FrSky Taranis, Taranis Plus, Taranis E - OpenTX 2.1.X - Page 403 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Mar 16, 2017, 10:19 AM
Registered User
ridgerunr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Cole
Thanks Kilrah

I just did a calculation of Distance/Time, and it works out to 26 MPH.

BC
Ummm... close, but no.

10.24 m/s ~== 22.9 mph ~== 19.9 knot ~== 2016 fpm ~== 36.9 kph

As a yank soaring pilot, I think in feet/min (fpm) and 2000fpm seems like a very reasonable upper limit to me. In 36 years of soaring, I've only exceeded this climb rate a handful of times (but have seen sink rates greater a bit more frequently - I ususally set my sink alarm at 1500 fpm to keep it quiet most of the time.)

Just sayin'!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2017, 10:45 AM
Registered User
Barry_Cole's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr
Ummm... close, but no.

10.24 m/s ~== 22.9 mph ~== 19.9 knot ~== 2016 fpm ~== 36.9 kph

As a yank soaring pilot, I think in feet/min (fpm) and 2000fpm seems like a very reasonable upper limit to me. In 36 years of soaring, I've only exceeded this climb rate a handful of times (but have seen sink rates greater a bit more frequently - I ususally set my sink alarm at 1500 fpm to keep it quiet most of the time.)

Just sayin'!
Sorry Ridgy you got the wrong end there. I calculated my speed by the distance traveled and the time taken, that gave me a dive speed of 26 MPH. This is not a soaring issue. I was just interested in what speed my Glider tug would achieve in a vertical power off dive. If it had been a glider I am sure the speed would have been MUCH higher.

BC
Mar 16, 2017, 01:34 PM
Registered User
ridgerunr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Cole
Sorry Ridgy you got the wrong end there. ...
Gotcha.
True speed = 26 mph > max measurable speed using vario (22.9 mph)

For your purpose, I'd hook up a pitot tube airspeed indicator.
Mar 16, 2017, 03:11 PM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr
For your purpose, I'd hook up a pitot tube airspeed indicator.
Or use openXsensor vario, tested until 50m/s, here together with an airpeed sensor (pitot tube).
Mar 16, 2017, 09:47 PM
Registered User
Thanks for that link, looks like an interesting project. The documentation there doesn't extend to the connection of the AS sensor, do you have a link to that addition please as that would be what I am most interested in?
Mar 17, 2017, 01:17 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toton
Thanks for that link, looks like an interesting project. The documentation there doesn't extend to the connection of the AS sensor, do you have a link to that addition please as that would be what I am most interested in?
The detailed documentation can be found in the textfile oXs_config_description.h in the download. Here is an overwiew of the wiring with baro-, airspeed-, gps- and voltagesensor.
Mar 17, 2017, 03:07 PM
Registered User
aeronaut999's Avatar

trims working backwards!


A funny thing happened recently with my Taranis Plus transmitter when I "maidened" my new-to-me ubercraft Raven elevon slope glider-- as I was flying the left wing seemed to be getting heavier and heavier-- finally I realized that the roll trim lever was working backwards so I put it back to center and quit messing with it.

Fortunately I didn't mess with the pitch trim lever on that flight as the CG and control throws were such that I needed to make very large stick inputs, and probably wouldn't have had much left over to counteract an unfavorable effect from the trim lever.

This is not the first elevon ship I've flown with the Taranis Plus but this has never happened before-- to get the servos to move in the correct direction I did have negative slopes on the aileron inputs and also on the aileron mixing-- I sure didn't imagine that any circumstance could arise where the trim levers would work opposite the stick inputs!

I haven't spent much time trying to solve the problem but will post an update-- or chime in if anyone has any ideas for what to check first--

I've later flown a different model with a different program on the same transmitter so it's something that is specific to that particular program.

Steve
Mar 17, 2017, 03:26 PM
Registered User
Tomkfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
A funny thing happened recently with my Taranis Plus transmitter when I "maidened" my new-to-me ubercraft Raven elevon slope glider-- as I was flying the left wing seemed to be getting heavier and heavier-- finally I realized that the roll trim lever was working backwards so I put it back to center and quit messing with it.

Fortunately I didn't mess with the pitch trim lever on that flight as the CG and control throws were such that I needed to make very large stick inputs, and probably wouldn't have had much left over to counteract an unfavorable effect from the trim lever.

This is not the first elevon ship I've flown with the Taranis Plus but this has never happened before-- to get the servos to move in the correct direction I did have negative slopes on the aileron inputs and also on the aileron mixing-- I sure didn't imagine that any circumstance could arise where the trim levers would work opposite the stick inputs!

I haven't spent much time trying to solve the problem but will post an update-- or chime in if anyone has any ideas for what to check first--

I've later flown a different model with a different program on the same transmitter so it's something that is specific to that particular program.

Steve
You have a negative value in Inputs and haven't disabled trims.
Tom
Mar 17, 2017, 04:20 PM
Registered User
aeronaut999's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly
You have a negative value in Inputs and haven't disabled trims.
Tom
Thanks. Hope I can figure out some other way to make the servos move the correct direction-- with the flexibility of the Taranis it must be possible.
Mar 17, 2017, 04:22 PM
Registered User
you reverse servos/channels with the Direction setting on the Outputs page.
Mar 17, 2017, 09:01 PM
Registered Taranis User
Miami Mike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressalltheknobs
you reverse servos/channels with the Direction setting on the Outputs page.
Like this:
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
Mar 17, 2017, 09:41 PM
Registered User
aeronaut999's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Like this:
Yes I tried that but there seems to be no setting of the servo directions that makes everything work correctly for both pitch AND roll. I'll look at it more soon...

Steve
Mar 17, 2017, 09:48 PM
Registered Taranis User
Miami Mike's Avatar
You can solve that easily by swapping the servo connections at the receiver. That's not to say that you couldn't solve it with programming, but it may be easier to just swap the plugs.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
Mar 18, 2017, 02:03 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Yes I tried that but there seems to be no setting of the servo directions that makes everything work correctly for both pitch AND roll. I'll look at it more soon...

Steve
You need a negative weight for one of the elevator mixes in a flying wing. (Assuming the servos are mounted "aileron style", both pointing in or out).

You can use a negative value there, just not on the inputs page or the trim ends up reversed.
Mar 18, 2017, 04:40 AM
Registered User
Barry_Cole's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
You need a negative weight for one of the elevator mixes in a flying wing. (Assuming the servos are mounted "aileron style", both pointing in or out).

You can use a negative value there, just not on the inputs page or the trim ends up reversed.
One thing at a time.

Have a look at this, it should help.
In the mixes the Aileron inputs are positive in both cases. Now check the servo movement, and reverse on the output page if required. (Both mine are reversed.
When the ailerons are working correctly, on the mixes page change the Weight from + to - as required, to get the elevator part working the correct way.
If you need less elevator movement, you can reduce the weight as required.

Hope that helps

BC

Edit, Sorry Noircogi, I "quoted" the wrong post....
Last edited by Barry_Cole; Mar 18, 2017 at 04:42 AM. Reason: I am a twit...


Thread Tools