Jun 27, 2004, 06:50 AM
Thread OP
Question

How about this motor for your EDF

Hello all you EDF fans,

Due to a large number of requests for information we are trying to get an idea how suitable our motors would be for EDF applications. I will immediately admit very little knowledge in this arena but add that my interest and need to learn is great so please bare with me.

The motors are the same diameter as speed 400s with the AXI mount pattern. They are outrunners. We have motors with Kvs of 1300, 2250 and 3500.

My questions for the knowledgeable folks are:

1. What ducted fan units will support this diameter motor? (Speed 400is ~25.7mm)

2. How much power will these ducted fans require? Our smaller motors (sub 30 grams) are rated to 7 amps but have been run harder direct drive without showing signs of distress. Out larger motors are rated to 15 amps and 3-S lipo.

3. Which aircraft would be most suited for 70 to 150 watt motors?

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

Hugh
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2004, 07:52 AM
Registered Rotor Abuser
What is the fan dia??
From a quick look the KV are low for good performance on 2s and 3s.

joe
Jun 27, 2004, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Joe,

I'm not sure about the diameter of the pictured fan. The picture comes from the manufacture's web site. I hope to have more information from him tomorrow. Do the fans come in various different pitches for a given diameter duct? If this were so it could compensate for different KVs. Their 3500Kv moror only weighs 43.5 grams.

Thanks for the feedback,

Hugh
Jun 27, 2004, 08:18 AM
Claus at Area 52
please tell the webside ... something looks not right on that fan unit..
Claus
Jun 27, 2004, 08:27 AM
Registered Rotor Abuser
yea, it looks like a miniFan/gws 75 meld...

S-Guy no, one fan size has one rotor, if the rotor were diff then the stators would need to be diff also.
Last edited by wireit; Jun 27, 2004 at 08:31 AM. Reason: addin
Jun 27, 2004, 09:05 AM
Another MINIFAN clone?

Klaus
Jun 27, 2004, 09:36 AM
Dieselized User
This one is actually a clone of the Wattage fan. I've seen them first hand. They do come with a marginal cone for the rotor and a pretty reasonably thought out nacelle type inlet. They are not available in the US that I know of. Not yet anyway.

I'll try to get some pics next week.

Greg
Jun 27, 2004, 10:46 AM
Registered Rotor Abuser
Yup Greg, thats what it looks like, angled stators like the wattage not straight like the mini... but the mounting..
Jun 27, 2004, 11:44 AM
Dieselized User
I've had one of these in my hands. Rotor looks just like the Wattage. The housing is a bit different. Look at the intake ring sitting in the right of the picture, that's included. Funny thing is that the mounting lugs stick out past the outer edge of the intake ring.

Greg
Jun 27, 2004, 01:52 PM
A-4 nut!!
It seems to me that this fan is in the 65-75 mm range.

70 - 150 watts is a little on the short side, isn't it? Most of the planes I see that run on this size fan are putting out 250-350 watts

Quick Reply