Apr 17, 2017, 02:57 PM
Following on from my issue with training mode, it appears to be the Expo function on the master that is causing the problem. That's a bit of a tricky one, and not what I would really expect. After all if I set expo on the trainer and add rates, the expo does not affect the end travel.

You learn something every day.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2017, 04:16 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Haven't had time to look at the file but probably not necessary, if you combine a rate on the slave with an expo on the master you will have a result you may not expect, due to the order of operations. If you set the slave's rate to 80% then you will only feed 80% to the expo curve.

I.e at the end of the Inputs chain you'll have expo(80%) instead of 80%*expo(100%), hopefully it makes sense. It would be like you never moving the stick past 80% travel, not you moving the stick full travel but with a 80% weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebriars View Post
The reason for this is that if there are no reduced rates on the master, and if control is needed quickly, then I would like to have full rates immediately. Personal choice.
Set a logical switch on the master to enable full rates automatically when you release the trainer switch. The student shouldn't have to deal with rates, it's your thing to give him what you think is best for him.
Last edited by Kilrah; Apr 17, 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Apr 17, 2017, 08:20 PM
Pro Bro 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
New to Taranis. Quick ?. Have Futaba receivers fasst , What ext module do I need to be able to use those rx with the taranis and where is best $ and availability.

Thx
I'm another who switched from a Futaba 12FG FASST to the Taranis. Even though others on here (wisely) told me not to waste my money on getting a FASST module for the Taranis, I did it anyway. While it boosted my confidence in the Taranis transmitter itself by using my old FASST receivers, it didn't take long to figure out I should have invested that $150 into learning to fully trust the entire FrSky ACCST radio system instead. So I sold the FASST module to another new Taranis user who was going through the same process that I went through, and that you are going though now.

In hindsight, I should have skipped buying the FASST module and invested that money into multiple FrSky ACCST receivers. Learning to trust the entire ACCST radio system is what finally allowed me to bench my 12FG and all of my FASST receivers. The FASST module for the Taranis turned out to be an unnecessary step.
Apr 17, 2017, 09:07 PM
Don't give in to gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McDonald View Post
I'm another who switched from a Futaba 12FG FASST to the Taranis. Even though others on here (wisely) told me not to waste my money on getting a FASST module for the Taranis, I did it anyway. While it boosted my confidence in the Taranis transmitter itself by using my old FASST receivers, it didn't take long to figure out I should have invested that $150 into learning to fully trust the entire FrSky ACCST radio system instead. So I sold the FASST module to another new Taranis user who was going through the same process that I went through, and that you are going though now.

In hindsight, I should have skipped buying the FASST module and invested that money into multiple FrSky ACCST receivers. Learning to trust the entire ACCST radio system is what finally allowed me to bench my 12FG and all of my FASST receivers. The FASST module for the Taranis turned out to be an unnecessary step.
You may have just pushed me off the fence. I think your the third or fourth to suggest foregoing the module step and just jumping into the taranis world.

I appreciate your candor.
Apr 17, 2017, 11:31 PM
Pro Bro 415
FYI: It took me about 6 months of progressively flying more and more valuable planes with the Taranis and the FrSky ACCST receivers before I finally completely converted over to FrSky and stopped using the 12FG and the FASST receivers entirely. I still have the 12FG and the FASST receivers just in case the Taranis and FrSky ACCST system ever screws up, but after 2 1/2 years of flawless performance with the Taranis and FrSky receivers, it's looking like I'm never going to need to convert back to FASST.
Apr 18, 2017, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
You may have just pushed me off the fence. I think your the third or fourth to suggest foregoing the module step and just jumping into the taranis world.

I appreciate your candor.
When I decided to make the switch from Spektrum to Taranis, after selling all of my Spektrum gear and purchasing everything needed to replace it including a lot more telemetry sensors, I had almost $2000 left over in my paypal account. I've never looked back and wouldn't trade using OpenTx for anything else.
Apr 18, 2017, 03:48 AM
I too made a profit from selling all my Spektrum gear. Ebay buyers were paying more for my second hand telemetry modules than a well known local supplier could provide new.
Apr 18, 2017, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Haven't had time to look at the file but probably not necessary, if you combine a rate on the slave with an expo on the master you will have a result you may not expect, due to the order of operations. If you set the slave's rate to 80% then you will only feed 80% to the expo curve.

