Jul 07, 2015, 08:29 AM
michigan jet guy
Thread OP
Question

Hammer .40 plans

with the closing of carstens plan service, Does anyone know how to get a copy of the Hammer .40 plans? was thinking of building one this coming building season but alas plans are hard to come by. Phil
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2015, 10:15 AM
michigan jet guy
Thread OP
well thanks everyone for your help. I am glad this is such a helping community around here. I won't be back to this area again. Good day Phil
Jul 08, 2015, 11:21 AM
JOE MOCERI
Phil, don't get upset. You only posted this 24 hours ago. I Google Hammer 40 . Didn't find any plans here but at least there is a kit available from http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/hammer40.htm

Or get the issue of the magazine and scale up the drawing to the size you want to build.

Joe
Jul 08, 2015, 11:54 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Charming

Ray
Jul 08, 2015, 12:22 PM
Scroll down the screen to related pages and find this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2448922

Hammer 40 kit for sale for $140 plus shipping..... price likely reflects that the kit is no longer in productions and the plans are still "proprietary" to Flying Models/Carstens and even though Flying Models is currently being resurrected - see some threads in the 'balsa builders' category, getting their plans operations back in service is likely not a first priority .... and short kit cutters typically won't supply plans for the models that are still proprietary......but probably your best bet for a while.

Unless you can figure out how to convert RFJ's generous posting of the magazine page into a computer file that can be used by Adobe Reader software; then it's fairly easy to scale up the plan to whatever size you want and either print out on any home computer printer - a bit of a tedious process of taping together 20 odd "tile" or 9"x11" portions of the full plan - or taking the plan in memory stick to an outfit that will print out the plan full size in one continuous sheet.

Michael
Last edited by 2michaely; Jul 08, 2015 at 12:35 PM.
Jul 08, 2015, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDESIGNS
Phil, don't get upset. You only posted this 24 hours ago. I Google Hammer 40 . Didn't find any plans here but at least there is a kit available from http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/hammer40.htm

Or get the issue of the magazine and scale up the drawing to the size you want to build.

Joe
The Eureka kit doesn't look to come with plans, so that doesn't help OP out any. I was going to post the same link until I realized plans aren't included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2michaely
Unless you can figure out how to convert RFJ's generous posting of the magazine page into a computer file that can be used by Adobe Reader software; then it's fairly easy to scale up the plan to whatever size you want
There is a bunch of info on this in the free RCM plans thread.

Mark
Last edited by mmattock; Jul 08, 2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
Jul 08, 2015, 03:28 PM
DavidsPlanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshea
well thanks everyone for your help. I am glad this is such a helping community around here. I won't be back to this area again. Good day Phil
Phil,

steady hand there bud...

I saw your post but just didn't get a chance to reply yet. Sounds like many others already have but I may be able to add some to it. I actually have the model in CAD although I don't quite recall the state of completeness. In any case, there are some ways to improve the build of this great Sarpolus design.

Cheers, David
Jul 08, 2015, 06:22 PM
michigan jet guy
Thread OP
Well please do elaborate David. I was planning on building it to take the place of my sidepocket whose life has been good to me but it is time to retire that airframe as it is a little beat up, and i apologize for my tone but when a thread get's 80 views and not one person has anything to contribute, it gets irritating. I apologize to all. Phil
Jul 08, 2015, 06:53 PM
Cheers Ray, I go out for a pint and this happens.

Regards Ian.
Jul 08, 2015, 08:14 PM
JOE MOCERI
Way to go RFJ and Circlip, I think you just made mrshey a happy person. You are a great bunch of guys.
Jul 08, 2015, 11:56 PM
DavidsPlanes
Quote:
Well please do elaborate David. I was planning on building it to take the place of my sidepocket whose life has been good to me but it is time to retire that airframe as it is a little beat up, and i apologize for my tone but when a thread get's 80 views and not one person has anything to contribute, it gets irritating. I apologize to all. Phil
Phil,

A bit busy lately but will get back on Friday I hope.

David

PS Ray, Ian - as always, thanks for your efforts and contributions.
Jul 10, 2015, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Your gratitude underlines your attitude to those TRYING to assist.

Makes the effort so worth it.

Regards Ian.
Jul 10, 2015, 09:36 AM
michigan jet guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Your gratitude underlines your attitude to those TRYING to assist.

Makes the effort so worth it.

Regards Ian.
Thank you Ian. I appreciate your generosity. Now i don't have to wait for carstens to be resurrected. Once again thank you. Phil
Jul 13, 2015, 01:35 PM
DavidsPlanes
Phil,

I had a chance to take a look at the Hammer 40 plans and they are actually in pretty good shape. If you are interested, I could offer to cut you a one off kit with the knowledge that I haven't built a proto yet. At this point I don't worry too much about it anymore as am quite confident with my designing and if anything, they might call for minor improvements rather than corrections.

Alternatively, I could send you a CAD plan set by mail but if you are planning to scratch build it (rather than go with a laser kit), you might just want to work from the original plans which as you see are somewhat crude but workable.

I re-designed it with a RE 40 squarely in mind (nothing preventing a SE engine to be used though) so my fuse is structured and setup for it including a removable top pipe deck (wood built). As usual, I also designed for 21st century construction (tongue in groove, lighter, easier). I kept it as a low wing non plug-in design with fixed gear.

In the process of lofting the built up wing, I also reduced the wing span just slightly down from 60" to 58" giving the model an identical planform and aspect ratio as my DC Tsunami (50"/58"). Weight should be very similar at ~5 lbs all up dry.

Please drop me a line by email (preferably) or PM if you'd like to discuss further.

Cheers, David

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Phil,

A bit busy lately but will get back on Friday I hope.

David

PS Ray, Ian - as always, thanks for your efforts and contributions.
Jul 13, 2015, 09:18 PM
Since the Hammer plans show both a low wing and mid wing configuration, does anybody have any experience to offer on which version flies the best?

Mark

Quick Reply