Jul 08, 2015, 01:15 PM
IWC
IWC
T-28
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2015, 01:23 PM
☠ -4
I like that color scheme a lot. Guess I am getting bored with the "red" and white version.
Jul 08, 2015, 01:51 PM
Official Boat Bum
I think the size is perfect for something different for some and something nice for others. I think they will get the attention of guys who have never considered a foamie before and they might already be flying larger scale models. (In the competition, I'm frankly underwhelmed by the finickiness and cheapness of components on otherwise well known and well presented / nicely scaled large warbirds out there). They will also get guys who need no "selling" on foam models, to upsize to models that frankly fly and present better.

What will get guys to rave about the model is if Eflite uses quality servos, quality motors and quality hardware. No cheap brittle plastic junk connectors, no brittle plastic junk landing gear mounts, no brittle plastic junk motor mounts... You know what I mean.

Unfortunately in this case, it's a scale type model that "looks like" at this point that it's more sport than scale. To me they seem to be catering to the 60 percent median hobby flyer out there and as a business model that makes sense and I can see what they are doing. I could only see myself buying something like this if the scale details were a little better though.

While I'll take quality components over bling, I still need a little bling too. I am unmotivated with the basic scale stuff that is left out in this model. The biggest bother for me is the "blah" cockpit and 2 blade prop though. They could have included a half cockpit vs the uninspired flat floor and no detail interior. (This is a huge cockpit, what sells for scale guys is at least the bones to add a lot of detail to for scale guys). At least have made the molds to include recepticles to accept an add on cockpit. Inner gear doors... would have been nice but not required per se... maybe an add on kit for those too, but they'd have had to design the molds for this add on to be "plug and play" to make it practical. The design costs nothing, but if it's not in the design it's harder to go back and make it so for those who are not "crafty" as kit bashers. This sort of thing - if it is in the bones already, it will make the model a winner for more people. "Scale Ready" if you will.

Aside from that it's neat to see Eflite go larger even if it's not really scale like most planes would be at this size.
Jul 08, 2015, 06:27 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I know what your saying and have virtually said the same thing but I dont mind bashing a model to more scale and making it your own .
My win on these type planes is that you know they will fly and fly well, the wing loading alone will make it a cream puff even with mods , more power and two 4 cell packs.
I see this as a fly stock , get some wear and tear , save my money for the scale upgrades and start it year two .
Its so worth it vs building a kit or flying an ESM version that will easily come in at 20lbs
Jul 08, 2015, 07:05 PM
AMA - 734492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
I know what your saying and have virtually said the same thing but I dont mind bashing a model to more scale and making it your own .
My win on these type planes is that you know they will fly and fly well, the wing loading alone will make it a cream puff even with mods , more power and two 4 cell packs.
I see this as a fly stock , get some wear and tear , save my money for the scale upgrades and start it year two .
Its so worth it vs building a kit or flying an ESM version that will easily come in at 20lbs
Exactly, I agree.
Jul 08, 2015, 07:10 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
The other big appeal for this plane is that you can buy it and literally be up and flying within an hour of opening the box. Not very many big planes out there this size that can claim that.

Kman
Jul 08, 2015, 09:51 PM
Official Boat Bum
She will fly like a "cream puff" and can be flying quickly. Pretty cool stuff in a lot of ways. If it had a scale-ish cockpit and a 3 bladed scale prop standard I'd have already pre prdered Still, it's pretty cool.
Jul 09, 2015, 09:58 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
This plane would be a good candidate to add a big three bladed prop. sound system, and a smoke system

2011 Lancaster Airport Community Days Airshow - Jerry Kerby & T-28 Trojan (11 min 58 sec)

Kman
Jul 09, 2015, 10:34 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
man that looks like a crop dusterlol !!
I have the perfact combo for a 3 blade !
elfight 110 , 100 amp esc 17/10/3 or 18/10/3 Bella Prop from Troy Build Models !!
Struts from Hobby King three in all !
Mr Sound sound system !
Can you say "Dear Santa "
Also dont forget a Fergelli linear servo to drive the canopy open and closed
Jul 09, 2015, 11:41 AM
The sky is my playground.
You know, a sound system might not be a bad idea. There certainly will be plenty of room for it. I'm getting closer to ordering this one.
Jul 10, 2015, 02:49 PM
I posted this over in the other thread as well:

For those talking about size, the T-28 breaks down into a relatively small package.

Wings are two piece - bolt onto fuse with 4 screws (2 per side)
Stabs are two piece - bolt on to vertical fin with 2 screws (1 per side)
Vertical Fin is removable - bolts onto fuse with 2 screws

If you want to leave the stabs on the fin, you can remove the whole stab/fin assembly together, and have the airplane broken down with only 6 screws. Of course, if you want to pull the stabs off the fin, its another 2 screws, plus a linkage.

Of course, the canopy uses a spring loaded latch, so that is quick and easy to remove as well should you need to try and cram it into a Ford Festiva.

Essentially to break it down as shown in the photos, its 8 screws plus the elevator linkage (just a basic clevis attachment.
Jul 10, 2015, 03:35 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
I like that color scheme a lot. Guess I am getting bored with the "red" and white version.
Same here. Since I'm ex Army I kinda like this scheme.

Mike
Jul 10, 2015, 04:48 PM
☠ -4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Same here. Since I'm ex Army I kinda like this scheme.

Mike
Ex Army in San Diego? Don't tell your neighbors

Seriously that is cool scheme too. Being ex-navy though I'll have to be a closet admirer
Jul 10, 2015, 09:09 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth
... should you need to try and cram it into a Ford Festiva.
Designed to be transported in a Festiva, clever marketing

Will this plane ever be available in kit form?
I'm very interested in the airframe but personally little else interests me. At all. A 2000mm Trojan as a foamie really gets my creative juices flowing, but stock with a 5060 motor on 6 cell with a 14.75 dia two blade prop does zero for me, because I know I'll get very bored, very quickly, almost seems to me HH has come up with the world's first 2000mm park flyer, suitable to beginners with flight stabilisation! But at the suggested retail price she'd be an expensive price formy boredom. And no suspension is questionable to me because I mostly fly off grass.
Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt she'll have been very well designed and tested, as example to reliability I flew the ParkZone P47 well in excess of 180 flights, totally stock & without anything replaced other than a prop upgrade. Her demise was pilot error
I have no doubt that if you flew this T28 rock stock she'd fly reliably forever & a day, but I'd be going 3 blade prop, 110 ~ 160 size, appropriate size servos, and decent landing gear. Probably even detail the cockpit a little. Hell, would probably even be worth a neat fibreglass job for long term preservation.
So while I really do love the concept, for me it is unsuitable in stock form. Kit form though, very interested.
And the other thing I'm really apprehensive to find out... how much it'll cost landed in Australia...
Jul 10, 2015, 10:30 PM
oops wrongway
Hoppy - here you go, on the Modelflight website
http://www.modelflight.com.au/planes...-t-28-pnp.html
Too big for me but looks good.....

Quick Reply