Jul 07, 2015, 01:20 PM
Discussion

Inexpensive HD FPV w/ low lag (WIFI Broadcast)

Has this been posted here yet? What are folks thoughts? Lag is said to be in the 120 ms. Range is said to be over 3km in direct LOS areas.

Built using a Raspberry Pi unit and off the shelf wifi transmitters and receivers. Pretty much just testing out theory now, but they are improving the antenna, looks like going to two transmitters in the air and multiple receivers on the ground.

https://befinitiv.wordpress.com/

Videos from folks trying it:

Latest code and hardware being tested, flying behind objects:
Treetops HD FPV fun (4 min 51 sec)

Just flying around:
Getting used to FPV using wifibroadcast (7 min 11 sec)

Shows how signal loss is handled. Similar to standard def transmissions.
Raspberry Pi HD FPV (6 min 23 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2015, 06:07 PM
Is there really no interest in this?!?

The commercial ones are $1500, this is under $200.
Jul 07, 2015, 11:54 PM
Flying this system on my zmr250
Here is a ground recording
HD FPV Test (6 min 45 sec)
Jul 08, 2015, 07:37 AM
I just saw this yesterday and I'm starting to assemble some rpis to give it a shot. This sounds like the open source version of this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2245437

How does it work for you?
Jul 08, 2015, 10:18 AM
I was hoping more info would be available on here, maybe with some tutorials on how to make it and what to use. I'm a non-techy guy who just has a practice el cheapo quad now, and was waiting for an inexpensive HD solution to come out as the analog stuff was too low end for me to enjoy it I felt.

There is really little discussion on this outside of DIYDRONES.com. Normally FPVLAB.com has a decent tech audience but so far very little mention of it. Not sure why, this seems to be the real deal.

Combined with the new Headplay HD goggles and you have for what looks like to be an awesome experience.
Jul 08, 2015, 10:58 AM
I am also very interested in this tech and perhaps, with the much faster raspberry 2 the latency could go down a little. What we really need is 5GHz 802.11N or AC adapter which will work with this, that should provide much better range than the regular old G as N supports MIMO (improved diversity). There is also odroid C1 board which is maybe even smaller than raspberry but it may be a problem to connect the camera. Will post any news once I find some. Perhpas some other coded than h264, such as MJPEG could provide better latency.
Jul 11, 2015, 04:22 AM
Having alot of fun with this:
The future's bright.. The future's HD! :) (4 min 8 sec)
Jul 11, 2015, 06:54 AM
On a holiday?
For 200USD I think I must give this a go!
Last edited by boopidoo; Jul 11, 2015 at 07:57 AM.
Jul 12, 2015, 10:33 PM
They've got 3D FPV working now:

Raspberry Pi HD FPV 3D (WQHD, 2x720p stream SBS) (0 min 32 sec)
Jul 12, 2015, 10:47 PM
Anyone know how this method compares to this one?

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...age=1#comments
Jul 14, 2015, 03:36 AM
"cheap, small, lightweight"
Wifibroadcast is much better, because it avoids the problems of "normal" wifi.
Jul 14, 2015, 10:19 AM
Very interested in this! Has it reached a point where someone has a parts list and some instructions on how to put it all together?

I've found various bits and pieces of info on parts used, but haven't found a concise "how-to" yet. In the meantime I watch footage from my Mobius cam and dream of seeing something similar real time in my goggles in the near future!
Jul 14, 2015, 12:41 PM
My understanding is this:
  • Two Raspberry Pis (2 is preferred now that it's out) $80
  • One Raspberry Pi Camera module ($20)
  • Two Wifi cards - must have the ATHEROS AR9172 chip
  • Two examples:
  • TP-LINK TL-WN722N (lower powered) 2.4 ghz $13
  • Alfa AWUS036NHA (higher powered) 2.4 ghz $35
Some have experimented with 5ghz tx and rx but nothing official yet

Display device, wondering if the Headplays would work here? You can also plug into a TV using HDMI.
Jul 14, 2015, 01:20 PM
I plan on using my headplays.

I was going to pick up a model a for the quad. they say it works fine and is smaller, lighter and cheaper.
Jul 15, 2015, 09:25 AM
"cheap, small, lightweight"
I could find these sticks with Atheros AR9271 chipset:
TP-Link TL-WN722N, ca. 100mW, RP-SMA
ThinkPenguin TPE-N150USBL, ca. 100mW, RP-SMA
ThinkPenguin TPE-N150USB, ca. 40mW, no external antenna
Ubiquiti Networks WiFiStation, ca. 800mW, integrated H/V polarized 6dbi antenna
Ubiquiti Networks WiFiStation EXT, ca. 800mW, RP-SMA

The CSL 300Mbit 2.4/5Ghz stick with two antennas that people seem to have success with has
a Ralink RT5572 chipset. You can search for other sticks with the same chipset here:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Special:Ru..._adapter_query

For the transmitting Pi, you can also use an "Odroid-W", it's compatible with the Pi but smaller and lighter:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=g140610189490

Here is some info on mounting better lenses to the PiCam:
http://www.truetex.com/raspberrypi

You can also search for "raspberry cam" and the like on Aliexpress, there you'll find lenses, different flatband cables and other accessories.