Jul 02, 2015, 06:59 PM
is there anyway to get the video feed from the Chroma to some fatsharks?? The Phantom 3 will have an upgrade board released for $150 that will convert it to the same inputs as the Inspire radio, hdmi in port...so that means with some Headplays or Zeiss glasses you could fpv on the Phantom 3 with very high quality, not sure about the lag though?? I really just want to fpv
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2015, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelicopterHeav
is there anyway to get the video feed from the Chroma to some fatsharks?? The Phantom 3 will have an upgrade board released for $150 that will convert it to the same inputs as the Inspire radio, hdmi in port...so that means with some Headplays or Zeiss glasses you could fpv on the Phantom 3 with very high quality, not sure about the lag though?? I really just want to fpv
The lag is a lot less on the HDMI port. In my experience it is cut by more than 1/2 compared to an iPad Mini.
Jul 05, 2015, 06:12 PM
Updated list:

------Phantom 3 (1080p)------
$100 cheaper than the Chroma
Offers 10 times the transmission range
Has a better quality video feed
Better camera (according to some)
Manual control over the camera settings when in flight
Smaller and easier to transport
More accessories available
Can see video on any size smartphone or tablet (Chroma is limited to small 5" screen)
If you're in Canada and order from DJI you pay no Tax - making it $200-400 cheaper than the Chroma, depending on your province)

------Chroma (1080p)------
Backed by Horizon Hobby's legendary customer service - DJI not so great at support
Yuneec quads are more reliable than DJI
No worries about firmware updates constantly breaking things like with DJI
Works with the Steadygrip for ground filming
Has a built in display
Better battery life (30-32 minutes versus 20-22 minutes)
Has 'Watch me' and 'Follow me' modes (P3 does not)
Better looking than the dated and ugly Phantom design (in my opinion)
More modular and easier to repair - parts can be ordered from Horizon or local hobby shops)
Available from my local hobby shop (Phantom is not - and is still hard to get in Canada)
Jul 05, 2015, 06:16 PM
After weighing up the pros and cons I ordered the Phantom directly from DJI. This worked out $323 cheaper than buying the Chroma. I was able to order a second battery and still keep the total cost quite a bit less than the Chroma. It was the lower cost, plus Lightbridge, plus the smaller, easier to transport size that finally swayed me over to the Phantom 3.
Jul 13, 2015, 12:51 PM
Drone Camps RC
TOP 10 Features - Phantom 3 VS Chroma - PART 1 (16 min 38 sec)

TOP 10 Features - Phantom 3 VS Chroma - Part 2 (17 min 19 sec)
Jul 13, 2015, 01:00 PM
Phantom 3P, Inspire 1, P4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelicopterHeav
The hdmi board was just released today. It's $99.
http://store.dji.com/product/phantom...-output-module
Jul 13, 2015, 01:05 PM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek
Updated list:

------Chroma (1080p)------
Yuneec quads are more reliable than DJI
No worries about firmware updates constantly breaking things like with DJI
Do you have any proof of this statement?

I've followed all the Blade 350 threads from day one as well as the Q500 stuff and the amount of failures seems fairly high given the relatively small amount.

Stating that it's more reliable without the data to back it up - hours flown, conditions, numbers of birds in the wild, etc. seems like a total guess.
Jul 13, 2015, 01:06 PM
I have a Chroma and I am largely quite happy with it. Many of the cons to the Chroma can be addressed by the programming interface. Apparently more agility can be unlocked as well. I liked the notion of the screen being built in prior to choosing but now I am sure I would prefer to fly with a bigger screen which is above the radio like the P3 setup. There is an app for the CG02+ and I have it on my devices. Just need to rig up a mount.
Jul 14, 2015, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri
Do you have any proof of this statement?

I've followed all the Blade 350 threads from day one as well as the Q500 stuff and the amount of failures seems fairly high given the relatively small amount.

Err, can you prove your statement? No, I didn't think so.

I don't know the number sold to number with faults ratio because that information can only be known by the manufacturers. But I do know that the Phantom line is constantly plagued by problems. Quite a number of firmware updates have been buggy. We've all heard of the reputation for Phantoms flying away. And right now the new Phantom 3 has a cracking plastic issue. The Chroma is new so my comparison is with the Q500 which appears to be more reliable than the Phantoms. But without knowing the above mentioned ratio this is just speculation.

