My Eagle 3.6 Demise - RC Groups
Jul 12, 2015, 02:08 PM
Whoops!

My Eagle 3.6 Demise

On Saturday I lost sight of my new SouringUSA Eagle 3.6 sailplane during testing before the contest. When I found the plane it was in the north field and was for all purposes destroyed. See photos. Before I go on with what I think caused the accident I want to thank all the members the volunteered to help with the repair to the wing on the eagle especially Lance who before the event spent time replacing the damaged Ultracote for me. Three issues caused the issue. First my eyesight, which was improved after my eye operation however I have problems when the sky is slightly white as it was Saturday. Next my inexperience with a more complicated setup with my power system. I have a switch which turns off the motor. Even though I reduced the throttle I think I failed to switch the motor off and that is why I think it went into the ground so hard. And lastly I was going to put reflective tape on the wing and fuselage which would make it more visible as I have done with me radians.

I've only been flying RC sense around August last year so what my plan now is financial and restrict how much I paying for Sailplanes. Maybe only used and or foamies. I haven't given up yet and will probably compete in the F5J next Saturday with my Radian.

Thanks again.

Stan Guidero
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2015, 04:59 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Stan! So sad to see the results of your crash. To me it looks like it is repairable so don't give up hope: with the repair/rebuilding skills our club members have these planes usually have quite a few lives. Hopefully a few of our better builders can give you some advice on how to proceed.

Chris
Jul 12, 2015, 09:05 PM

Mt Eagle

I;m open to anyone who wants to try.

Stan
Jul 12, 2015, 09:13 PM

More about the Eagle 3.6

What is not shown is the fracturing in the fuselage and the wing tips are not in the photos. Also there is a crack where the Carbon tube meets with the gondola. I've already removed the motor, batteries (2) and the servos in the fuselage.

Stan
Jul 13, 2015, 11:10 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Stan I'm sooooooooooo sorry!!!!! If your interested I'll sell you my 3.7m SHARON REAL cheap.

Ps edit : have you talked to Marty??

Jerry in Chico
Jul 13, 2015, 11:29 AM

SharonPro ??

Details please. Sailplane type (ALES or ?), electronics (Servos etc...), age, any damage, and also price your asking?

Stan
Jul 13, 2015, 11:59 AM

Crash

Sorry for your loss. Being a new flier and jumping from a Radian to a large full house ship is a BIG jump. If you feel you are ready for a progression to a larger ship (and you probably are) go with a AVA - RES. It's got the same moving controls as the Radian and your skills/confidence will advance much with it. It's large so you can see it, it fly's like a champ and it's very competitive. Don't give up we've all been through the major crashes - especially at the beginning.
Jul 13, 2015, 03:45 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
PM sent to you