New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by edwardjohn
Mini-Review

Volantex Ranger 757-4 - Unboxing & Review

*update : flight experience note. Flew much better without landing gear, it was very sensitive to wind with LG. Setup on 4S 1000kv 8 or 9inch was sweet, climb easily, on stock setup there's a down thrust that pushes nose down when apply high throttle.

Hey guys, am sure a lot of you are curious about this plane because it looks so smart and well designed isn't it? Various camera/gimbal type mounting option, room for autopilot, dedicated area to mount the Video Transmitter, steer-able tail on the ground and many more!

And I'm lucky to receive it today! just 10 days of shipping from Banggood!

The first time I saw it on Banggood, I felt in love instantly, and I was surprised that the price is only USD115.99 shipped! the previous version, 757-3 is doubled the price and I thought Banggood may have listed the wrong price so without hesistate, I grab it right away.

The next morning then I realized, oh this is actually the 1380mm version, not 1980mm like the 757-3 though. Oppppps

Let's unbox this and see what's good inside!

Well I'm lucky, box arrived with little dent and wasn't charged by the custom despite the huge box size, though they have opened it for inspection.
And well even the box and printing is a high quality one
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - Box .jpg
Views: 215
Size: 381.2 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - Box 2.jpg
Views: 252
Size: 247.7 KB
Description:

You will first greeted by a set of very nice decal.
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - sticker.jpg
Views: 168
Size: 231.9 KB
Description:

Manual, comes in two languages, English and Chinese. Quite understand-able, right?
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - manual.jpg
Views: 213
Size: 178.1 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - manual 2.jpg
Views: 227
Size: 274.5 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - manual 3.jpg
Views: 176
Size: 208.7 KB
Description:

The Rudder and the Elevator(to be updated
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - rudder.jpg
Views: 227
Size: 171.9 KB
Description:

Be sure to apply fiber tape along the bending point of the Rudder and Elevator.
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - rudder 2.jpg
Views: 286
Size: 170.1 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - rudder 3.jpg
Views: 296
Size: 155.4 KB
Description:

The main wing and I'm impressed of the very smooth surface, Volantex seems to have sanded them and thoroughly cleaned, unlike the Hobbyking EPP FPV which has really rough surface. Smooth surface equals low drag and should translate to longer flight time and better feel through the air.
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - main wing.jpg
Views: 250
Size: 192.6 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - main wing 2b.jpg
Views: 319
Size: 194.4 KB
Description:

Servos are pre-installed just like on 757-3 and it's very nice of them to apply fiber tape along the servo cable. Wooden spar is glued tight to ensure less flex(a common complain on 757-3).
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - main wing 3.jpg
Views: 231
Size: 197.5 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - main wing 2.jpg
Views: 229
Size: 181.7 KB
Description:

Finally, the fuselage. Oh boy. Nice! It's tough too, but isn't the same material as 757-3 if i remember well.
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - Fuselage.jpg
Views: 291
Size: 148.8 KB
Description:

Battery compartment - looks like you could fit 2x 4S 3000mah there, total 6000mah. Wonder what's the flight time.
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - Battery compartment.jpg
Views: 360
Size: 188.5 KB
Description:

ESC is 2-4S 30A.
(if however you received a 20A and if you purchased from Banggood, contact them to send you the 30A ESC. )
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - ESC 30A.jpg
Views: 233
Size: 199.1 KB
Description:

Now this is the cool part! compartment made for the autopilot! and it's on the higher side of the fuselage, (on 757-3 you have to mount it on the floor and due to the air opening in front and outlet at the middle bottom, it's said that it may affect the autopilot's Barometer).
Planning to mount my APM 2.5 on it and i think it will be just the right fit!
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review -Autopilot compartment.jpg
Views: 295
Size: 162.5 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - Autopilot compartment.jpg
Views: 311
Size: 173.0 KB
Description:

The motor mount and the opening at the middle, possibly for ESC cooling.
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - motor and cooling.jpg
Views: 336
Size: 152.7 KB
Description:

