and include plenty of photos. The builders at Hacker have given great attention to detail during the assembly of the plane. If you are looking for a true, almost ready to fly plane and only have a couple of evenings to build, take a look at the Hacker Bolkow Junior.

Lunch with Keith - September 2002

Keith Shaw is again serving up sage advice and information on rudder finesse, AstroFlight motor timing, a "how to" on trimming a plane, and more!

Park Hawk

The bird is impressive, both as a complex piece of machinery and as a thing of beauty. It demonstrates a degree of "clockwork precision" that would make a Swiss watchmaker proud. Additionally, the flight of the Park Hawk is true to life, and looks like a predatory bird out on a hunting trip.

Recurring Charge

Battery chargers have come a long way in the past 20 years or so, and this column highlights those changes, as well as reviews a few of the current chargers on the market.

Split 280

The Split 280 is intended as a racer or combat plane, and really should be sold in pairs for double the fun! You really need to have more than one Split 280 to share with friends and indulge in some serious combat. The models are not extremely fast, but flown against each other, they would be a perfect match to compare pilot skill.

Sportwin

Mark Rittinger's Sportwin is as good as it gets. The airframe is very easy to build, uses very inexpensive components, and flies like a dream. If you haven't built one yet, check out this review and then go build your own!

Walsall Electric Fun Fly 2002

The Greenacres MAC are lucky enough to have the use of a disused grass airfield in Aldridge, Staffordshire, and once a year they kindly suspend their club flying for a weekend to host the increasingly popular two-day electric flight meet. If you weren't lucky enough to make it, you can check out this report by Tim Hooper.

Wattage P-51 Reno Racer

The P51 Reno Racer from Wattage offers quick assembly, good quality out of the box, a great manual, and good performance and looks. Although it is definitely not suitable as a novice trainer, this plane is very smooth and stable and would be a good pylon trainer.

X-Ray

In a nutshell, this plane is well worth the money! It's not light enough to be considered an F5B model, but it sure is fun to take to the power field and show the locals that all electrics aren't slow.

...other stuff

I don't have any new information about the PBY yet, but I do have some pictures of another plane that I finally set up, the Rare Bear from Hobby Lobby. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, so you may be asking, "Why is he showing us this?" The simple answer is that I just needed a picture for my column! (The kitty in the picture is the Rare Bear's chief mechanic. She's smart, thorough, and will work all day for catnip and tuna.)

Quick Reply