Jun 28, 2015, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How to make your 10 year old bike feel 20 years old....

I finally got my R1M! Been waiting for 4 months, came within a week of canceling my order.

The old girl,.... not sure what to do with her. Glue factory or Street Fighter treatment? We need a 2-up bike that still hauls ass, i could sell it and save a few grand and have a paid for FZ-09...

Jun 28, 2015, 12:53 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Street fighter, or zombie bike!!

Mad max it!!
Jun 28, 2015, 01:20 PM
Michael Dunlop swapped his for a BMW
Jun 28, 2015, 01:29 PM
Sell it. The new bikes are so much better, soon it will feel like a 40 year old bike.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
Michael Dunlop swapped his for a BMW
Yah, and how did that work out for him?

Meanwhile, Yamaha is wiping the floor with EVERYONE with the new R1 over here in the USA.. and winning just about every magazine test out there. I'm not just a proud owner talking here-when I say this bike is a big step forward for sport bikes, it really is. It is bike #14 for me, and I have done the track day/race school thing. This bike absolutely slays corners and makes it feel unhurried and easy. The electronics are very transparent and work exactly like they are supposed to. BMW really can't compare here, this is next gen stuff.

I got to ride and S1000RR last week, it felt like a VFR with a GSXR engine in it. Not bad, but completely different than I thought it would be. It fell into corners in a way that was unnerving at low speed and took considerable bar pressure to hold a line. I'd never own one in their current state-not hard core enough for me and the build quality shows how much of it was made and assembled in China.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob
Sell it. The new bikes are so much better, soon it will feel like a 40 year old bike.
I'm leaning that way. If I dilly about and wait until next year it will be 11years old.
Jun 29, 2015, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Yah, and how did that work out for him?

Meanwhile, Yamaha is wiping the floor with EVERYONE with the new R1 over here in the USA.. and winning just about every magazine test out there. I'm not just a proud owner talking here-when I say this bike is a big step forward for sport bikes, it really is. It is bike #14 for me, and I have done the track day/race school thing. This bike absolutely slays corners and makes it feel unhurried and easy. The electronics are very transparent and work exactly like they are supposed to. BMW really can't compare here, this is next gen stuff.

I got to ride and S1000RR last week, it felt like a VFR with a GSXR engine in it. Not bad, but completely different than I thought it would be. It fell into corners in a way that was unnerving at low speed and took considerable bar pressure to hold a line. I'd never own one in their current state-not hard core enough for me and the build quality shows how much of it was made and assembled in China.
It worked out very well for him - he knocked off a 132 lap with it - only one of five to have done so - he had a bad TT but not his fault- that was down to injury!

THE sports bike of the moment however (for the road) is the Aprillia but lets be frank - they are all good and far better than the riders that purchase them!

Tyres and particularly tyre pressures can transform that nosing into slow bends feel btw - back to build quality - BMW or Aprillia again - even Honda doesn't compete with those two!

Oh - magazine tests - I used to do a lot of these - read between the lines - it helps!
Jun 29, 2015, 09:14 AM
Not THAT Ira
I'd just keep and enjoy that and spend my money on something else.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
It worked out very well for him - he knocked off a 132 lap with it - only one of five to have done so - he had a bad TT but not his fault- that was down to injury!

THE sports bike of the moment however (for the road) is the Aprillia but lets be frank - they are all good and far better than the riders that purchase them!

Tyres and particularly tyre pressures can transform that nosing into slow bends feel btw - back to build quality - BMW or Aprillia again - even Honda doesn't compete with those two!

Oh - magazine tests - I used to do a lot of these - read between the lines - it helps!
Most of the USA is underserved by Aprillia, I live in what is probably their #2 market in the country and we don't have a dealer within 3 hours. A few have come and gone, but that was before the RSV4 was released. Apparently Aprilia is a very difficult company to deal with and their support for dealers and warranty support for customers is very poor. I was close to buying an SXV-550 and got tired of waiting for all the problems people were/are having to get sorted out. A lot of guys got burned with that bike and they would have been good customers to keep because ALL of them were new to the brand with that bike. I'll buy one used someday when I feel like I need relief from hitting my thumb with a hammer. When I looked in to a V4 Tuono, the closest dealer in Ohio couldn't get them and this was a year after they launched.

