Hobbyking BAT-1 Land Yacht - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jul 07, 2015, 05:09 PM

First Impressions

I received one of the Batt1 Land yachts the other day and finally got it out yesterday
I will do a quick review of the assembly first. I am sure most of this has been covered by other contributors. There is plenty of video footage on You Tube.
To split the hull and deck you will need to cut through the green sticker along each side forward of the mast step and undo the screws underneath. Some of them will stay in place but be careful as one of mine dropped out on to the floor and took some time to find.
The next and only difficult thing to attach was the s/s clevis pin to the steering arm. First attempt, the pin fell out and second attempt one of the side plates broke off. Luckily I had a spare for an old plane that was lying around. Be very careful when attaching this. I suggest that this is the very last thing to assemble. Trust me.

I have used a 6.6V LIFE as a power supply and a RX with my i6 Radio. Both were attached inside the hull with Velcro. There is plenty of room to run your aerial to the front of the hull under the servo cable. Everything was put back together in just over 5 minutes.
I did have some difficulty with the tack collars on the mainsail where they join the boom and mast, problems of fat fingers. Looking at the mainsheet exit hole on the boom I realised that it had a very sharp edge to it, which I removed with a small rat tail file. With the constant flogging the main sheet gets it would have not lasted. I may install a small fairlead to stop it fraying
So the rig is in, rear wheels attached and the mainsheet connected, you can now attach the front steering bracket and wheel.

My observations so far. The turning circle of the front wheel seems limited and there is a fair amount of friction in its operation. It appears to turn more to port than starboard. Working the opposite way to the rudder on my DF I have had to reverse the servo to maintain continuity between crafts for bearing away and luffing up.

The distance the boom travels is quite small, about 10cm, but because of its speed, the apparent wind angle will always be a lot further forward than one would think. No downwind running with this yacht.

So, first impressions, great value, easy to assemble, maybe the start of a one design racing land yacht.

All I need now is a car park with plenty of wind or the local netball courts.

You can see where they have saved money in production costs by not having any gooseneck or kicker arrangement. Maybe you wont need one. But as not having sailed a land yacht my thinking may have to change. I think I may make up one from some old DF rigs and parts I have lying around. I also think that it would be nice to be able to adjust the foot a little for better sail shape.

Some photos of the completed kit are attached. and a video will follow which were taken during its maiden sail. No its not a rear wing for down force but a bracket I made up for my Mobius camera. As soon as I have edited the footage I will post it. While sailing it was too difficult to video, two hands on the sticks at all times.

Well, it is quick and accelerates with the slightest breeze. Steering was too violent for my liking, so I think a dual rate switch on your radio would be an advantage.

Gust response requires constant concentration, a bit like sailing a 12ft Skiff, flinch and you take a swim. I sailed with both the home made rig and supplied and found no difference in performance, bear in mind there was little wind and when there was I had Thomas and his younger brother chasing the Batt1 on their scooters. .

So next outing will include some longer runs and a second Batt1 to race
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2015, 05:33 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
For some history on this land sailor and just a little more info check out this web site.

http://www.modellandyachts.com
Jul 07, 2015, 10:32 PM
I made a couple of quick modifications to my Bat-1; I've replaced the servos with Savx SC-252 MGs (a bit over kill, but they are powerful and pretty fast).

To solve the friction in the steering I drilled out the steering axle to 8mm diameter and put 2 flanged bearings at the top and the bottom (8mm with a 9mm flange). Now the wheel flops around freely and feels much smoother.

I also filed out the slot in the front of the hull a little. The steering rod is at a slight angle and was pinching the rod a little.

I also have some plans to add a boom vang to the sail... but that's waiting on parts (which might not fit!) so I'll post back if I have success

P.S. I agree that the steering is a little 'quick' - I solved that by adding some expo from the Tx. I like to have the wide steering throw though - when you get stuck facing the wind you can 'wobble' the model to face another direction... not very professional looking, but it saves a lot of walking
Jul 08, 2015, 01:44 AM

Rig upgrade

I made up a ball race gooseneck from a broken RG65 one and cut a new maimsail from 36micron Mylar.
I like your idea of the ball race steering post. I will give that area a bit more though before changing anything more. Here is a photo of the gooseneck and sail on the yacht.
Jul 08, 2015, 01:44 AM
Me a long time ago
Pbob22. Can you show more detail of what you made and fitted the Mobius mount?
Jul 08, 2015, 05:57 AM
Flypoppa, when I made the original video at the top of this post I used a Mobius camera mounted on the nose of the hull. To do this I simply used a bicycle handlebar mount. Nice and easy and didn't require any mods (would work for a GoPro too).

