This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 28, 2015, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Falcon 9 failure coverage

After waking up expecting to see another rocket barely miss a barge or delayed launch, was surprised to see it exploded during liftoff. Of the 3 camera angles, the best one came from NASA TV, then was rereleased with banner ads & annotations.

Falcon 9 explosion from 3 cameras (1 min 13 sec)

The 2nd stage oxygen tank was the scene of many launch delays. Stuck valves, leaky pipes abounded. Not surprising that it finally blew up, probably from a stuck valve.

It's now been 2 consecutive failures in reaching the space station. The last successful mission was April 14. The Soyuz on April 28 failed. The last Cygnus attempt failed on Oct 28, 2014. Only 4 of the last 7 missions made it. The chance of reaching Mars has been better than reaching the space station.

The increasing rate of failures as rocket companies reach ever higher valuations makes you wonder when something has to work to be worth $10 billion & when it just has to be worth $10 billion to prevent a recession.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Jun 28, 2015 at 06:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2015, 11:06 PM
Not sure where you are going with the costs... When you experience what goes into space development, the costs (at least SpaceX costs) become imagineable. Now ULA on the other hand is just government hand outs.

That being said, I don't entirely agree that it was a 2nd stage lox valve failure. However I do believe there was a failure near the second stage. As I always do, it as watching the live feed. This is the picture I captured right after the explosion. I noticed a small flame near the interstage section. This isn't to say it's the cause, but it sure seems like it is a possibility. A stray flame from an upper stage is never a good sign.

Quick Reply