This thread is privately moderated by kenh3497, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 07, 2015, 09:16 PM
Play that funky music right
Thread OP
Discussion

Chain saws?????

When I started to work for my former employer there was a Stihl chainsaw in a case setting in the corner. Didn't think much of it until six months later it was still setting there. I asked the boss about it. He knew nothing and asked about a work order on it. I hadn't found anything and a search of the serial number on Stihls website turned up nothing. Fast forward to a six weeks before we closed. Still nothing on the saw. I asked the boss what we should do with it. He said to throw it in the dumpster if nobody claimed it. Well in anticipation of the dumpster I checked it out. GOOD spark, decent compression and gas to the carb, but it wouldn't run. A shot of brake cleaner in the cylinder had a few pops so I knew I had a motor.... I thought.... I pulled the carb and when cranked over I could hear air blowing back out of the crankcase. Closer examination found a severely scored cylinder. OK we have the smoking gun. So I threw the saw in the dumpster. Two seconds later I went dumpster diving for a Stihl 290 chainsaw and case. If nothing else I wanted the case. I finished tearing down the saw and both the piston and cylinder were toast. A new replacement cylinder from Stihl was just north of $250 That is why the saw was abandoned. It wasn't worth the money to repair. I also snagged a couple of chains that must have been for that saw. Fast forward another six months and I was at the other Stihl dealer and was telling them about my score. The counter guys says "I have a deal for you! A customer brought in a 390 with a bad crankshaft. It has a good cylinder and piston." How much you want I says. He says "$100 for all the parts" I says, "too much for me right now". Fast forward another six months I'm back at the dealer and ask if he still has that 390 saw. "Yup". How much for the cylinder and piston? "$25 to much." I says Nope and walk out the door with the cylinder, piston and the shroud for the 390 which has the cutout and boot for the compression relief.

I assembled all the parts and it ran like a million bucks! I did have to spend another $10 on it for a new fuel line as the old one had dried out and leaked where it passed through the fuel tank. So I have an outrages $35 invested. The thing is a monster at least by my meager standards. I do wish it had a slight longer bar. It's only a 20 inch bar. 25 inches would be about right for that saw.

Thirty days later my 40+ year old Stihl 015L starts running poorly with a loss of power. Pulled the muffler and see the wrist pin has about .025+ clearance in the piston That saw is long out of production as are parts. I "just" replaced the bar and bought two new chains. Only been sharpened a couple of times. Some research shows a new Stihl 170 uses the same bar. Off to the Stihl dealer and tell them my tale of woe and to look at a new 170 less the bar and chain, I hope. Same counter person says I have a 015 AV core that's good. I says what do you want. He says "nothing, I'll never use it". A couple of days later I picked up the core and tonight finished swapping parts into my 015L. Runs like a champ. I NEED TO get him something for his generosity. I'm thinking a gift card to a restaurant for him and his wife to have an evening out.

Goes to prove there are still a few good souls in this world.

Ken
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2015, 11:18 PM
..I'm still waiting for the part where you take the engine and mount it on a plane.
Jul 10, 2015, 06:59 AM
Play that funky music right
Thread OP
I haven't figured out how to mount propeller blades on the chain

Quick Reply