Hobbyking BAT-1 Land Yacht - RC Groups
Jun 27, 2015, 11:42 PM
New Product

Hobbyking BAT-1 Land Yacht

Hard to say if this should be in sailing boats or cars... but if you're like me and enjoy both then there is a new model you should check out. Hobbyking are releasing a land yacht called the BAT-1; It's surprising how much fun it is to pilot!

I've put together a couple of videos; one reviewing the model and showing its assembly and another of me just racing around having fun

HobbyKing BAT-1 Land Yacht - Assembly and review (8 min 12 sec)

HobbyKing BAT-1 Land Yacht - Racing in Sweden (5 min 17 sec)

/Simon
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2015, 08:47 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
That looks interesting.
I see a ton of twist in the sail.
You can see the boom lifting in the gusts. It needs a kicker.

It would be interesting to build one with a DF65 rig one it.
Jun 28, 2015, 11:08 AM
I am seeing that the front of the boom isn't connected - or isn't staying connected to the trailing side of the mast. In early minutes of sailing with camera facing toward rear, it looked like the sail came loose, or wast connected to the mast.

I think either/both of these issues would have impact on controlling the sail, it's luff and also any twist.

Of course just basing on what I saw in the video. Boom off mast is very apparent when the yacht tips on it's side as it lays on the ground.
Jun 28, 2015, 12:37 PM
The boom and mast are connected by a couple of small plastic loops; so there is some play. On the bright-side it makes for a really simple build. You could easily modify it with a boom vang, but I'm not sure you'd get much more speed given the size of the model.

I took it out again today in 5(8 gust) m/sec winds and it had plenty of speed. Much more and it would be taking off
Jun 28, 2015, 12:49 PM
I don't know much about sailcars but I like this model , thanks for sparking up my interest.
Jun 28, 2015, 01:04 PM
I looked up HobbyKing's website and I can't find the Bat 1 land yacht is there another place to buy from ? Thanks Mike g.
Jun 28, 2015, 01:12 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Not released yet, they are having a contest to identify it from a partial picture.
BP
Jun 28, 2015, 01:13 PM
The one I have is a 'pre-release' of sorts It will be available for sale shortly (next couple of weeks I think) - I'm not affiliated with HobbyKing in any way, so I can't be any more exact.
Jun 29, 2015, 09:04 AM
Cool...and no retrieval boat required!
Jun 30, 2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info
Jul 01, 2015, 01:23 AM

HobbyKing Bat 1 RC Land Yacht

Hey guys just saw this listed on HK, bit of an issue as I was going to build one of my own until I tripped over your thread and great reviews. They've got a kit, ARR, and PNP version in all warehouses, looks like a no - brainer for me, get the ARR and have more time to build my next sailing yacht lol .

Great video on youtube as well
Bat 1 Land Yacht - Product Profile (6 min 51 sec)

HobbyKing Bat 1 RC Land Yacht - HobbyKing Product Video (1 min 47 sec)
Last edited by Maximuss Actual; Jul 02, 2015 at 02:46 AM.
Jul 01, 2015, 01:44 AM
Taking care of the pond.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...+RC+Land+Yacht
Jul 01, 2015, 10:07 AM
I'm on it !
Jul 01, 2015, 10:54 AM
The last video link may have been moved/changed, but I saw it and was hoping for more than the lightning fast cuts that don't show the model working for more than a second or two at a time.
Jul 01, 2015, 10:19 PM

RE Bat 1 Videos

There is a bette,r longer video at the top of this thread (second video) showing a lot of detailed footage on how the model operates.