Lastly, I've done the boutique Italian brand thing and was pretty put off by my experience with Bimota. even a Ducati is a hard sell for me because you never know when they'll be run into the ground again and you'll be waiting a month for a throttle cable during the best riding months of the year.

I'm not convinced that the BMW is the top of the heap. It makes good power in stock form, but what you aren't saying about the bikes at the TT is that they are getting a level of factory support that the dealer based teams are not. BMW is putting a lot of money and technical support out there for this bike and it shows.

I'll bet you a pint that an R1 will win a TT in the next two years-maybe three. luck has a lot to do with it, ask Guy Martin.

Oh, magazine tests: when I want a good sports bike review I go to RoadRacing World. These guys are no-*#+ racers and they don't pull punches for anyone. The reviews are almost entirely track biased-that's how you find out things like the S1000RR having brake fade problems on the stock bike that were present at the track launch as well as the supplied test bike while every other magazine out there is whistling quietly about it.

I've done magazine reviews too.
Jun 29, 2015, 03:34 PM
Luck - yep poor old Guy Martin - he now has a whopping 15 podiums and still not a win - he's going to be another Stirling Moss I reckon - the best TT Rider never to win one.

The Yamaha has enjoyed rave reviews here in the UK too so why Dunlop's TT machine was so unsorted is probably down to the team, yet this was a very experienced team, so that again flips back to the bike. The BMW was 'out of the crate' allegedly, (whatever that really means in racing parlance)!

Shame that Aprillia is so poorly represented your side of the pond - the new Aprillia has just been declared 'the ultimate' in Motorcycle News, just a couple of weeks after the Yamaha was declared 'the ultimate' so there you have it - or not :-)

Back to the TT - Senior won by John Mac again and on a very old and 'slow' Fireblade - albeit a well sorted one.

Sports bikes are getting faster, but interestingly, easier to ride!
Jun 29, 2015, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Hard to say who's at the top of the heap this year, Ducati and Aprilia both literally missed the boat with their bike releases not working with magazine schedules. The press launch for the Aprillia makes it sound like its a much improved bike, but even with the ten hp they found in the engine it still won't be fast for the class. I'd love to have a smaller bike like the RSV4, this R1M is tippy toe tall.

As for Dunlop's R1, I suspect it was just too late getting to the teams to develop them. It's not like they tune a TT bike for max power, so chassis setup and aftermarket support for suspension etc, was likely the issue. even today you can't buy a cartridge kit for the stock KYB forks.
Jun 29, 2015, 05:32 PM
Give the guy a break, I'd be happy to own either of the two bikes he's got in his shed... Along with the clapped out TZR250 (1986 2MA), TZ250 (1993 4DP) and GL1500SE (1999) I already have.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
Love me some 2 strokes.... You can't see it in the garage, but there is a big bore NSR-80 in the back getting a carb clean as well as my KLR650, her '88 Hawk, and her MSX125 Grom.
Jun 30, 2015, 02:54 AM
No such thing as a bad bike - just bikes - good bikes and great bikes

200 BHP on the road is a rush but in some ways, less can be more - I really enjoy the middleweights or even smaller bikes that you can wring out hard without reaching warp speeds
Jun 30, 2015, 05:41 AM
Thread OP
That's the nice thing about the electronics on the new bikes, you can relax (a bit) more and concentrate on riding the bike without that feeling like you are riding with the pin in on hand and the grenade in the other.

Went on a group ride on Sunday with my retired engineer/former roadracer buddies and loved the safety net on an unfamiliar bike on unfamiliar roads out in the country. Full throttle over a hill while cranked over? No problem, the wheelie control sorts out the front end, traction control makes sure the rear doesn't go pear shaped if the bike gets too light on the wheel. Front floats horizontally all the way down and the electronic steering damper takes care of the wiggle when the front rests on the pavement again. Makes a guy feel like he's Jorge, without feeling like something is holding you back.

Pure magic, can't wait to do a track day and have the bike setting it's own corner by corner suspension settings on slicks with the GPS... It's hard to imagine what that will feel like given how competent the automatic settings are in the street tire/street speeds setting.
Last edited by Dave Campbell; Jun 30, 2015 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Trying to post while she's getting surgery, getting interrupted a lot.

Quick Reply