This thread is privately moderated by Aros.MotionRC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 29, 2015, 01:24 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
Discussion

LX B-25 Mitchell Maiden

(Posted in the build thread...)

Alright boys be gentle. I am reaaaally late to the party but I have wanted this bird ever since I saw Pete's video of her. I finally pulled the trigger today when I saw one on consignment at my LHS. Brand new, never been flown, ready to go minus battery and rx. I finagled the price down a bit so I will be picking her up tomorrow.

I would be so appreciative if someone could give me some "Quick Hits", basically a quick overall synopsis on what to look for, what to watch out for, tips and tricks, the usual goody bag. Good etiquette in turn requires that I also spend the time to read through the thread which I promise to do over the weekend.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get this big girl in the skies!

(Fast forward...)

Maiden success!

My battery was too light (5S 4000) so I had to add some weight to the firewall area for CG. I was going to film from the H Stab but I needed all the weight I could get towards the front so I put it inside the canopy. It would have been pretty cool but the tape gave shortly after takeoff. I decided to splice together what I could for maximum enjoyment.

The battery was a bit puffed after the 4 minute sortie so I will definitely be going for a 5S 5000+ LiPo moving forward. Flew great after trimming. Flaps had too much down trim in so I will have to change that and try again next flight.

Going to paint her up soon. Most likely Georgie's Gal. Love the yellow trim with OD.

Maiden of the LX B-25 Mitchell. Pilot Shot After Takeoff! (3 min 12 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2015, 01:25 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
I've started the detail work...Painted the cowl edges yellow and the dummy radials to look more scale...
Aug 24, 2015, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros
(Posted in the build thread...)

Alright boys be gentle. I am reaaaally late to the party but I have wanted this bird ever since I saw Pete's video of her. I finally pulled the trigger today when I saw one on consignment at my LHS. Brand new, never been flown, ready to go minus battery and rx. I finagled the price down a bit so I will be picking her up tomorrow.

I would be so appreciative if someone could give me some "Quick Hits", basically a quick overall synopsis on what to look for, what to watch out for, tips and tricks, the usual goody bag. Good etiquette in turn requires that I also spend the time to read through the thread which I promise to do over the weekend.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get this big girl in the skies!

(Fast forward...)

Maiden success!

My battery was too light (5S 4000) so I had to add some weight to the firewall area for CG. I was going to film from the H Stab but I needed all the weight I could get towards the front so I put it inside the canopy. It would have been pretty cool but the tape gave shortly after takeoff. I decided to splice together what I could for maximum enjoyment.

The battery was a bit puffed after the 4 minute sortie so I will definitely be going for a 5S 5000+ LiPo moving forward. Flew great after trimming. Flaps had too much down trim in so I will have to change that and try again next flight.

Going to paint her up soon. Most likely Georgie's Gal. Love the yellow trim with OD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFPUQKi69Q
Hello Aros! I was REALLY happy to see that you got this! I've been wanting it forever as well!!
So can you give me some insight? Good, bad, medium? Build stuff? Any key mods?
Thanks!
Whirly
Aug 24, 2015, 10:40 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
Hey Whirly! Well so far so good. Been flying her bone stock. A bit sluggish but doesn't bother me too much being that you expect a B-25 to be a bit sluggish in the air. I went with the power upgrade that has been recommended (Tacon 25's, FMS 1400mm F6F props) but have yet to install it. Still trying to figure out what ESCs to put in it (the Tacon 25' motor wires are as thin as a coffee stir stick where any ESC over 75A will have a larger gauge) but I am in no rush.

No bad habits, looks SWEET in the air! This is LX so I anticipate trouble with the gear at some point even if my landings are decent. I've only flown her 6 or 7 times so far so I don't have the lowdown like some would that have flown her much more. Overall, I would definitely recommend getting her!
Aug 24, 2015, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Hey Whirly! Well so far so good. Been flying her bone stock. A bit sluggish but doesn't bother me too much being that you expect a B-25 to be a bit sluggish in the air. I went with the power upgrade that has been recommended (Tacon 25's, FMS 1400mm F6F props) but have yet to install it. Still trying to figure out what ESCs to put in it (the Tacon 25' motor wires are as thin as a coffee stir stick where any ESC over 75A will have a larger gauge) but I am in no rush.