Having said that, I ordered a Phantom 10 days ago. I have found out first hand that DJI's customer service is very lacking. In my case, non existent. I still don't want the Chroma though because I want a quad that can hold a signal farther than 6 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri

Stating that it's more reliable without the data to back it up - hours flown, conditions, numbers of birds in the wild, etc. seems like a total guess.
None of us can access that information so it's guesswork for all of us, as you have shown with your multiple "seems like...." statements.
Jul 14, 2015, 09:17 AM
The P3 appears to have a problem holding a level horizon as well. I'm seeing several P3 fans posting videos on how to try and correct it, but hopefully DJI will fix that with updates so people don't have to jump through hoops to get an image that is level.
Jul 14, 2015, 09:59 AM
Mosquito 6

P3 Stability? RU Kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteauthor
The P3 appears to have a problem holding a level horizon as well. I'm seeing several P3 fans posting videos on how to try and correct it, but hopefully DJI will fix that with updates so people don't have to jump through hoops to get an image that is level.
Rumor has it, that you need to re-calibrate your compass on occasion, especially if you are changing home/launch locations. And as for range .. Wow. I d/l'd this using WinX YouTube Downloader (free), put on a thumb, and play it on a 46" 3d Samsung. Absolutely incredible .. inspiring .. uplifting. Enjoy!

Jul 14, 2015, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68
Rumor has it, that you need to re-calibrate your compass on occasion, especially if you are changing home/launch locations. And as for range .. Wow. I d/l'd this using WinX YouTube Downloader (free), put on a thumb, and play it on a 46" 3d Samsung. Absolutely incredible .. inspiring .. uplifting. Enjoy!

The P3 is very stable. It also appears to have problems with level horizons on occasion. As well as cracking.

Don't be so sensitive. If I were to buy a quad right now it would be the P3 by a hair - but I'm looking at each platform honestly and assessing their pros AND cons.
Jul 14, 2015, 10:56 AM
Mosquito 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteauthor
The P3 is very stable. It also appears to have problems with level horizons on occasion. As well as cracking.

Don't be so sensitive. If I were to buy a quad right now it would be the P3 by a hair - but I'm looking at each platform honestly and assessing their pros AND cons.
Yes, I've read something of the level horizon problem, with using the latest software update .. 15 June I think. On the P3P PRO list .. attributes .. perhaps RTF outta the box might be listed there. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on one of these puppies .. everything's already there .. mounted and wired. Also, it has the ultrasonic altitude adjusting .. for ground following going uphill. The GPS just isn't as accurate or fast enough for terrain following (even with Glonass onboard). My South road goes up about 200' in a quarter mile .. we shall see Cheers!
Jul 14, 2015, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68
Yes, I've read something of the level horizon problem, with using the latest software update .. 15 June I think. On the P3P PRO list .. attributes .. perhaps RTF outta the box might be listed there. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on one of these puppies .. everything's already there .. mounted and wired. Also, it has the ultrasonic altitude adjusting .. for ground following going uphill. The GPS just isn't as accurate or fast enough for terrain following (even with Glonass onboard). My South road goes up about 200' in a quarter mile .. we shall see Cheers!
The P3 has a TON of things on its pros list. Better range, better lens, superb app, one button landing, flight training module, wide selection of accessories, etc. etc. If they would just improve their customer relations and responsiveness, they'd be unbeatable.
Aug 07, 2015, 09:02 AM
On the chroma you can easily change the invisible fence and increase the range to 8000 feet you do the math mile wise I have taken mine out 1500 feet and 600 feet up no issue and 30 min flight time haha even if the phantom goes 2miles at 20mins flight time you better fly your ass off with no room to view the scenary
Aug 07, 2015, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxman123
On the chroma you can easily change the invisible fence and increase the range to 8000 feet you do the math mile wise I have taken mine out 1500 feet and 600 feet up no issue and 30 min flight time haha even if the phantom goes 2miles at 20mins flight time you better fly your ass off with no room to view the scenary
The issue is not that we want to fly our Chromas miles away, it is just that it has a much shorter range than the Phantom. Yes, you can now remove the limit and set it to 8000 feet but trust me, it will not get out that far. Most people struggle to get 1000 or even 800 feet with a solid, uninterrupted video connection. This means that in interference areas this range will be even less, making flying even just 500 feet out a risky task at times.

