This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 04, 2015, 12:14 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

A cheap adroid tablet for APM/Pixhawk and Droidplanner 3 - Tower

*********** This article is now a year old. As with any technology this item is now obsolete and too slow for the latest versions of Tower etc. There are other low priced tablets on Ebay that are faster and a better choice now. ***********
***** Oct 2017, I feel compelled to add a note that the last two tablets I have puchased off Ebay have come "rooted". What this means is that they were installed with a permanent back door that would allow someone to remotely control and remotely steal accounts and passwords from the tablet. So I will not be buying anymore smartphones or tablets from Ebay.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **********

I'll say it right up front. I hate tablets. I don't like gestures and I miss my good old keyboard. The first tablet I bought had a resistive touch screen which was horrible. I found the early versions of Android to be buggy and unreliable.

So why did I get another tablet? I must have been tired late at night.

Or I heard the siren song of the foolish. $29 for a 7" Android tablet.

I bought a Maylong M-295 from Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAYLONG-M295...item2ee33f6ce2

I just knew I was going to be sorry.

But to my surprise this little tablet actually works. It is not the fastest thing in the electronics world but it is satisfactory. I needed to pause just a moment rather than zooming around. I found that it acts very strange when I ran the battery down too low, 10%. It comes setup for the Amazon App store so I had to figure out how to get Google Play Store. It just needs to be turned on in the Setup/Settings tool. It does not have a built in GPS.

Then I loaded Droidplanner 3 aka Tower and plugged in my old 3DR v1 telemetry radio and setup an APM board with the Air radio and it works!
Note here that no all tablets can supply power to the Telemetry radios so it is something to check before you buy. The feature is called "OTG" usb.

I have not actually flown with it yet but it talks to the APM just fine and I can change parameters. The HUD display reacts to movement of the APM.

I loaded Firefox from the Google Apps and a Navigation App called Maverick that will cache maps offline. I loaded VLC media player and it plays mp3 and avi movies just fine.

So I am impressed. If you have wanted to play with a tablet and Arducopter but been unwilling to spend the big bucks for a name brand tablet this unit might be worth a try. Who knows maybe I got the only good one in the universe and maybe it won't last a month before it breaks but so far so good.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Oct 03, 2017 at 06:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply