Jul 01, 2015, 09:12 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
Discussion

Wilson Fall Fun Fly (WF3)

Wilson Fall Fun Fly (WF3) is a proposed weekend slope Fun Fly at Wilson Lake, Lucas, KS. I presented the idea to the pilots who attended the May 2015 Midwest Slope Challenge and received a very positive response. As such I feel the idea is going to fly (pun intended). So… Here goes:

We probably should decide on a weekend for this year’s (1st Annual?) WF3, and determine if the the pilots who plan to attend want any structure for the weekend, or as I’ve proposed we just have a fall fun fly for anyone who wants to show up.

To review: Every May as I’m coming over the last hill on Hiway 232 and get my first at Wilson Lake, the dam and the main slope across the water, I can’t believe it’s been a full year since I’ve come out to Lucas and flown Wilson (and the Midwest Slope Challenge). I always promise myself that I’ll come again before the year’s out. Well this year I want to make it happen for myself, and since it’s a lot more fun to fly pilots afflicted with the same passion as I have - flying great slopes - I’d much prefer flying with you all!

That said… Looking at the calendar I propose one of two possible weekends:

Either...
Fri - Sun Sept 11th - 13th
or
Fri - Sun Oct 2nd - 4th.

Here’s my logic: I assume we want to stay away from Labor Day weekend as the Wilson campsites will no doubt be crowded and some folks probably have other commitments. I have a family commitment the weekend of Sept 18th, and out here in Colorado we have Blue Mesa Fun Fly and Combat weekend just west of Gunnison, CO the weekend of Sept 25th. So, from my perspective that leaves the two weekends above. We could also hold the event later in October, but of course the later we hold it, the cooler it’ll be.

Let every one know you thoughts.

... Greg Hine

(BTW: Check out the Blue Mesa thread if you're interested in a great slope and fun camping weekend this September: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2449765)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2015, 11:13 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Great idea Greg and thanks for heading it up.
I am available either of those two weekends, but the September 11-13 weekend is best for me.

Mark
Jul 02, 2015, 01:20 PM
October would be much better for me.

Thane
Jul 02, 2015, 06:17 PM
Jack
October would be better for me
Jul 02, 2015, 10:15 PM
October would work out foe me .Erik
Jul 02, 2015, 10:44 PM
October would work.

Chance
Jul 04, 2015, 08:21 AM
My vote is for October also.

Lucky
Jul 10, 2015, 05:28 PM
Either work for me.

Jim
Jul 11, 2015, 04:29 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
Well... It's pretty obvious that October 2nd - 4th gets the nod for the dates of the 1st (annual?) WF3. Put that on your calendar.

I'll probably come out early, as I always do. And probably stay at Sylvan Park. Let us know what your plans will be.

... Greg
Aug 09, 2015, 09:57 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
A quick update on Oct's WF3: As of early July we appeared to have +/- 15 pilots interested in the Oct 2nd - 4th dates. Most replied to me via email. In the next couple of weeks, I'll pole everyone who contacted me earlier in the summer and will report back. At this writing I'd say the 1st Annual WF3 - Oct 2nd thru 4th is a "go".

Stay tuned. I'll be back in touch.

... Greg
Aug 09, 2015, 12:34 PM
Fly like you can still see it
> I'd say the 1st Annual WF3 - Oct 2nd thru 4th is a "go".

Cool gruel. Sounds like big fun.
Marked on my fall trip calendar.
Greg, Thanks for honchoing this.

// Dave
Aug 14, 2015, 11:34 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Dave, How you doing, It's Ken, Todd and I flew with you back in the late 90's at Wilson when it was just starting out.
Aug 19, 2015, 05:42 PM

Wilson in September

I can't make the fall Wilson slope fly. I may be driving from Denver to Wichita about Sept. 12 to 14. If possible, I would like to stop at Wilson for some sloping. Can this be done on a non-scheduled, individual basis? If so, who would I contact locally to tell me where to go, etc. Thanks. Currently flying Windrider Bee (48 and 60 inch) and Birdie, Alula, and NCFM Moth. [email protected]
Aug 19, 2015, 11:13 PM
Give me a call and I will try to meet up with you. I live in hays so it's close by. The site is open to all we just like to keep it picked up and clean .The park guys have been very good to us for over 20 years and we hope to keep it that way. I will pm you my # Thanks Erik
Sep 05, 2015, 08:59 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
The FAA just released (9/2/15) Advisory Circular 91-57A affecting "persons operating unmanned aircraft for hobby or recreational purposes..." Attached is a copy. To me, it appears to be a reasonable compromise, the principal changes being a 5 mile radius around airports (previous was 3 mile) for notice to the airport administration & model aircraft operators need to be aware of "Notices to Airmen" including temporary flight restrictions, etc. In this PDF I've highlighted potential changes and other important items from the previous understanding between the FAA and AMA.

... Greg

Quick Reply