FrSky Taranis, Taranis Plus, Taranis E - OpenTX 2.1.X - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jul 03, 2015, 09:09 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Discussion

FrSky Taranis, Taranis Plus, Taranis E - OpenTX 2.1.X


FrSky Taranis, Taranis Plus, Taranis E - OpenTX 2.1.X


Update June 2, 2017: As of May 31, 2017 OpenTX 2.2.0 has been released to production and is published here http://www.open-tx.org/2017/05/30/opentx-2.2.0 Before proceeding with further 2.1.X upgrades it would be a good idea to review the OpenTX 2.2.0 page and see if it would be a better OS solution. There is an OpenTX 2.2.0 RCG support thread here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...315-OpenTx-2-2

Update September 15, 2016: OpenTX 2.1.9 is complete and it is published here http://www.open-tx.org/2016/09/15/opentx-2.1.9 Release 2.1.9 adds new features and fixes for problems found in 2.1.8. The change log is here https://github.com/opentx/opentx/releases/tag/2.1.9

Overview

I started using OpenTX 2.1.0 July 2, 2015 before it was released for general use. This upgrade is a little more complicated than the updates we have been doing with 2.0.XX, so I thought I’d start a new thread dedicated to 2.1.X. I will be doing my best to update this post as new 2.1.X releases are published to keep the information current.

I understand that because 2.1.XX is new code or branch in the OpenTX development process, it will not be offered as an automatic upgrade through Companion from 2.0.XX.

Because of the complexities involved, If you have never used Companion and updated your Taranis or Taranis Plus firmware before, it is recommended that you do not do the 2.1.X upgrade. On the other hand if your system is new and you have not programmed much yet, going directly to 2.1.X would be a benefit and will save you time if you were to upgrade later after adding telemetry features.

I've noticed that some of the folks doing the 2.1.X upgrade are missing some of the upgrade steps and are having problems. It might be helpful to print this page and use it as a upgrade check list.


Here are some of the things I did to prepare for the upgrade from 2.0.17 to 2.1.X (I'm using X in the 2.1.X name to represent whatever the latest release number would be) and things that I needed to do after the upgrade. I use a Windows machine so this is all Windows related.

Prepping for the 2.1.X Upgrade from 2.0.XX

Using your existing OpenTX Companion make a backup of your Taranis System. Use the "Backup Radio to File" icon on the left side of Companion. I keep all my backups in one directory on my PC with a subdirectory named “old” for old backups. After making my final backup I moved all my backups to the “old” directory and then made a copy of the back I just made in put it in the backup directory. That gave me two copies of the same backup, one in each directory. I’ll explain why shortly.

Make a backup copy of the Taranis SD card and put the files in a directory on your PC.

If you have a lot of complex Telemetry things programed it would be good to take some screen captures because they will not convert to 2.1.X. and will need to be reprogrammed. The special functions and logic switches can also be impacted too so it is a good idea to document them. This can be done with the print function in Companion or screen saves.

Installing OpenTX Companion 2.1.X

Create a directory to store the Companion 2.1.X files and then download Companion 2.1.X from here Companion 2.1.X http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html . Then click on the file and go through the installation. The 2.1.X installation picked up my 2.0.17 Companion global settings, but make sure Companion has the correct Taranis selected, e.g. Taranis or Taranis Plus. Companion prompts to download OpenTX for the your Taranis and I saved it with 2.1 at the end of the name to avoid any mix-ups.

**At this point there are two Companions on your system, 2.1.X and 2.0.17 and the installations labeled them to keep them separate. Moving forward only 2.1.0 will be used.

**Edit July 5, 2015 I just noticed that although my PC appears to have two different Companions, clicking on 2.0 opens 2.1. Had I selected a different folder during the Companion install there would have been two Companions.

Edit August 8, 2015 want to state it again, before you start the Companion installation create a new 2.1.X. folder for the Companion installation so that during the installation you can stop and select that new folder during the installation and keep you old Companion installation separate from the new installation.

Using Companion 2.1.X, my next step was to open my backup that I’d made with the old Companion, reviewed it and saved it. The first time the backup is opened Companion 2.1.X it converts it to the new Companion 2.1.X file format and that is why I made two backup copies. In case I needed to go back to 2.0.17 I had a good backup.

2.1.X is a different branch in the OpenTX development process. When you move forward there are going to be things that cannot be compatible with the old branch. 2.1.X converts eeps from 2.0.XX to the 2.1.X format, but once they are converted they can no longer be used with 2.0.XX.

After looking through the new Companion 2.1.X I found that it used most of the settings from my old Companion. I have a custom splash screen and I had to set that in the new Companion. In the Companion settings screen make sure you have selected the correct transmitter, e.g. Tarains or Taranis Plus.

Flashing the Taranis or Taranis Plus with the new 2.1.X firmware

After I was satisfied that things looked OK with Companion I flashed my Taranis Plus using the power off USB setup because it does everything in one process. The boot loader, firmware and my custom splash screen. Just my preference.

I then disconnected the USB and turned on the Taranis Plus. When it is turned on it goes through a conversion of the models in the Taranis converting them to the 2.1.X format.

Post Firmware Installation Work

Voice Files, 2.1.X uses new voice files. Download them using the Companion download Icon and then “download voice”. I saved them in a directory and then copied them to the Taranis Plus, over writing the old voice files. There are two separate groups to copy counting the system group. I have some custom voice files so I copied the files in the folders into the existing folders on the Taranis so I did not lose my custom voice files.

Failsafe, the Taranis conversion process should convert the fail safe settings from 2.0.17 to 2.1.X. But it is a good safety process to check and test the settings. The Taranis will now give a failsafe warning on power up if the failsafe is not programed for the selected model. The “Custom” setting now provides the ability of each individual channel to have its own setting for X receivers. On the Custom Failsafe screen a long push of the ENT lets you select a preset position, HOLD or NONE. It takes a few seconds for the failsafe setting to download to the receiver when it is first turned on.

Telemetry, there are lots of new things in Telemetry and that requires that you pretty much reprogram anything Telemetry related that you had programed in in 2.0.17. **Telemetry sensors are only viewable or selectable when they are active, e.g. SWR, RSSI and A1 voltage (Called RxBt now) to display or use them in any programming. **For me that meant I had to have the aircraft receiver on for the model I was programming. Setting up the Telemetry screens look similar to 2.0.17 so that was easy to reprogram.

In the programming for each sensor there is a check box if you want data logging for the given sensor.

**Edit: July 5, 2015 I apparently didn't understand that once the sensors are discovered for a given model I could have turned off the receiver and continued my programming.

**Edit: September 7, 2015 With 2.1.2 there is a change. Telemetry sensors are no longer continuously detected, it is now necessary to go to the telemetry setup page and select the "Discover new sensors" menu item. This prevents creation of non-existing sensors in case if transmission errors, and allows deleting sensors that are received but considered uninteresting.

RSSI, and warning levels are still on the Telemetry page and still work the same

Low Voltage Warning, is not on the Telemetry page anymore, because the 2.1.X Telemetry has much more flexibility. Voltage source is there and I set it for my receiver RxBt. If you want low voltage voice warnings you program them using the logic switches and special functions. Here is how I did it for voice warnings on my receiver A1 voltage (now RxBt). Depending on your existing logic and special functions the values may differ. I used logic switch L4 because L1 though L3 were in use.

Logic Switches

L4 a<X RxBt 4.6v and then I set a delay of 1sec. (in plain English, Switch L4 is active if RxBt is less than 4.6 volts for more than 1 sec)

Special Function

L4 play track a1_org (the name of the voice file) Then repeat every 5 sec. (in plain English, when L4 is active play a1_org "A1 Low" and repeat every 5 sec)

Other Telemetry Functions

The receiver voltage that displays on the top bar of the Taranis default screen needs to be set in the telemetry screen. Set "RxBt" on the "Voltage Source" line under "Top Bar". See screen image below.

I had switch SE programed in Special Functions to play RSSI value and A1 value in position 2 and 3. Because they were Telemetry related I had to reprogram the Telemetry name in the field in the Special Functions, e.g., RSSI and RxBt.

One of the problems found in 2.1.0 was certain telemetry sensors not automatically finding a unit of measurement. That has been fixed in 2.1.1 but after the upgrade it must be manually set or the sensor deleted and rediscovered. In my case it was the "unit" for RSSI.

You will notice that some telemetry names have a + or - added to the name. This is the highest and lowest since the last telemetry reset.

Backups

As I was doing the programming changes I made a few backups during the process.

Conclusion

Depending on how complex the Telemetry programming is on your Taranis and how many models you have will determine how much work it will take to do the 2.1.X upgrade. Overall it was not very difficult, just some time going through each model, programing and testing.

It would be great to get input on this thread from other 2.1.X users or folks that have questions about the upgrade process. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish the process, but this is what worked for me.

As I started the process yesterday and was working through the upgrade I couldn't help but think about how powerful OpenTX has become.

Resources

If you are interested in helping the OpenTX development team as a tester you sign up here http://www.open-tx.org/links.html

2.1.X User documentation info is here http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8724

Additional 2.1.X installation info is here http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7239

More OpenTX 2.1.X resources can be found on the OpenTX University here http://open-txu.org/home/v2-1-resources/

Overview of 2.1.X Telemetry http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6887

New 2.1.X feature, flashing external or internal modules directly from the radio. http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=14805.0

Connecting Taranis to PC via USB https://github.com/opentx/opentx/wik...is-Bootloaders My preferred USB connection for flashing new firmware is the "Mode 1" power off method listed on the page because it works very well and flashes everything in one step. It will also be the least complicated and fastest method to swap/interchange OpenTX firmware and the FrTX firmware on the new FrSky Horus X12S. So it is a good tool to know for now and the future.

You Tube video by Scott Page on "Mode 1" power off firmware flashing , In his video he is using an older Companion version, but the process is still relevant.