I bought a Phantom 3 and did not like it at all. But the range and connection reliability was incredible. I sent it back and have since bought a Chroma because I fell in love with the Chroma. But the video range absolutely sucks by comparison.
Aug 07, 2015, 09:14 AM
Id trade range for flight time 1000 feet up for half a hour well worth it I had a parrot bebop 12 minutes .phantom 20 but I am surprised your video feed is not good like I said I took this thing 1500 feet up with no video lag
Aug 07, 2015, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Id trade range for flight time 1000 feet up for half a hour well worth it I had a parrot bebop 12 minutes .phantom 20 but I am surprised your video feed is not good like I said I took this thing 1500 feet up with no video lag
Are you really getting 30 minutes flight time with the gimbal and landing gear attached? You may be in the minority there. And you say you get no video lag? All Chromas have video lag. Somewhere in the region of 0.4 seconds is normal.

When I say range I'm not talking about straight up. That's altitude. With the Phantom I could fly over tree tops into the sunrise for 1500m, turn around and come back with no worries about losing connection. With the Chroma that's not possible without spending money on a signal boosting kit, modding the TX, voiding the warranty and making the TX ugly and more difficult to transport. But I still prefer the Chroma big time for lots of other reasons than range. I just wish the range wasn't so limited and the lag was shorter. That's all I am disappointed with in the Chroma.
Aug 07, 2015, 10:05 AM
Sorry my reply took awhile I went to try the chroma since I just changed its invisible fence I went outside clouds everywhere 8 satelittes travveled at 200 feet up went a distance of 2150 feet with no distortion or anything different then if it was right next to me before hitting the home button because I got scared with only I satellites and cloudy and yes landing gear I clicked 29 mins on charged battery and I used it tell it forced me to land
Aug 07, 2015, 10:13 AM
The only issue I have come across is if you forget to raise the satellite antenna on the chroma and start the motors it goes bet crazy
Aug 08, 2015, 10:21 AM
NY & CA
Quote:

I bought a Phantom 3 and did not like it at all. But the range and connection reliability was incredible. I sent it back and have since bought a Chroma because I fell in love with the Chroma. But the video range absolutely sucks by comparison.
I have the Q500 and the Phantom 3. I Iike them both but I am starting to get frustrated by the Q's video lag and range even when flying LOS. I am curious why you did not like the Phantom. The only thing that I do not like about it is the Pilot app freezes on Android but I have been using Litchee and Ultimate Flight for flying and they have little to no lag. Litchee is the more solid of the two at present, and I am running on a very loaded Samsung Galaxy S5.
Aug 08, 2015, 10:36 AM
Critic at Large
I'm starting to worry a bit about the Chroma reliability - our own reviewer had a major "unexplained event" which caused a major crash and almost total destruction. There have been enough such accidents reported on the Chroma thread here to have some concern - especially since the numbers sold are very small.

No quads are perfect but when experienced pilots and techies have major "events", it does cause some concerns.

We are still recommending the Chroma as one of the quads which works well - but that's subject to change if more folks have these events and they are not easily explained. It would be great to have all this stuff under the bridge by the Holiday Season so that new quad buyers can count on reasonable reliability.
Aug 08, 2015, 10:37 AM
Critic at Large
Quote:
The only issue I have come across is if you forget to raise the satellite antenna on the chroma and start the motors it goes bet crazy
Can you explain this more carefully?
Aug 08, 2015, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crash
I am curious why you did not like the Phantom. .
-I didn't like not having a built in screen. Having to click my phone in and have it wobbling on that holder with a cable dangling around was cumbersome. And the balance felt weird and top heavy. The Pilot app combined with sunlight made my iPhone 6 overheat and shut down mid-flight. I didn't like having to rely on another piece of hardware (phone) and a cable to keep a secure data link. And the TX didn't charge my phone so flying meant draining my phone's battery.