I noticed, in the HobbyKing videos, they used a couple of carbon fibre rods mounted in the holes already present at the back of the hull. Seems like a good solution too.
Jul 08, 2015, 06:39 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavsimon
Flypoppa, when I made the original video at the top of this post I used a Mobius camera mounted on the nose of the hull. To do this I simply used a bicycle handlebar mount. Nice and easy and didn't require any mods (would work for a GoPro too).

I noticed, in the HobbyKing videos, they used a couple of carbon fibre rods mounted in the holes already present at the back of the hull. Seems like a good solution too.
Thanks for the ideas. I have some bike handlebar brackets that I will sort out. I am toying with the idea of FPV for it.
I shall go 'skip dipping' for suitable plastic later if I can't find any thing suitable.
Ah! I just remembered, I have loads of gutter.
In your build video I also did not glue the mast, I just used tape. Because all my CA had gone off (hard) even a couple of unused pots that I have had for a while.
Velcro is your friend.
Jul 08, 2015, 02:32 PM
Me a long time ago
Nice and windy today. So I took the Bat onto the field rear of my home. It went well on the cricket pitches, also on the grass of the field that was cut this morning.
Obviously not as good as Tarmac.
I think that some work needs to done on the 'Bat'. Such as Goose neck, maybe a kicking strap.
I have made a rear Mobius mount. Simple piece of ally. Removable when not in use.
Jul 08, 2015, 04:01 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Nice to not have to worry about leaks!

BP
Jul 08, 2015, 07:41 PM

Mobius Bracket

FLYPOPPA
I cut out a pattern from a small sheet of .5mm alloy and bent it into shape with my fingers. Camera is secured with a cable tie and some velcro . The bracket was then attached to the hull with heavy duty sticky tape. The bracket will also fit on the nose for backward facing footage.
Jul 09, 2015, 02:51 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbob22
FLYPOPPA
I cut out a pattern from a small sheet of .5mm alloy and bent it into shape with my fingers. Camera is secured with a cable tie and some velcro . The bracket was then attached to the hull with heavy duty sticky tape. The bracket will also fit on the nose for backward facing footage.
Thanks. Yet another good idea.
It's is a question of what's available to do these mods. I notice that with Velcro on the base of the Mobius, it will not fit into the slide holder.
Jul 09, 2015, 06:52 AM
Me a long time ago
Yet another mod, a goose neck made from scrap plastic. Also done away with the cable tie, the 'string' also acts as a wind direction indicator.
(I must get a life).
Jul 11, 2015, 01:08 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
I see your smart phone attached underneath the Mobius in this pic:
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...7-IMG_0706.JPG

Are you using this for GPS speed measurements?
Why not use if for video as well?
Then there is no need for the Mobius.
Jul 11, 2015, 02:49 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Methinks it it there to support the Mobius for the picture.
BP
Jul 11, 2015, 05:55 PM

Servo mounting is not clear!

I picked up a pair of these last week. I'm now working on build #1.

I got the kit version because I have lots of servos/radio equipment lying around. I have reached the servo mounting phase which is not clear. There are no holes for standard servo mounting, just a clamp-like piece which is way too big to hold the servos. From the Savox transplant photos here, (thanks BTW!) it appears that these servos need to be clamped down using xome sort of foam to fill in the excess space?

Not impressed with the servo mount design! (everything else looks pretty top notch)

Can anyone shed some light on proper servo mounting technique?

Note that I have no land yacht and very little sailing experience but I do have 34 years of riding wind and thermals in hang gliders, so I do know the wind pretty well. Look forward to relaxing fun racing these with my buddy (and may take go FPV).

Cheers,
Jeff Roberson

p.s. Thanks to the uavsimon for the review and (excellent) helpful videos!
Last edited by ridgerunr; Jul 11, 2015 at 08:28 PM.