Some really well done datagrams for inputs, mixer, outputs and logic switches documentation https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2609603

The new really nicely done Taranis Plus quick start guide http://open-txu.org/home/v2-1-resour...k-start-guide/

OpenTX Version Cycle

One of OpenTX’s strengths compared to common radio firmware is that it is highly dynamic and in constant evolution. OpenTX updates can make it appear like a whole new radio. It is therefore very important not to just blindly upgrade firmware when one is available, but to check precisely what has been changed and how it can influence your setups. Upgrading to the next major version does mean thoroughly checking setups, the possibility of unlearning old ways of doing things, and learning new ones.

Version control for the 2 series firmware is in the format of 2.x.y, where x corresponds to a major version, which introduces feature changes significant enough to require a break in compatibility of models and in usage/documentation. y corresponds to minor versions i.e. small bug fixes and feature changes within the same major version.

Status of Release 2.1.10

The status of 2.1.10 https://github.com/opentx/opentx/milestone/35

OpenTX Development Team Donation

Make a donation to the OpenTX development team https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...425cc639e26c6a

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jun 02, 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2015, 05:26 AM
Registered User
bob_nj's Avatar

:p


Anxiously awaiting
Jul 04, 2015, 05:31 AM
Registered User
bob_nj's Avatar
When you say "backup", are you backing up (File_Save) the eepe?

There is a "Backup Radio to FIle" option in Companion.

Just trying to clarify for us older fogies...
Jul 04, 2015, 06:38 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
Backup radio to file is the one to use.
Jul 04, 2015, 07:14 AM
Registered User
bob_nj's Avatar
When would that file need to be used?
In other words, what is its purpose?

Thanks
Bob
Jul 04, 2015, 07:14 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
bigbobed's Avatar
Are the new voice files Amber just reformatted?
Jul 04, 2015, 08:37 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj
When you say "backup", are you backing up (File_Save) the eepe?

There is a "Backup Radio to FIle" option in Companion.

Just trying to clarify for us older fogies...
Yes, I used the "Backup Radio to File". I was having a little trouble trying to figure out how to explain that part because I wanted two copies of the same backup. One to save incase I had to flash the firmware back to 2.0.17 and restore all my programming and the other was used for Companion 2.1 to convert to 2.1 format.

Once the conversion is done to 2.1 the file cannot be used with 2.0.17 thus the reason for making two backups.

I've only been using the Taranis Plus for a few months so I'm a newbie and haven't learned all the correct terms yet. I came from the Futaba world with a 9C Super and a 12FG and I'm really impressed with OpenTX. At this point I cannot foresee ever having another RC system unless it has OpenTX. It is so powerful and flexible and the programming seems very logical to me.

I'm on the waiting list at Aloft Hobbies for a FrSKY Horus X12D, so yes I'm a big OpenTX fan.

We owe so much to the OpenTX development team that created and maintain all this. It is incredible what they have accomplished.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jul 04, 2015 at 08:46 AM.
Jul 04, 2015, 08:44 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed
Are the new voice files Amber just reformatted?
The voice sounds the same to me, but I do not think I have any Amber files. I think there are changes on how they are numbered and named from 2.0.17. and it definitely does not work right without the new voice files. I have a few custom voice files so rather than deleting all the 2.0.17 voice files I copied the new files over the old files (copy and replace).

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jul 04, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
Jul 04, 2015, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Gratitude can be expressed two ways ...... By kind words (nice)......
Better yet , by donating $ to the development team !!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer

We owe so much to the OpenTX development team that created and maintain all this. It is incredible what they have accomplished.

Mike
Jul 04, 2015, 11:00 AM
Johninarky
Thanks Mike
John
Jul 04, 2015, 11:48 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez
Gratitude can be expressed two ways ...... By kind words (nice)......
Better yet , by donating $ to the development team !!!!
Yes, donations are great for the future of OpenTX. There is a donation link on the "About" page of Companion and on the "Help" page there is a link to the names of the developers and the names of people that have made donations.

Mike
Jul 04, 2015, 02:00 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Here is an example screen of how the "Custom" failsafe can work with 2.1.0.

CH1 and CH2 are ailerons and are set for HOLD.
CH3 is elevator and set for HOLD
CH4 is throttle and is preset at fast idle.
CH5 is Rudder and is set for HOLD
CH6 is gear and preset for down

Each individual channel has three possible settings, preset to a position, HOLD or NONE. NONE is no pulses. When the Taranis is turned and the receiver is on the programming is downloaded to the receiver. I believe this only works with X receivers.

Lots a ways this flexibility can be use and this is just an example.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jul 04, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Jul 04, 2015, 02:10 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed
Are the new voice files Amber just reformatted?
Which ones?
The voices downloaded through companion are computer-generated. The Amber pack will not be usable on 2.1 until someon reorders/renames the files to the new numbering.
Jul 04, 2015, 03:11 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
bigbobed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Which ones?
The voices downloaded through companion are computer-generated. The Amber pack will not be usable on 2.1 until someon reorders/renames the files to the new numbering.
I'd be willing to take a crack at it if you can point me to the new format requirements.
Jul 04, 2015, 03:38 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
There have been changes still today, so best to wait a tad for confirmation it's OK first


Thread Tools