Old Jan 17, 2002, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by Balin

Smith Super Special - reduce plans or build kit light?

I sure like the Smith Super Special. But I really don't want to build it and end up overweight for an Endo setup. Nor do I want to buy a super motor. It's listed at Air Flair (kit manufacturer) as weighing 2.5 to 3.5 pounds (w/ gas engine, etc).

How can they come up with such a wide range? What could possibly vary by a whole pound? Can I bring it in at the low end? If I thought I could build it at the light end I'd be all set. If it comes out at the high end, it might not be such a fun to fly funfly.

I'm aware of subtracting gas stuff, adding electric - weight goes up.

Or I could buy the plans and scale them down say 20% and be sure it would be lighter. Does scaling down affect the design and flight characteristics?

I'd rather build the kit and make it light. Reducing the plans would be a real stretch for me, but doable.

Thanks
Balin
Last edited by Balin; Jan 17, 2002 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2002, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Hi Balin; Build the kit, It will come out light. (without making any changes)
As for the wide range in the weight specs for the glow version;
Light= .30 engine; smaller servos; micro servo on throttle and no rudder; 2 oz fuel tank.
Heavy= .40 or .45 engine; standard servos with rudder and larger tank.
Adam