Jun 24, 2015, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Question

Help me identify this old boat!

Hi Guys,

I've recently got back in to the hobby, my uncle got me this as a gift 15-17 years ago and it was used at the time. I think he had a friend restore it for me and bought a new Acoms radio to make it work. It's got a Graupner Speed 500 BB motor in it.

I recently grabbed a new 3300mAh battery off amazon and decided to give it a shot again. It's fun but I think I blew up the speed controller tonight.I think it may have got splashed with water and now smells like something burnt.

I'm going to play around with it tomorrow and see what the deal is, but any information to get me pointed in the right direction would be awesome!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2015, 10:45 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Graupner ECO SPEED?

You could get a new Mtroniks ESC and the BEC on the speed control will allow you
to eliminate the four AA cells for the reciever, and lighten the boat a little.
Jun 25, 2015, 01:15 PM
That type of "mechanical" speed control, is pretty hard to kill, unless you overload it, or wear it out. And you will know, if you overload it, as it "smokes" and/or "glows"! But, I agree with Umi, a modern ESC, with a BEC function, would be a good improvement, and the boat will run better, when it's lighter.
Jun 25, 2015, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB
That type of "mechanical" speed control, is pretty hard to kill, unless you overload it, or wear it out. And you will know, if you overload it, as it "smokes" and/or "glows"! But, I agree with Umi, a modern ESC, with a BEC function, would be a good improvement, and the boat will run better, when it's lighter.
I can't get it to work for more than a brief moment here and there. The servo still works and the connections appear to be good. The motor works when I connect it directly to the battery.

I bought a Pro Boat ESC from my local hobby store. http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB2314

It works perfectly and I'll be able to play with it again soon. I'm excited!

Thanks for the help guys. Good eye spotting that it's a graupner eco speed - the custom paint job made it hard to tell!

Quick Reply