-I didn't like having to put it in the fridge to calibrate. And after power up it took forever to warm up and let me actually fly.

- DJI's customer service was either irrelevant automated responses or nothing at all. At one point they literally sent me in circles. One department would send me to another, who would just send me back to the other. And round and round I'd go for a week, finally getting no help at all. And live chat would just close the conversation before even taking my enquiry.

-Even though I had been flying quads for years I was nervous flying the P3 because I knew if I broke anything it would have to go away for months due to the non user serviceable design and slow to non-existent customer support.

-I didn't like the look. It just seems so dated and ugly to me. It's the same old X with boxes stuck on the underside that it's been for years.

-It's a Phantom. And everyone recognises Phantoms now as those awful privacy invading child killing drones from the TV.

-I didn't like how it felt when I flew it. It felt like I was flying this over-automated square box around. I'm not only into AP, but have loved the 'flying and aircraft' aspect of RC for 15 years and this felt too stiff, too computer guided.

-The landing gear and gimbal were not removable. The Chroma lets me fly like an ordinary RC aircraft when I'm not doing AP.

-Forced no fly zones. What I'm at my friend's house who lives near an airport and I need to do some pre-flight low altitude tests in the yard before we head out to do some flying elsewhere.

- It was loud. I could still hear it even when it was so far that I could barely see it.
Aug 08, 2015, 11:47 AM
NY & CA
Quote:
-I didn't like not having a built in screen. Having to click my phone in and have it wobbling on that holder with a cable dangling around was cumbersome. And the balance felt weird and top heavy. The Pilot app combined with sunlight made my iPhone 6 overheat and shut down mid-flight. I didn't like having to rely on another piece of hardware (phone) and a cable to keep a secure data link. And the TX didn't charge my phone so flying meant draining my phone's battery.

-I didn't like having to put it in the fridge to calibrate. And after power up it took forever to warm up and let me actually fly.

- DJI's customer service was either irrelevant automated responses or nothing at all. At one point they literally sent me in circles. One department would send me to another, who would just send me back to the other. And round and round I'd go for a week, finally getting no help at all. And live chat would just close the conversation before even taking my enquiry.

-Even though I had been flying quads for years I was nervous flying the P3 because I knew if I broke anything it would have to go away for months due to the non user serviceable design and slow to non-existent customer support.

-I didn't like the look. It just seems so dated and ugly to me. It's the same old X with boxes stuck on the underside that it's been for years.

-It's a Phantom. And everyone recognises Phantoms now as those awful privacy invading child killing drones from the TV.

-I didn't like how it felt when I flew it. It felt like I was flying this over-automated square box around. I'm not only into AP, but have loved the 'flying and aircraft' aspect of RC for 15 years and this felt too stiff, too computer guided.

-The landing gear and gimbal were not removable. The Chroma lets me fly like an ordinary RC aircraft when I'm not doing AP.

-Forced no fly zones. What I'm at my friend's house who lives near an airport and I need to do some pre-flight low altitude tests in the yard before we head out to do some flying elsewhere.

- It was loud. I could still hear it even when it was so far that I could barely see it.
I can't say I disagree with you about anything. I hesitated buying it for the same reasons except that I did not know how wobbly the mobile device would be on the controller. Even my phone is wobbly on it. I ordered an aluminum bracket to replace the plastic.

I actually live near a small airport. The NFZ line splits my property but I just get a warning. It still allows me to fly. I am just flying in the backyard, 20ft max, to condition the batteries.

As for noise, I was expecting it to be much louder. My friends V2 is a whiner. The P3 is better than that but I wish it sounded more like the Q.

The other things bad about the Phantom is the weak ribbon cable, and the narrow landing gear. Lousy designs that should have been corrected by now.

One other thing about the Phantom is the need to buy ND filters to eliminate jello. Not needed on the Q.

Then again, the Phantom has so many non-flying extras, like the flight logging, built-in flight replay, and the third party apps. The SDK is still s**t but the apps are getting better. I expect, at some point, that they will have a Solo-like Cable Cam. The weird thing is that I am always finding myself explaining Cable Cam to DJI phans, including the 3rd party app developers. Anyways, I have little hope that the Chroma or Q will ever get any autonomous flight features.

