This thread is privately moderated by RPinCA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:19 AM
Trader Rating: 8
Thread OP
$1.00 USD
Buyer pays shipping
Wanted

Canopy for Ultegra DLG? Or sell without canopy

I just bought an Ultegra, the one I posted in "Name this DLG." It doesn't have a canopy. If anyone has one, I would like to buy it.

OTOH if anyone wants to buy an Ultegra with no canopy in very good condition for $430, I'll sell it. Local, please, or shipping will need to include $20 packaging since I don't have a good box. My packing is always first-rate (like Lenny's), check the buyer feedback.

Good plane, flies well, just that I'm bummed not having the canopy and Skip Miller has no idea when parts may arrive.

Thanks for reading, happy flying to all.
Last edited by RPinCA; Jun 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added photo
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2015, 12:29 PM
Trader Rating: 101
Wayne Wimbish
Your best bet may be to layup another canopy over the outside of the fuselage at a place that has the desired radius. One layer of 4oz glass ought to do the trick. Waiting on SSM may be unproductive and frustrating. There are probably many in your area that could assist you.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jun 29, 2015, 01:57 PM
Trader Rating: 68
Camber down and screw it up.
That looks like a really easy canopy to make. As Wayne says, just lay it up over the other side of the fuselage, use mold release or even Saran wrap and use one or two layers of light cloth. Piece of cake if you've done any fiberglass work at all.

--
Greg
Jun 29, 2015, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Thank you both. I have not done fiberglass work before, but I'm always ready to learn new skills.

If someone comes across this with an original canopy, please still contact me by PM. Life is a bit busy right now.
Jul 02, 2015, 10:33 AM
Trader Rating: 228
Old newb
Do the old fashion way.

Make a wood form.

Heat some plastic sheet.

Trim to fit.

Down the road you go.....

FYI Recylce plastic from some food or fruit or whatever box. I keep saving that stuff and the wife keeps tossing it.......
Jul 02, 2015, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Recycle plastic from some food or fruit or whatever box. I keep saving that stuff and the wife keeps tossing it.......
: ) "Conflict of interests"

@r39o, thanks for another alternative. You make it sound so simple!

@botulism, I saw you selling a small store's inventory of planes the other day, and wondered if R/C had lost its place in your life. Nice to see your post here!

@wdwimbish, my friend found the canopy! Somehow, all things have come together in goodness.

Even without the canopy, the plane was delightful to fly. I'm not sure how I did it, but somehow the epoxy bead that anchors an aileron servo came off, bringing a sudden end to my first day with the Ultegra. I have some JB Weld and Vaseline, and have opened the patient for a little surgery. This is something I can handle (with an Optivisor).

Let me offer my sincere thanks to this group of people who have never met, yet are so willing to help each other! I know that someday all of this advice will find its way into a repair I couldn't have done otherwise.
Last edited by RPinCA; Jul 02, 2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply