Oct 31, 2017, 10:45 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It!

U² For Rough Service...

is doable......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don
Much to the chagrin of She Who Must Be Obeyed I'm thinking of getting one of these.

Our field is rough grass and I'm wondering about how the landing gear will hold up. Is the gear metal, and can the wheel pants be removed easily?

My other 'outdoor' plane is a Durafly Tundra that has 4½" wheels on articulated landing gear so there's no problem there, but the Ultimate's wheels are a quite a bit smaller and more rigidly mounted.

I'd really appreciate hearing experiences from anyone flying an Ultimate from a similar rough field before I start the 'begging and pleading' for ANOTHER airplane...

Thanks!

Don
Ditch the wheel pants, put 2-1/2" diameter sneakers on there & punch the throttle. She'll lift of in a few feet... Hand launches are also fairly easy so your options are open with this lil' U² Bipenista......
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2017, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R
is doable......

Ditch the wheel pants, put 2-1/2" diameter sneakers on there & punch the throttle. She'll lift of in a few feet... Hand launches are also fairly easy so your options are open with this lil' U² Bipenista......
Thanks RCAV8T0R! That sounds like an excellent idea.

I thought of another question too. Does anyone have an Ultimate and a Viking (280 size)? I have a Viking that I fly in a huge dome we have access to and it's one of my favorite planes. I'm hoping the Ultimate has similar fight characteristics.

Thanks!

Don
Oct 31, 2017, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don
Thanks RCAV8T0R! That sounds like an excellent idea.

I thought of another question too. Does anyone have an Ultimate and a Viking (280 size)? I have a Viking that I fly in a huge dome we have access to and it's one of my favorite planes. I'm hoping the Ultimate has similar fight characteristics.

Thanks!

Don
Don if have seen my vid ,OF course u can fly it in that super big dome.....I fly this plane in my small yard without just harrier it around
Oct 31, 2017, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Don if have seen my vid ,OF course u can fly it in that super big dome.....I fly this plane in my small yard without just harrier it around
Thanks DC!

Of course you make everything look easy!

I really want the Ultimate for outdoors. I still do 95% of my flying indoors - no micros though - but I'm starting to enjoy flying outdoors too!

By the way, is the landing gear made of metal? I would take RCAV8T0R's advice of removing the pants and adding larger wheels if SHE allows me to get ANOTHER airplane...

Thanks!

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Oct 31, 2017 at 10:31 PM.
Feb 01, 2018, 08:27 AM
Well I took the plunge! Swapped in a 60a esc and ran some numbers through Drive Calc and on 4s with a 10x5.5mr or a 11x5 I think the e-flite 10 will live and give about 800 grams more thrust.

If the power 10 doesn't seem to take the power very good I will probably swap in a Potenza 10 4s motor that Flex sells for the Mamba 10 as a power upgrade
Mar 24, 2018, 06:26 PM

the good and bad

OK, out of the box, receiver was dead, and all decals were coming off on edges.

out in my own spektrum receiver, and it flys great, exactly as advertised (except without SAFE obviously)

Pros: great maneuverability, easy to learn on.

I put the better prop on from the Yak, 12x5.25 and it is truly awesome power ratio for it.

Cons: Bad Receiver, ESC died after about 25 flights, decals peeling off easy, wheel pants get in the way on grass, wings could be attached a little better (not flush or lined up well, but doesn't effect flight)

overall: I keep fixing it, and I'm going to paint it... since ALL of the decals came off too easy with edges easy to grab hold of.
Mar 24, 2018, 10:22 PM
I did the maiden flight on my 'previously flown' Ultimate last Sunday. It was a success! Since I fly off rough grass fields, I removed the wheel pants and used 3" wheels replaced the stock ones. Yes, the picture below was taken AFTER the maiden! ;-)

I'm happy to report that the Ultimate arrived and departed the field in the same condition! Reminds me a lot of my 280 size Viking, just bigger!

raventotem84, when I bought mine, several of the decals were lifting at the edges too. I used a covering iron set at low heat and went over them. That worked pretty well.

Don
May 08, 2018, 10:19 PM
I know this plane is geared towards 3D flight but is it possible to further tweak precision mode so that it has a better sport feel? I’d like that mode to behave more like the little UMX Pitts or Eflight Commander if possible. To me precision mode feels very disconnected/mushy? and I fight stalling during simple turns sometimes. I’ve only had 8 flights with it so far, and the Pitts and Commander are my only other planes and this is a different beast for sure. Been flying helis for a few years and still do, but last year I got bit by the plane bug...so still green with planes outside of making sure it’s mechanically trimmed and the CG is good.

Maybe this plane by design is just not going to perform that way, but I don’t know enough to know better. Just wondering if it would be worth picking up the programming cable and attempting to alter the precision flight mode to better mimic what I’m looking for.

Any help would be appreciated there. If it’s not, I still enjoy it and do like to mess with harriers and hovering. Maybe another bi-plane is in order. I’d love a UMX Pitts this size, any suggestions there as well?

Thanks!
May 08, 2018, 10:56 PM
U do know that expo and throw R already programmed in RX.....I have flown plane in all 3 modes....Nothing was mushy...Very agile at slow speeds
May 09, 2018, 12:41 PM
I figured with the three modes it was preset, is there a list of those settings? They're not in the manual.

Maybe mushy brings the wrong connotation to what I'm trying to describe, but in precision mode it almost feels like a delay between my stick input and the plane which then overcorrects. Expo could be the cause. Either way, is that something that can be adjusted via programming?

I did have an issue with the first bind of the plane. After flying the first pack, I was unable to connect after that. Ended up having to take it home and reset the model in my DX8 before I could bind it again. It's been fine since then though.

Thanks,
May 22, 2018, 06:51 PM
Vietnam Veteran, Army
I received my new E-flite Ultimate 2 last week and put the first 2 flights on it last Saturday.
It seemed a bit slower than I anticipated, but flew well.

I put 2 more flights on this morning, this time with an APC 12 x 5 propeller. The performance
is noticeably better over the stock 12 x 4 propeller. Motor, battery and ESC were barely warm
after an aggressive aerobatic session. I'm using E-flite 3000 3S batteries, so good flight times
so far.

Quite pleased with this airplane.
Jun 07, 2018, 04:15 AM
I review RC Products
In this video you'll see Bill maiden his brand new E-flite Ultimate 2 Biplane with SAFE. Like all of Bill's flights, this one was an adventure. He shows off his significant advancement in the hobby flying this plane in some strong wind with some fantastic recoveries so this beautiful plane will live to fly another day!

Bill's E-flite Ultimate 2 Biplane BNF RC Plane with SAFE Maiden Flight With Near Crash! (5 min 8 sec)
Jun 07, 2018, 06:13 AM
GB this plane just has Panic recovery....no safe modes...
E FLITE ULTiMATE-2 Close Hovering and Harrying in yard (2 min 24 sec)
Last edited by dalecheek1; Jun 07, 2018 at 06:20 AM.
Jun 16, 2018, 08:34 PM
I review RC Products
I was misinformed then. It wouldn't be the first time lol

Nice flying and landing as always Mr. 3D!
Jun 16, 2018, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
I was misinformed then. It wouldn't be the first time lol

Nice flying and landing as always Mr. 3D!
I urge u to get this plane. U do not have to 3D it. I just think after a couple flights u will enjoy flying it. Easy to put together as everything just snaps together.

Quick Reply