I.e at the end of the Inputs chain you'll have expo(80%) instead of 80%*expo(100%), hopefully it makes sense. It would be like you never moving the stick past 80% travel, not you moving the stick full travel but with a 80% weight.

Set a logical switch on the master to enable full rates automatically when you release the trainer switch. The student shouldn't have to deal with rates, it's your thing to give him what you think is best for him.
Thanks Kilrah, this is what I suspected. Hadn't thought about using a logical switch. A much better solution. Thank goodness there's more logical switches now. Wonder how many other systems allow this?
Apr 18, 2017, 02:41 PM
I have a buddy that has a question I don't know the answer to.

He has Taranis Plus on 2.1.19. He doesn't want to go to 2.2 until it is officially released. He has an X8R connected by SBus to a Naza V2 flight controller and has the Rx set to ch 9-16 with telemetry. He is only using 3 pwm channels on the X8R and has them plugged in to ch 6-8 leaving 1-4 available for binding. It requires 2 jumpers installed to bind and the Rx is buried in between the frames making it difficult to get to. The bind button is accessible through a hole in the top of the frames.
He wants to know if it is ok to leave the jumpers installed?
Apr 18, 2017, 03:15 PM
Happy FPV flyer
This shorts signal pins together. Probably not going to do damage but not recommendable.
Apr 18, 2017, 03:18 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrazier View Post
I have a buddy that has a question I don't know the answer to.

He has Taranis Plus on 2.1.19. He doesn't want to go to 2.2 until it is officially released. He has an X8R connected by SBus to a Naza V2 flight controller and has the Rx set to ch 9-16 with telemetry. He is only using 3 pwm channels on the X8R and has them plugged in to ch 6-8 leaving 1-4 available for binding. It requires 2 jumpers installed to bind and the Rx is buried in between the frames making it difficult to get to. The bind button is accessible through a hole in the top of the frames.
He wants to know if it is ok to leave the jumpers installed?
No.
Apr 18, 2017, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
This shorts signal pins together. Probably not going to do damage but not recommendable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer View Post
No.
Thanks. I'll pass it along.
Apr 18, 2017, 05:22 PM

Spoiler setup

I have a Taranis+ with 2.19 FW and using XR8 receiver. Attempting to setup ailerons with both sides deflected up to reduce lift at landing. Using Open TX set mixer for Ailerons to have a offset tied to flight mode SW with FM providing a offset value by GV . Seem to work as expected on Open Tx simulator screen. However when loaded and operated in model plane, FM selected drives ailerons full deflection (left roll). Looking at 9XD servo output screen, it agrees with the plane's action, full servo drive. So why would Open TX and actual radio be this different? Maybe someone has a better setup to get both aileron to deflect up 10 degrees for landing,
Apr 18, 2017, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD61 View Post
I have a Taranis+ with 2.19 FW and using XR8 receiver. Attempting to setup ailerons with both sides deflected up to reduce lift at landing. Using Open TX set mixer for Ailerons to have a offset tied to flight mode SW with FM providing a offset value by GV . Seem to work as expected on Open Tx simulator screen. However when loaded and operated in model plane, FM selected drives ailerons full deflection (left roll). Looking at 9XD servo output screen, it agrees with the plane's action, full servo drive. So why would Open TX and actual radio be this different? Maybe someone has a better setup to get both aileron to deflect up 10 degrees for landing,
You need one side set to + value and the other set to - value.
Tom
Apr 19, 2017, 01:03 AM
I've asked this before but I think it got lost as no one answered. Is there anything in the 2.1.9 FW that needs to be done to make the dsc socket work? Since updating from 2.0 I have not been able to use the trainer or head tracking functions and don't get the symbol appear on the screen when plugging in a Jack plug. System worked perfectly before.

Quick Reply