(BTW Craigiri, no need to respond to me, you are on my ignore)
Aug 08, 2015, 11:54 AM
This is a moot point now IMO. As a current Chroma owner A P3S would be my chioice over a Chroma for price and range.

However I put very little faith in any "unexplained events" related to the Chromas at this point. Most are most likely prop loss from the ambiguous finger tight advice they give. Or GPS interference which is more likely about environment than design (although maybe some better shielding is in order).

I will say the Chroma is a breeze to fly and very stable in the 2 basic modes and I like the portability of it. But the range sucks the video lag sucks and the camera (at least mine) sucks at taking still photos. Oh and that camera glare at the corners of the images sucks too. DJIs app and software is much better developed and includes waypoint control and point of interest.

Maybe a Chroma is a good choice if you have never flown a Quad before because it's supposedly easier to deal with Blade/Horizon and get parts. Of course the manuals are not even complete and not all parts are available.
Aug 08, 2015, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crash
I can't say I disagree with you about anything. I hesitated buying it for the same reasons except that I did not know how wobbly the mobile device would be on the controller. Even my phone is wobbly on it. I ordered an aluminum bracket to replace the plastic.

I actually live near a small airport. The NFZ line splits my property but I just get a warning. It still allows me to fly. I am just flying in the backyard, 20ft max, to condition the batteries.

As for noise, I was expecting it to be much louder. My friends V2 is a whiner. The P3 is better than that but I wish it sounded more like the Q.

The other things bad about the Phantom is the weak ribbon cable, and the narrow landing gear. Lousy designs that should have been corrected by now.

One other thing about the Phantom is the need to buy ND filters to eliminate jello. Not needed on the Q.

Then again, the Phantom has so many non-flying extras, like the flight logging, built-in flight replay, and the third party apps. The SDK is still s**t but the apps are getting better. I expect, at some point, that they will have a Solo-like Cable Cam. The weird thing is that I am always finding myself explaining Cable Cam to DJI phans, including the 3rd party app developers. Anyways, I have little hope that the Chroma or Q will ever get any autonomous flight features.

(BTW Craigiri, no need to respond to me, you are on my ignore)
Yeah you mentioned some good points that I forgot from my list. I'm not at all interested in autonomous flight and I don't understand people who are but I respect it if it's enjoyable for them.

My favourite thing about the Chroma is being able to remove the gimbal and landing gear or easily upgrade the camera just by snapping the late version into place. That's fantastic. But the camera quality, lag and transmission range are rubbish compared to the Phantom. If Blade can match Light bridge on a future Chroma it will be a perfect machine for me.
Aug 08, 2015, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjack
Oh and that camera glare at the corners of the images sucks too.
Yes I'm seeing this in so many videos now. A major flaw in something that's designed to shoot video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjack
Maybe a Chroma is a good choice if you have never flown a Quad before because it's supposedly easier to deal with Blade/Horizon and get parts. Of course the manuals are not even complete and not all parts are available.
I've flown lots of quads over the last few years and I much prefer the Chroma over the Phantom. The Phantom is the most popular choice for people who have never flown anything before.

If you think it's hard getting parts for the Chroma try getting parts for he Phantom. Try replacing an ESC on the Phantom and then tell me the Chroma is not well supported for parts haha.
Aug 08, 2015, 12:24 PM
The part about beginners was related to parts and service. Better to have Horizons support and parts available to a beginner whose chances of crashing are increased. There still aren't some parts available but I myself have replaced a main board on my Chroma from a pool water interaction testing flotation device for the Chroma.
Aug 08, 2015, 12:42 PM
2is
2is
As a new P3 owner and someone who's new to RC flying in general, running across this thread peaked my interest. Then I read the Chroma has 1/10 the range and that alone was enough for me to know I chose wisely.

While I probably haven't went far enough with my P3 for that to be an issue with the Chroma, knowing I have a nice buffer inspires confidence over nervousness. Nervousness in a beginner can cause panic which often times causes you to make decisions that aren't very well thought out.

I will say however, the Chroma looks a lot cooler, I am a bit jealous in that regard. The Gimbal/Camera look to be more aero friendly on the Chroma too.