Jun 26, 2004, 04:01 AM
Electric Orange
Thread OP

New Depron J3 Cub - Templates available

A freind of mine wanted to get into RC. Since I had some spare gear out of planes that were no longer. I set about designing a "Park Trainer" to help start him off with the only expense being some RC gear.

The result was my version of the J3 Cub built from Depron (de-papered foam board to be exact). Its now on its second prototype and Brian flew solo on his second flight of my first prototype. Since then two more planes have been built. One to replace #1 and Brian has contructed and flow his own.

Gear is from a dead E-starter: EPS-300-C with a 9070 prop. With this combo it has a good flight envelope from slooow to a bit faster, with enough power to get her out of trouble on those Oh No incidents. Have not yet tried a 1080 prop yet but this should also be a good combo for this little floater.

V2 now has a cowl. And is nearly ready for painting once a new wing has been built for her.

29/6/04 I've added some templates - not all yet. Start at Post #93

04/7/04 All templates available and Aileron wing
Last edited by scotta; Jul 11, 2004 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Added templates to thread. Changed photo
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2004, 05:43 AM
Electric Orange
Thread OP
This is the second prototype with the freshly mounted cowl. Wing is from the original and is a bit ratty. New one is planned and so is a paint job.

All Cubs seem to get the typical yellow paint scheme. Any thoughts for this one?

Original plane flew on 8xAAA pack. Performance was fine with this battery - except when ejected when doing a loop.... She was a reall floater then. Second plane now flies on 8x KAN650's. Flies on 1/3 throttle and give long flight times. Also has plenty of power to do some simple aerobatics.

I'm happiest about the undercarriage. My GWS planes have never had a successful undercarriage - always torn out. I'm enjoying practicing take offs and landings now.
Jun 26, 2004, 08:02 AM
HELL no you cant fly it!
Seems like you have done a nice job.

Plans??? lol

Keep up the good work,
Matt
Jun 26, 2004, 09:12 AM
Electric Orange
Thread OP
Matt,

Thanks for the feed back. Do you think people would be interested in plans. So far its only a set of templates dumped out of my CAD package.

I tried to design it so that it sould be an easy build. The Cub is built around a strong box structure which forms the battery bay, undercarriage support, engine mount and RC bay. The rest is simple depron sheet CA'd over this box structure.

Scott
Jun 26, 2004, 09:36 AM
i'm joing to build a 30" span j3

got plans for that ?
Jun 26, 2004, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta
Matt,

Thanks for the feed back. Do you think people would be interested in plans. So far its only a set of templates dumped out of my CAD package.

I tried to design it so that it sould be an easy build. The Cub is built around a strong box structure which forms the battery bay, undercarriage support, engine mount and RC bay. The rest is simple depron sheet CA'd over this box structure.

Scott
Hey Scott, could we tempt you to post the templates (maybe in a .pdf file)? I think that would be enough, especially if you post a few more pictures of your build. Just a little encouragement. Thanks,

Barry
Jun 26, 2004, 09:42 AM
Electric Orange
Thread OP
Mortonj69,

The cub is 38" span. All up weight with KANS is a little of 400g so she's a floater.
Jun 26, 2004, 09:47 AM
Electric Orange
Thread OP
Barry,

It would be nice to see some more Cubs in the air. It would make all the work designing it worth while, rather than just the two so far.

The templates are dxf files at the moment. I might be able to convert them to pdf somehow. How do you post files to the group for download?

I've attached a pic of the formers cut out ready to go. Get the Odourless ZAP ready... she builds in a couple of hours.

Scott
Jun 26, 2004, 09:51 AM
Electric Orange
Thread OP
Oops, forgot the attachement. So here is the undercarriage as well. Long undercarriage goes right up to the motor stick to make it nice and strong. It won't ever tear out...

Scott
Jun 26, 2004, 09:56 AM
Crash Master
You can zip a .dxf and attatch it. I'll take that and do some .pdf files, if you'd like...
Jun 26, 2004, 10:01 AM
Electric Orange
Thread OP
Gene Bond,

I'll have to tidy up the CAD drawing. I don't think to many people would understand it at the moment. Thanks for the offer for the pdf file. Can you tile the plans?

Anyone with a dead E-Starter (or other GWS plane) would have the parts to built this slow flier.

I'll add my construction photos from prototype #2. Any thoughs about a suitable colour scheme?

Scott
Jun 26, 2004, 01:28 PM
Scott,

Great plane, I was just looking for something to try a CDROM motor in. I think this will fit the bill. I'd be very interested to get a copy of the dxf file as I work with CAD.

Best Regards,

Paul C.
Jun 26, 2004, 02:27 PM
Crash Master
Yea, Scott, I normally work with them in TurboCad, then export to .dxf, as well as print full sheet and tiled .pdf's... No sense leaving anyone out...
Jun 26, 2004, 02:37 PM
HELL no you cant fly it!
Plans would be great. I would love to build one. And yes pfd would be a nice touch as I don't have a cad program.

Matt
Jun 26, 2004, 08:52 PM
Electric Orange
Thread OP
Everyone,

Thanks for the interest is this great little plane. I'll work on getting the plans together ready for everyone. I'll keep posting construction pics.

Anyone got a good design for a bottom battery hatch? This is the only weakness in the design at the moment. Prototype #1 used a magnet - I ejected the battery twice using this method. Prototype #2 uses velcro but its still not an elegent solution.

Scott

Quick Reply