Help!

Quad will not take off

I have 580 frame
Multistar 4108- 600 motors
afro 30 amp esc
x8r and traranis plus
and a pixhawk
13 x 5.5 props

I have done all the set up installed the upgrade to the pix hawk. set the compass gps and accelerometer.

Now when I throttle up the motors spin faster but the copter does not leave the ground. I have checked the rotation of the motors and the props and that all seems ok.

It seems that the motors are not spinning fast enough to me, Everything else I have flown is smaller and premade so this is my first home build so I am not really sure.

thanks in advance for your help
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2015, 01:11 AM
I think you have put the wrong props on
Try this
Put the props on and arm the quad
Throttle up till the props just spin up
Be very careful and keep you hand under the quad
If you feel the air hitting your hand then it's fine if not reverse the prop of the motor
Try calibrating escs again if nothing is happening
Jul 12, 2015, 10:52 AM
GymCoach
Thread OP
ok I can see the blades of grass go down when the props spin and I feel some air. When I give a little throttle it speeds up - but when I go to full throttle it seems that it is not speeding up any more. It doesn't get louder. then all of a sudden it gets a little louder at it seems to get a little light. but it stays the same noise all the way down the throttle until I hit the bottom of the throttle. The other ones (RTF) that I have flown get louder as you increase the throttle. Could the pixhawk or xr8 be broke?
Jul 12, 2015, 02:43 PM
hey coach your props may be on upside down (if so they will still blow down but be very inefficient) . the prop size numbers - 13 x 5.5 should face up .
Jul 12, 2015, 03:58 PM
GymCoach
Thread OP
no they are correct I have the higher side going into the rotation and shiny side up. It goes from very low throttle to fast throttle in a very little throttle movement and does not seem to go faster.
Jul 12, 2015, 11:07 PM
that will be an esc calibration issue . i'm not familiar with the pixhawk .

edit for clarity - even with the higher side leading they may still be upside down . the only sure way if you're not familiar is numbers up . the other way to tell is - concave side down - convex side up . don't know about shiny props but i've only been using model props for 45 years . are the numbers facing up ?
Last edited by swervo; Jul 13, 2015 at 07:02 AM.
Jul 13, 2015, 02:27 AM
This is a good walkthrough of Pixhawk setup and calibration
Configuration Calibration & Testing (35 min 48 sec)
Jul 13, 2015, 04:58 AM
if you cant feel the props spinning faster its surely a battery problem
which battery are you using? check the voltage of each cell before and after discharging it
maybe the capacity(C) rating is too low on the battery
Jul 13, 2015, 11:00 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Connect to Mission Planner. Go to Configuration > Full Parameter Tree > Find > THR_MAX Set it to 1000 (I have a hunch its at 80 which equals 8%). Write Params.
Jul 13, 2015, 03:31 PM
GymCoach
Thread OP
The battery is new I have two and I have tried both after fully charging them. I will check on the mission planner tomorrow - thanks for all the help!
Jul 13, 2015, 11:20 PM
GymCoach
Thread OP
THR_MAX was set to 800 I set it to 1000 and did write params. I will try the fly tomorrow.
Jul 17, 2015, 02:32 PM
GymCoach
Thread OP
ok set the THR_Max to 1000 no change. What is weird is when I move the throttle up a little the motors speed up pretty fast but don't seem to speed up more as I raise the throttle more. I can see the throttle movement in mission planner. maybe the pixhawk is bad?
Jul 17, 2015, 02:46 PM
GymCoach
Thread OP
I am going to try to reload adruCopter on the pixhawk. See if that helps
Jul 18, 2015, 03:45 PM
GymCoach
Thread OP
ok no change. if I go to bank left or right that side seems to start to lift and if I turn it gets up on one of the landing gear and does a 360. I have two batteries that are about 2 months old should I buy and try another battery? If it was a motor wouldn't that side drop a little but the other 3 sides try to take off? it seems like everything works except for throttle. Could that be the x8r and traranis or the pixhawk or what?
Jul 18, 2015, 06:56 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach
ok no change. if I go to bank left or right that side seems to start to lift and if I turn it gets up on one of the landing gear and does a 360. I have two batteries that are about 2 months old should I buy and try another battery? If it was a motor wouldn't that side drop a little but the other 3 sides try to take off? it seems like everything works except for throttle. Could that be the x8r and traranis or the pixhawk or what?
Either you have the aileron channel reversed in the radio, or you have the ESCs connected to the wrong pins....

Quick Reply