Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 02, 2015, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Damen Stan Tug 1907

Time to build a Scottish Tug Boat Model~

This complete kit was bought from a company in Germany a few months ago:

http://www.modellbau-sievers.de/

It was delivered to my door in four days for $366.00.

Like the Tug from the same outfit that was just finished, it comes with all the stuff you need: tires, Kort nozzles, rudders, rudder tubes, full deck hardware kit, two winch kits, metal tow hook and hardware, bell cranks, pre cut cabin parts, windows with frames, decals, horns, lights, life cannisters, life rings, deck hardware, styrene deck ( not cheesy ply like the other guy ), styrene strips for the cooling fins on the hull bottom, wood and plastic parts.

The most appreciated feature is that it comes with two quality stainless stuffing boxes that fit inside the brass tubes that are cast into the hull, enough space between to secure and seal them.

So far the only thing I need to get from Harbor is a steering servo and some big brass props ( the kit props are plastic ).

This build will me more time consuming than the last as it appears to be more detailed.

Fortunately there are many pictures of the real Tug so references wont be hard to come by.

Unfortunately my German ain't so good, so interpreting the instructions may be an interesting challenge.

This model will be similar to the Clyde Bruiser.

This build is inspired by a Gent in Tasmania, Mr. Mermod, who designed and manufactured his own Stan Tug kit:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=42633.0

First things first, get the nasty business of sanding the inner hull surface above the deck line and opening the washports...........
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2015, 05:40 PM
This is gonna be great Tim....Looking forward to it.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Jul 02, 2015, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Mighty good you have you along Mr. Gravman, your PT boat work is well known ...

Here is the model that inspired me to build this kit, this Dude is a Real craftsman, he cast his own hull and laser cut all the parts ...
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 09, 2016 at 09:34 AM.
Jul 02, 2015, 06:34 PM
Nickel Belter
That sounds like an amazing value for such a complete and well-engineered kit!
Jul 02, 2015, 06:59 PM
Hi Tim,

Wow another boat already. You build about 5 boats to my one. I'll be watching this one.

Ed
Jul 02, 2015, 06:59 PM
You and I have been watching your inspirational build for some time now - great choice!

Now time to pay it forward and inspire more folks. Can't wait.
Jul 02, 2015, 07:05 PM
Chris
Ill be watching this one.
Jul 02, 2015, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
Nick: the value lies within a Very attractive Euro to Dollar exchange rate ...

Ed: This one could take a full year, there's A lot of parts and tons of potential for augmentation !

Mr. May, I am following YOU !
Jul 02, 2015, 08:49 PM
Thread OP

Damen Stan Tug

Starting to collect pictures of the real Tug, here are just a few:
Jul 02, 2015, 08:58 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Very interesting...

You know, recently I felt a need to catch my breath and back away from some overly ambitious scratch jobs... so I jumped into a pair of simultaneous builds, one classic Midwest kit and the new Dumas Buffalo... but both leave me feeling like I'm slumming a bit... well, more than a bit.

Now, I've tried other "complete" kits before... everything from RC-able plastic kits (which really are complete, model-wise), to truly complete RC models like the Robbe products... but even those left me thinking the model was too toy-like, even if well engineered.

I've tried a couple Asian kits which were supposed to be complete... but left me scratch building most everything, as well as scratching my head frequently... don't want to go there again.

But it looks like you've found what I consider the Holy Grail- a finely detailed and accurate model, German engineering, complete, and at a decent price.

Bares some looking into- thanks!
Last edited by patmat2350; Jul 02, 2015 at 10:56 PM.
Jul 02, 2015, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
A tour:
http://virtualtours.damen.com/damen-...7/stu1907.html

( don't drink cheep booze before you start )
Jul 02, 2015, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
28T bollard pull at work:

DAMEN STAN TUG 1907 (0 min 49 sec)
Jul 03, 2015, 04:17 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Nice! Will be watching...
Jul 03, 2015, 05:46 AM
no such thing as to many boats
Nice Tim finish one on to the next as always I'll be watching .
Jul 03, 2015, 05:47 AM
Lot of water; some gets thin

Quick Reply