Jul 02, 2015, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFPV
Filtered ground? None of your grounds will be filtered unless you are using isolated regulators. Im certain you are not. Your ESC's power ground certainly wouldnt be even in that case else you would have some very hefty converters on there.

The ESC's ground to the signal ground is more than sufficient. If you have grounding issues leading to poor signal quality, it is most likely on the FC side of things.
we were discussing this in the sn20a thread right?

I'm just passing on my findings with what has worked and what hasn't in my experience. there doesn't seem to be a clear answer as to why some setups work without signal ground and some don't.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2015, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine
we were discussing this in the sn20a thread right?

I'm just passing on my findings with what has worked and what hasn't in my experience. there doesn't seem to be a clear answer as to why some setups work without signal ground and some don't.
I thought I recognized you!

The clear answer is poor grounding at the FC. While using the ESC signal ground to the FC does fix it, it is not the ESC being ground via that lead that fixes it. It is the fact you are grounding the FC, which depending on the FC, may have a floating ground on the output side due to how power is routed.

Most people just have the understanding of what is happening backwards.
Jul 02, 2015, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFPV
I thought I recognized you!

The clear answer is poor grounding at the FC. While using the ESC signal ground to the FC does fix it, it is not the ESC being ground via that lead that fixes it. It is the fact you are grounding the FC, which depending on the FC, may have a floating ground on the output side due to how power is routed.

Most people just have the understanding of what is happening backwards.
yeah, that makes sense to me. i wish i could go back and experiment with the Zuul, but it was strange because i didn't have any other symptoms of a bad ground to the FC.

it was always motor #1 that would have the problem (although since it desyncs it's hard to say if the other motors would have a problem as well...). i wonder if in my case it was just a bad ground to ESC #1 in general.
Jul 02, 2015, 09:17 PM
Quote:
the sn20a's are actually already connected to ground, this is sufficient for my 4s build with 1806 motors.

I did have an issue without connecting ground in my 2208/2000kv Zuul build, I suspect that was due to excessive noise in the power system, or maybe even a bad ground to one of the ESC's.

I don't think that could cause an ESC to burn, what setup were you running?

if in doubt just run the wires directly to the FC in the factory twisted pair, or make sure the FC is grounded well and ground each ESC signal pad to a filtered ground.
SunnySky x2207s 2100kv, HQ 5x4.5 bullnose, and 4s. I'm thinking (hoping) I just got a bad esc, and it failed under strain from the propellers. Everything worked fine on the bench. I'm also running BLHeli 14 beta (I figured why not run beta software on a beta board?), not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Oh well. Will replace the esc and try again this weekend.
Jul 02, 2015, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therippa
SunnySky x2207s 2100kv, HQ 5x4.5 bullnose, and 4s. I'm thinking (hoping) I just got a bad esc, and it failed under strain from the propellers. Everything worked fine on the bench. I'm also running BLHeli 14 beta (I figured why not run beta software on a beta board?), not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Oh well. Will replace the esc and try again this weekend.
do you have any blackbox data? that setup will probably very sensitive to oscillations.
Jul 02, 2015, 10:04 PM
Quote:
do you have any blackbox data? that setup will probably very sensitive to oscillations.
Nope, both UART ports are already being used. What makes you think it would be sensitive to oscillations?
Jul 02, 2015, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therippa
Nope, both UART ports are already being used. What makes you think it would be sensitive to oscillations?
oscillations = heat = bad
Jul 02, 2015, 11:00 PM
I'm definitely in for at least 1. Great looking board.
Jul 03, 2015, 02:59 AM
crashing since 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Grande
Just sent a message to Phil.

Those pads or a prime example of some quality suggestions that were made that I was able to implement into the PDB.

Good man! Thanks very much!

I have my fingers crossed
Jul 03, 2015, 03:00 AM
crashing since 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook62
Very cool that you got the community involved in your design. Speaks volumes.
Hello Rook. Fancy meeting you here mate!
Jul 03, 2015, 03:19 AM
Nice work
Jul 03, 2015, 08:28 AM
Team Crash
Seems we are both looking for the same thing. A quality PDB that's available at a reasonable price. I think we found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder19.75
Hello Rook. Fancy meeting you here mate!
Jul 03, 2015, 09:46 AM
crashing since 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook62
Seems we are both looking for the same thing. A quality PDB that's available at a reasonable price. I think we found it.
Exactly. And from someone who will actually deliver! There's a novel idea mate
Jul 03, 2015, 01:25 PM
multirotormania.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Grande
No, I said that I don't do pre-orders.

I've also told the retailers that have expressed interest in carrying these PDB's that I wasn't going to tie their hands. As of right now I have 4 retailers that have said they want to carry my PDB.

In alphabetical order:

Multirotormania.com
Multirotorsuperstore.com
Platinumhobbies.com
Team-Legit.com

I will post in this thread when the PDB's are being shipped from me to these upstanding retailers.

While I will not be doing preorders myself, I won't tell anyone else how to run their business. They are free to take orders as they please. And buyers are obviously free to place orders as they please.

I like a free marketplace.
I'm with you. Preorders were a major pain when it came to the other PDBs. There will be plenty available, so I don't see any need to do it myself.
Jul 03, 2015, 07:04 PM
Suspended Account
pre-orders on Platinum Hobbies are out of stock already..this will be a never ending comedy... LOL