Apr 30, 2019, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the info. I also bought an Orange RX for a micro MiG-29 I'll be doing this summer. I bought that brand because it's a little bigger and uses regular servo plugs. I'm new to both brands, so I'll test both before use.
Finished the paint and decals on the F-16. Here are a couple photos.
Last edited by Wing No; Apr 30, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2019, 05:40 AM
Looks so much better without the stupid giant chicken Thunderbirds paintjob.
Here's the inside view. I used a RX from the first version MiG-15 and the 11750kV motor and 5-blade EDF from the first version Habu.
Unbelievable thrust - with a low battery (stock Eflite 280 30C) I blipped the throttle and it shot across the tabletop. I also bought some 300 batteries that are 45C specifically for the F-16 and it has even more thrust with those.
Apr 30, 2019, 05:47 AM
Here are a couple shots with the nav lights on (work from switch on TX ) and the strobe flashing on the vertical fin. (Strobe is active with battery connection).The control unit for the strobe is in the nose where the rudder servo should go and you can dial in any flash rate you want. I have it set up to flash once normally, then quickly very bright. A two -step pattern.
In the second photo you can see the high intensity orange LED in the exhaust tube that lights with throttle. Here it's on about 20% throttle with a low battery so it doesn't shoot off the table. Even at this setting it was moving around a little as I tried to photograph it.
Apr 30, 2019, 05:50 AM
My name is Naga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing No

Thanks for the info. Must be a different model because I just bought this one last week. I also bought an Orange RX for a micro MiG-29 I'll be doing this summer..i bought that brand because it's a little bigger and uses regular servo plugs. I'm new to both brands, so I'll test both before use.
Finished the paint and decals on the F-16. Here are a couple photos.
Yes, it is a totally different model of Rx.

I think BG had so many complaints about the whole line of RXs from that manufacturer that they discontinued the range.

I have had no problems so far with Redcon, but limited experience as yet. Haven't read any bad reports.

Your model is looking very nice!
Apr 30, 2019, 05:53 AM
Oh, I also installed tiny screens on the cooling holes in the hatch above the RX.
Apr 30, 2019, 05:55 AM
Thanks. Assembled it from "scratch "...
Apr 30, 2019, 10:16 AM
My name is Naga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing No

Thanks. Assembled it from "scratch "...
I know, I have been following your progress closely.

Impressive! You will end up with a better model than stock.

If you run out of room for the strobe control unit you can either get a LED that flashes automatically or get a really small unit that does the same job, tiny.

How did you get the high intensity orange LED in the exhaust tube to turn on with Throttle?

I am looking forward to reports on your maiden, I really hope it goes well.
Last edited by nagas; Apr 30, 2019 at 10:22 AM.
May 01, 2019, 04:43 AM
The flashing LEDs don't look like a real strobe light like this flasher does. I hadn't seen a tiny strobe light that strobes like a real strobe light without having a control unit. I have a flashing LED inside the red housing on my Cessna 177 (bashed from UMX Cessna 182) and it just flashes at a constant rate. If you see a tiny strobe light that doesn't have a separate control unit I'd love to see it.
The orange LED is wired to the motor wires and sits at the rear of the motor so it doesn't block airflow from the fan. Gets brighter as throttle increases.
Won't be doing a maiden anytime soon. Still have to re-open it to install the new RX and ESC when I get them and finish a couple more projects first. Probably the fall before it hits the air. Since it's so small and has great thrust with no AS3X I'll be flying the new MiG-15 on the way from Horizon first with the AS3X and SAFE to get used to a jet before trying the F-16. No hurry - I just wanted to build one before the airframe parts disappeared from availability. (Now HH will probably bring out a new UMX F-16 with AS3X,SAFE, nice paint job, and upgraded motor... )
I'll be adding nav lights and orange exhaust LED to the MiG when I get it and I still have the MiG-29 project waiting after that. It'll be fall before I get all these jets sorted out and ready to fly, with whatever time I have to work on them over summer.
May 01, 2019, 05:08 AM
My name is Naga
Don't know about strobe, I only have two very small units to control LEDs:

Kemo M07N and also M079N

Regarding the Orange LEDs for the engine, that is clever! PWM output to drive the brightness of the LED! Of course!

I always think details matter and make all the difference. Nice work.
May 04, 2019, 05:10 AM
Thanks nagas. Nice to have one's work appreciated.
Are those two Keno units flasher units? If so can you set the flashing rate?
My new version two MiG-15 arrived today so I'll be starting the same treatment on that one. Still waiting for the RX and ESC for the F-16 from China...
May 04, 2019, 05:44 AM
My name is Naga
Yes they are flashers.

I think the M079N can be set up with different flash rates using the caps and resistors. I do know that with the different outputs you can get them flashing different LEDs alternatively and so on. They are still in their packets waiting for a build. My stash is stupid.
May 05, 2019, 05:40 AM
Unboxed my new MiG-15 today. This is the before shot (before I start modifying it). The F-16 is next to it for comparison.
I'll post in the MiG-15 owners thread to compare some changes to the earlier one.
This is the MiG-29 project with MiG-15 for size comparison. Twin 30mm EDFs.
Last edited by Wing No; May 05, 2019 at 05:47 AM.
May 07, 2019, 04:57 AM
For all you guys asking how I do the orange LED on the EDF unit, see the last posts on the MiG-15 owners thread by nitrocharged.
May 20, 2019, 04:25 AM
Hey, Joe1320- I decided to go with your idea after all. The receiver and BEC ESC arrived and the weight of two HH linear servos is about the same as the receiver and ESC, so I decided to add ailerons and just leave the original receiver in place and that way I'll have AS3X. With such a small jet I'd rather have AS3X. I wired the two taileron servos together and plugged them into the elevator channel, so they work as a stabilator. The MiG RX I'm using (version 1 without SAFE) has two plugs for seperate ailerons already and I can plug a switch for the lights into it, unlike the V2 SAFE RXs that you can't. It'll all work out with about 5 grams extra weight from the ailerons.
Jun 10, 2019, 11:40 PM

Maiden Report +2 more

Hiya Gents- 3 flights....nice flyer. I used some 200mah 25c i had left over from my UMX GEE-BEE . will buy the 280mah 30c's (3 of them tomorrow ) I bought this bird as a little bro to my e-flite f-16 70mm.

Quick Reply