This is where u can mount your VTX and get cooled by the props!
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - video transmitter mount.jpg
Views: 306
Size: 169.8 KB
Description:

At the tailboom, you can see you servo extension is already mounted, so i think it's recommended to at least get the PNP version.
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - tailboom.jpg
Views: 312
Size: 174.1 KB
Description:

Comes the accessories, prop is a 8x4 and I really love the quality of the tires, it's 2.75. The metal spar is aluminum i think. At the bottom left, that seems like a weight to balance your CG, I'm guessing this to be a tail heavy plane out of the box, so you can mount all your fpv stuff!
Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - accesories.jpg
Views: 314
Size: 235.3 KB
Description: Name: Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 Review - metal spar.jpg
Views: 257
Size: 194.3 KB
Description:

So that's all the unbox details. As for the build review and flight test, I'll do it as soon as I get the permission to mount this on the wall of the dining room. haha
Name: _rs2015-06-23 15.18.28.jpg
Views: 219
Size: 182.5 KB
Description:

Also I've uploaded the unbox video, have a look,
Volantex RC Ranger 757-4 : Unboxing & Review (11 min 44 sec)

The build video by me,
Volantex Ranger 757-4 Build Video, Tips & Mods (4 min 5 sec)

* Update from other users

- Flight review + vs the bigger 1980mm brother
First Flight FPV Volantex® 1380mm Mini Ranger (3 min 31 sec)

- Written review by Sh4wzy from the UK
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=16

Video review from Alishanmao, according to him the CG point should be further back, close to middle of the wing.
Beginners RC FPV Plane VolantexRC Mini FPV Ranger (10 min 40 sec)

Maiden review by surfrc
Volantex Ranger 757-4 FPV 1380mm Long Range Edition (2 min 51 sec)

Thanks for reading and I hope you will enjoy yours soon!

FAQ,

Where to buy?
PNP version - http://www.banggood.com/Volantex-Ran...1123036201501P

Kit version - http://www.banggood.com/Volantex-Ran...1123036201501P

What's the Material?
Both the fuselage and wings are EPO according to Banggood, unlike the bigger brother which has plastic/pvc fuselage. But rest assured it should be durable enough as we have seen how Volantex care about their quality and customer feedback.

MODS
1. Custom battery holder - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=144
2. APM installed - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=146
Last edited by edwardjohn; Oct 30, 2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add photos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by mrfirkin
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Looks nice, thanks for sharing.

Might have to get the wallet out !
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by redtwiilight
Heliboy
+100 I was just swooning over it a couple of days ago. Nice write up! Let us know how it handles in the air!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfirkin View Post
Looks nice, thanks for sharing.

Might have to get the wallet out !
Haha you should. Worth a nice display on the wall too even if you dont fly it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtwiilight View Post
+100 I was just swooning over it a couple of days ago. Nice write up! Let us know how it handles in the air!
I think the shipping actually cost more than the plane itself due to big size. Try to build it this week.

Thanks guys!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by DavidTag
edwardjonh,

I bought this a couple weeks ago as well, except I knew it was a "mini" version.

I'm a bit disappointed to see it is what looks to be an EPP or EPO fuselage. I have the full size 757-3 Ranger EX (PVC fuselage) and that thing is indestructible. How do you feel about the tail boom section of the fuselage in terms of strength? Any chance it would withstand a crash of decent magnitude?

How do the wings attach? it looks like they sit on top and have a couple of plastic strips on top. I wish it was like the 757-3 with the full plate on top and a bubble level.

I'm pretty excited to see how it flies after you complete the build and/or when I make it home to fly this things myself.

I have 757-3 Ranger EX that I have taken all of the electronics out of after realizing I needed a more robust system. I am thinking about putting all of those electronics (EXC, motor, servos if they are larger than the 757-4 ones) in this plane and running it on a 4S battery. I will be using an RVOSD as the AP due to my antenna tracking system I already have set up for the full size Ranger EX and the fact that i know how it works and like the setup. I hope it fits in that nice compartment on top.

thanks for taking the time to put this unboxing review on here. It's giving me the itch to get home and see this bad boy.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:42 PM
Also, No flaps?!?!?!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTag View Post
edwardjonh,

I bought this a couple weeks ago as well, except I knew it was a "mini" version.

