Hobbyking Zulu - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 26, 2015, 03:06 PM
openrc*****s *****
The glass disser version.

It has been avaliable in a slightly different guise for some time from other suppliers.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2015, 12:01 PM
openrc*****s *****
As I now also have the HK version...

I love it.

Superb fun model
Jul 16, 2015, 10:11 PM
You all might like this one:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2460386

You can pop an electric motor on this one, firewall preinstalled.

-Wayne
Nov 27, 2015, 08:50 AM
Reap the wild wind
Just snapped up the ARF version from HK's EU site of £82.17. That's over £100 less than it's selling for on their UK site. I've got a pair of high end thin wing servos already in stock. Anything I should be on the look out for re the build and flying?
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html
Andy
Dec 09, 2015, 12:18 PM
Hi!
I also bought it on black Friday sale. Seems to be a good deal and since everyone was crazy about the black Friday- well I pulled the trigger

First check - looks ok. But not really the EU quality. More like advanced ChinaQualityPassed...

Manual - chinglish, no CG data , deflections given. Wingtips come in a separate bag and need to be glued in.

In the manuals it is shown as the pegs are installed in the wing tips - but they came in the parts bag. No location on the wing-tips marked to indicate where to drill the holes. So some fiddling is waiting for us

Bottom hatch is rough and also does not fit nicely to the fuselage. The actual problem is in the fuselage as the edge is just not designed properly...

So - just worth the Black Friday Price Tag IMHO. And no more...

Cheers
Last edited by rc_ryder; Dec 09, 2015 at 02:15 PM.
Dec 09, 2015, 12:55 PM
Reap the wild wind
The wingtip pegs were also bagged on mine although the tip do have some smallish holes/marks where I imagine the pegs should go. I might just tape mine on anyway as I understand this is an option. I got some rough glue edges on the fin so I'd agree it's not up to the quality you'd expect from EU factories or even the best of the Chinese kits
Andy
Dec 15, 2015, 02:56 PM
Recieved a reply from HK about CG:

The recommended COG is 97mm from the leading edge. Please verify glide slopes before flying.

Kind regards,

Vin
HobbyKing Support Team

And posted a couple of photos on our local forum:
http://forum.modelarji.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93183

Cheers
Dec 16, 2015, 02:36 AM
Reap the wild wind
Found this video from a link to a German forum thread on a Slovenian forum thread!
HK Zulu Try Out ,First Flight´s (1 min 3 sec)

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...Zulu-Hobbyking
Looks like test was done with c of g between 94-96mm. I've asked for clarrification re reflex and rates/expo. Glide slope looks good. There were comments on the strength of the wing seat area and I certainly feel the fuse could do with beefing up in some critical areas. It is very light and I'd rather have some more glass cloth in there rather than lead.
Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Dec 16, 2015 at 03:22 AM.
Jan 01, 2016, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.thomson
As I now also have the HK version...

I love it.

Superb fun model
Rob, what's your cofg with this model please.
Jan 01, 2016, 08:57 AM
Reap the wild wind
I was considering adding some extra internal fiberglass around the wing seat as mine will be flown on the slope only. Any thoughts on this and any other mods that will improve the model?
Andy
Jan 01, 2016, 11:29 AM
Hey Headless, bought mine on blackfriday too!! Just waiting for some cofg heads-up so I can choose setup.
Jan 01, 2016, 02:28 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bladexxl, this is what BrullyRC posted back on his video "My Ruderways (elevons) are only 12° up and down with 40% of Expo .I´m flying Graupner/Hott .CG is a Startingpoint to try it out . With 97mm from the leading edge it was to "tricky" for me, so I try it with around 95mm. It´s raining here, can´t do more testing yet."
Will yours be a sloper or powered? My lz's aren't always the best not to mention my attempts at landing hence my comments about beefing it up. Have been looking at these models for my roughest slopes
http://stores.ebay.at/epp-modell?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 especially the Pluto (NCFM Bluto & Windrider Bat clones) and Zackspeed (for when my Zagi finally dies) Suggested my little RC Facebook group might like a bulk order to sane p&p.
Andy
Jan 03, 2016, 12:28 PM
Reap the wild wind
Some nice bungee launches from BrüllyRC
Zulu Hobbyking First Bungee´s (5 min 16 sec)

The fusealge is so thin on mine that I can see light through it! Thinking of copying his idea of a carbon fibre vertical bulkhead glued to a circular ply plate inside the fusealge. The carbon will extend from inside the fuse to the tip of the nose. The battery, rx, ubec and any ballast can be mounted either side of this. This will beef up the nose but I do wonder why they didn't glass in an internal full length ply plate under the wing saddle as this flexes quite a bit. I will use nylon bolts on mine to create a weak point. It has cetainly saved my Flying Fish from damage in less than perfect arrivals
Andy
Jan 08, 2016, 10:46 AM
Reap the wild wind
To keep my nose area radio friedly I've decided against using any carbon fibre. Instead, I've made a ply vertical plate which is glued to a vertical ply disc that will be glued inside the fuse just forward of the front wing bolt hole. I just drew around the nose onto some card and trimmed to to fit inside. Notch had to be cut around the disc to allow it to slip past the captive nose nuts but they are big enough to take servo extensions to the wing.
The idea is that I can mount the battery pack,ubec and rx onto the sides of the nose plate and add lead to balance. The vertical orientation will add strength to the nose in the event of a less than perfect arrival.
Andy
Jan 09, 2016, 01:35 AM
Hi Folks;
I recently acquired one of these wings, and for reasons even the seller isn't quite sure of, it also came with a motor installed (direct from HK originally too, I believe).

I've just spent the day doing my maiden flights with it .. both on the field (in almost zero wind), and then at the slope in a (15 - 18 knot seabreeze).

I started out with a CoG right on 97mm from the LE. Overall, its a very docile well-behaved plane .. very graceful in light wind conditions (at the field) and responds well to controls (I'm running 35% expo on elevator and 30% on ailerons). However, when put into a high(ish) speed dive, it was very difficult to pull out. It more or less viciously porpoised its way reluctantly out of the dive, (although it seemed to have set its mind to drill its way well and truly into the turf). More nose weight was recommended, so I added another 20 (ish) gms to the nose and moved the CoG about 5-7 mm(??) forward. This seemed to make it much more controllable in the dive, although it still displayed the same general overall reluctance to pull out of it.

On the slope it was quite lively although very stable. Loops and rolls are very easy to control and recover from, (although I was still a bit nervous about the dive issue).

I can comment more on the flight performance a little later .. (after I have a few more flights under my belt) ... It seems to like the motor too, although I was only using it for ascents prior to free gliding.
Oh and one more thing ... watch out for the visiibility/orientation against a cloudy sky backdrop. It needs some contrast on the underneath side ... its very easy to lose orientation at a distance, in flat light.

Cheers

Quick Reply