Jul 14, 2015, 07:07 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Build Log

Weasel, Wisel, and now the Esquared.....

A while back, a friend gave me some cores. Ended up looking like this, fast, fun and durable, flies in small spots with questionable landing zones (but a bit flimsy and way too much flex). I wanted more.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2015, 07:11 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
A conversation ensued and a few bucks were exchanged with the promise of a few more cores. On Sunday I received THE CALL, the cores have arrived. Here's what showed up. (Be careful what you wish for). Not one or two, but 11 sets. PW51 airfoil, 36" wing span.
Jul 14, 2015, 07:22 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Got busy on the first set. I wanted something a lot stiffer and more unique than a Hobbyking tape job. The first will be a down and dirty, out of the beds, proof of concept build. If it goes well, the next will be a shiny, blingy thing. The initial results look promising.....Details soon
Last edited by Tahoed; Jul 15, 2015 at 01:08 AM.
Jul 14, 2015, 07:31 PM
It's time for me to fly
Jul 14, 2015, 08:09 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
I was looking for the carbon fiber approach without the carbon fiber price, so I chose some .2oz Carbon fiber tissue (around $14 sq/yd, $21 shipped), but it should be good for 3 airframes, from ACP Composites. I used two layers for this build. Seems to be fine. Set it in place with a dusting of M45 and worked in the epoxy with a piece of foam. Why waste a brush? Fear not Hobbyking fans, there will be Hobbyking components in this project.

Top and bottom layup is done. Couple of epoxy heavy spots, but not worried about that at the moment. Used the cutouts from the top ends for the bottom ends.
Last edited by Tahoed; Jul 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM.
Jul 15, 2015, 01:42 AM
DS will change your life
Nice
Jul 15, 2015, 09:53 AM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
Nice
Never looked at your Wisel thread in depth until this morning, probably should have just added this one to yours....
Jul 15, 2015, 10:23 AM
Old Prop Buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
I was looking for the carbon fiber approach without the carbon fiber price, so I chose some .2oz Carbon fiber tissue (around $14 sq/yd, $21 shipped), but it should be good for 3 airframes, from ACP Composites. I used two layers for this build. Seems to be fine. Set it in place with a dusting of M45 and worked in the epoxy with a piece of foam. Why waste a brush? Fear not Hobbyking fans, there will be Hobbyking components in this project.

Top and bottom layup is done. Couple of epoxy heavy spots, but not worried about that at the moment. Used the cutouts from the top ends for the bottom ends.
Ed:
Can you elaborate on the .2oz Carbon fiber tissue layers around the edges? Besides adding stiffness will it add durability to the leading edges? What is M45? How much weight (approx.) will this add instead of carbon rod? Looks pretty cool so far.
Gary
Jul 15, 2015, 11:36 AM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
M45 is just less "sticky" than M77 or M90. All are 3M spray adhesives. The tissue comes in a couple of weights, .2 to .5oz/sq yd. I chose the .2 because I wanted two layers. I'll build at least one with some kind of spar. Have no idea about the weight thing yet, as I've only got the original one to compare it to when it's finished. More later.
Last edited by Tahoed; Jul 15, 2015 at 08:05 PM.
Jul 15, 2015, 06:42 PM
It's time for me to fly
Where does the name "Esquared" come from? I've always thought that if my son and I went into business together we would be "Z squared"

The carbon tissue doesn't have a good reputation if you search it in the composites forum. The problems seem to be that it doesn't add much stiffness compared to woven or uni-directional fabrics (very small % of the fibers are running in the correct direction) and it soaks up resin like a sponge so it adds weight. I knew nothing about all that when I bought 2 yards of it a couple years ago.
You can get Uni at pretty reasonable prices through CST or ACP.

But still, it's going to add something to the stiffness and durability, and being a slope plane a bit of extra weight isn't a big deal. And it looks cool which is important! Go for it.

Looking forward to seeing what you create here. I've been working on a 48" plank design that is still a work in progress. It flies well but needs some structural improvements. First one is foam and lam. film. Going to do a vac. bagged glass one "soon" (soon as time allows )

- Jim
Jul 15, 2015, 07:58 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
The guy who cut the cores name starts with an E and so does mine. I consider these foamies as expendable aircraft, fun to fly and they take a beating. The spot we fly has Junipers, rocks, and rattlesnakes, so expendable is good. I decided to use the tissue because I wanted this one to be relatively cheap, less than 30 bucks all up, less receiver, fly well, AND look cool. More curious to see how it holds up in a rugged environment. However, now that I have 11 cores, who knows what I'll use on some of them. Maybe a bagged one with Carbon/Aramid Red Fabric (for the cool factor). Setting up the bagging station is a project of it's own.
Last edited by Tahoed; Jul 15, 2015 at 11:47 PM.
Jul 15, 2015, 11:58 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Lot's of guys have been building these for a long time. Just trying to have some fun with foam and maybe along the way a few guys will find out it's as much fun (and not that hard) to build something as it is to buy and fly.
Jul 16, 2015, 08:31 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Clamped a straightedge and routed out the bottom of the elevon hinge line with a Dremel, then flipped it over, lined up the straightedge with the front of the router cut , then cut the top with a scapel blade. Result is a razor sharp hinge line. If you look closely at the third picture you'll see the hinge line is cut.
Jul 16, 2015, 08:36 PM
That thing almost hit me
Thread OP
Carefully ran a wide tip soldering iron down the foam to shrink it back a little, then used some epoxy with micro balloons to fill and join the top and bottom laminate. This will also stiffen the trailing edge and hopefully prevent any delamination of the carbon tissue from the foam.
Last edited by Tahoed; Jul 16, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
Jul 16, 2015, 09:41 PM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoed
Clamped a straightedge and routed out the bottom of the elevon hinge line with a Dremel,
Which Dremel bit are you using to cut the hinge gap? How deep are you cutting? I never thought about using a Dremel for the hinge cut, but I like the idea.

Thanks for posting the small details of your build!

- Jim

Quick Reply