I'm a bit disappointed to see it is what looks to be an EPP or EPO fuselage. I have the full size 757-3 Ranger EX (PVC fuselage) and that thing is indestructible. How do you feel about the tail boom section of the fuselage in terms of strength? Any chance it would withstand a crash of decent magnitude?

How do the wings attach? it looks like they sit on top and have a couple of plastic strips on top. I wish it was like the 757-3 with the full plate on top and a bubble level.

I'm pretty excited to see how it flies after you complete the build and/or when I make it home to fly this things myself.

I have 757-3 Ranger EX that I have taken all of the electronics out of after realizing I needed a more robust system. I am thinking about putting all of those electronics (EXC, motor, servos if they are larger than the 757-4 ones) in this plane and running it on a 4S battery. I will be using an RVOSD as the AP due to my antenna tracking system I already have set up for the full size Ranger EX and the fact that i know how it works and like the setup. I hope it fits in that nice compartment on top.

thanks for taking the time to put this unboxing review on here. It's giving me the itch to get home and see this bad boy.
Yeap it's EPO according to BG. Will have to gather everyone's feedback and see how it is.
Everything is back in box after I've snapped the photos. Now that you mention that I gotta have a look at the tailboom.
Yea the ESC that comes with it support 2-4S.
Yeah you should. It's a nice plane.

Quote:
Also, No flaps?!?!?!
Nope. No flaps, unlike the 757-3. I never fly with flaps, yet.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardjohn View Post
Yeap it's EPO according to BG. Will have to gather everyone's feedback and see how it is.
Everything is back in box after I've snapped the photos. Now that you mention that I gotta have a look at the tailboom.
Yea the ESC that comes with it support 2-4S.
Yeah you should. It's a nice plane.

Nope. No flaps, unlike the 757-3. I never fly with flaps, yet.
Thanks for the information. I'll post anything I come across here once I get my hands on this beauty in a few days. I'm hoping I can fly it a day after I return. I'll be sure to throw the go pro on it to see how video looks from a solid mount.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by Loki1
Hi just I picked my shipment from Bangood. And unfortunately I landed on an incomplete pledge
Old Jun 27, 2015, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1 View Post
Hi just I picked my shipment from Bangood. And unfortunately I landed on an incomplete pledge
woah! where was the quality control on this one!?

I haven't seen mine yet, i hope i don't have a similar problem. Sorry this happened. that's a tough one to self-fix.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by Nora
this small version needs airfoil reinforcement aswell?

says alot about how much they listen to customers cos that problem was on the bigger model and many customers complained and some also destroyed there plain cos of that flaw
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:57 AM
Loki1, OMG that's bad to see.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 03:56 AM
Find More Posts by Loki1
I made this element from the package from the aircraft, and is well. But, I reported the problem to the help page bangood and on the auction model, but the pictures and my entry has not been posted !! Bangood help page, also did not get any answers .... The hinges in the tail, wings, need to be strengthened, disintegrate in his hands.
Best regards
Old Jun 29, 2015, 08:07 AM
http://www.volantexrc.com/product/75704

I just realized no one has posted the link to the Volantex page product description for this. Just in case you need specs etc.

Loki, that was a good idea for a fix! Just be sure it's strong enough as that piece holds in the spar. It would be a bad day if it came out or broke mid flight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by Loki1
Quote:
http://www.volantexrc.com/product/75704

I just realized no one has posted the link to the Volantex page product description for this. Just in case you need specs etc.

Loki, that was a good idea for a fix! Just be sure it's strong enough as that piece holds in the spar. It would be a bad day if it came out or broke mid flight.
And one more thing according to the description set should have the ESC 30A, in my unfortunately I found 20A ESC 3-4s. To the max with power 3s, the engine takes 17A, tested for 4s but unfortunately finished at 60% of the gas because I had already 20A, I have to change esc to 30-40 Amp to fly on 4s