No bad habits, looks SWEET in the air! This is LX so I anticipate trouble with the gear at some point even if my landings are decent. I've only flown her 6 or 7 times so far so I don't have the lowdown like some would that have flown her much more. Overall, I would definitely recommend getting her!
That's what I wanted to hear. I have HUGE worries about buying this plane due to quality, support and where I need to get it from. But I love the plane SO much and I have been looking for a large solution in foam for this and a B-17, I am willing to try if I know someone who has it. AND has a crazy attention to detail!

I have a BUNCH of 5s 5000 batts which from the sound of it are perfect. I'll look at motor upgrades just to see.
Aug 24, 2015, 11:09 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
If you figure out an ESC match for the Tacon 25's please let me know!
Aug 24, 2015, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Sure when I start looking. Are you just looking for an ESC that will work with them? What am I missing?
Aug 24, 2015, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Aros, I just re read the post. The issue is thin wires on the motors?

Also, did I see in the RCInformer vid that the wings need to be GLUED on? That's a deal breaker for me. I can transport an 80" wing assembled
Aug 24, 2015, 01:00 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
Yeah the issue is, the Tacon 25's have very thin wires. Like the gauge of a coffee stir stick. I figured out I need at least a 70-80A ESC. Well any ESC wire gauge that is over 70A is just a little smaller than a regular drinking straw. That's a big difference. So I don't know what people that have gone to the Tacon 25's are using for ESCs.

So my power upgrade system sits. This thread is all but dead so I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Yes indeed the wings do come off. A screw on each wing is all. Easy to transport!
Aug 24, 2015, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Yeah the issue is, the Tacon 25's have very thin wires. Like the gauge of a coffee stir stick. I figured out I need at least a 70-80A ESC. Well any ESC wire gauge that is over 70A is just a little smaller than a regular drinking straw. That's a big difference. So I don't know what people that have gone to the Tacon 25's are using for ESCs.

So my power upgrade system sits. This thread is all but dead so I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Yes indeed the wings do come off. A screw on each wing is all. Easy to transport!
Awesome answer on the wings! Thanks.
Ok. So it sounds like you are talking about the difference between something like 12ga wire and 16 ga wire. Yeah. Big difference.

My approach would be to get a Tacon going with the battery and prop you want. Check the amps and watts. If it is not crazy, (I am betting not) then you may be ok. Just a guess, but under 65a and you may be ok. Did you do a test and you found out you are pulling 70+ amps?

Another approach is to look at the max amp rating on the motor. I have to believe that the folks at Tacon would not put a wire too small on their motor. So if you don't exceed the burst, you are probably ok. Find out what the max amp rating is on 16, 14 and 12 ga wires. Figure out what the motor has.

At the very least, this will give you parameters to work within and it is easy to figure out.
Aug 24, 2015, 01:36 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
Yeah thanks...I will have to do my homework. No tests, talking to Daviac we surmised 100A was overkill for this power setup, that somewhere around 70-80 seemed more likely. Definitely will test it out for sure.
Aug 24, 2015, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Yeah thanks...I will have to do my homework. No tests, talking to Daviac we surmised 100A was overkill for this power setup, that somewhere around 70-80 seemed more likely. Definitely will test it out for sure.
My P38 is pulling 72a...for reference...I am guessing yours is near that also.
Aug 24, 2015, 02:24 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
Yeah pretty much the same. I think we are pulling around mid 70's on the P-38. Been flying her lately?
Aug 24, 2015, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Yeah pretty much the same. I think we are pulling around mid 70's on the P-38. Been flying her lately?
Yep! last week was #9. in two weeks my club is having a MASSIVE big bird event. Biggest in South?Central Tx we think. Right now, honey Bunny is going through a finishing makeover. I have just received 2 new turbo covers from James and finished the beginning of repainting them a few minutes ago.
Next is to paint the tips of the rudders red. Final nose bling has been ordered from Tru turn which I expect next week. Guns will get mounted this week also.

If you have not seen the video on the event I put here, check out my YT channel. There is also a longer vid that talks about my club and has some fantastic footage of multiple 4 engine warbirds flying in formation.
This event, we expect at least 3 B17s with 148" wings and a 148" B24 all flying together.
The cover planes are P51s.

We have another club member that just maidened his VQ over the weekend, He's flying glow. There may be some formation flying with P38s also. We'll see.
Aug 24, 2015, 03:03 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thread OP
Sweet!

Quick Reply