Hobbyking Zulu - RC Groups
Jun 22, 2015, 08:13 PM
Discussion

Hobbyking Zulu

Well I'm sure it is ripped off from somewhere, unfortunately. I only hope it isnt.

That being said, with my ever growing fleet of inbuilt or unfinished planes, this thing does look awfully appealing.

It might be fun to load her up with some ballast, and see how fast I can go. (Or maybe as a mid-speed DS'er.... or at least see at what speed it blows apart!)

It appears to be made in the same factory as the Topsky DLG's. They were fairly nice quality for the price (I have owned 2 of them, neither from HK)

One note that I do like is the replaceable tips, as they are generally the most common damage area during transport or botched landings.

What do you guys think?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html
Last edited by Jwmflying14; Jun 22, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2015, 08:27 PM
Obsessed
Airfoil is listed as "Zup1060 and Zup1065" ... as in "Zupair", I imagine.
Latest blog entry: Photos
Jun 22, 2015, 08:28 PM
Interesting....

That reminds me, I really need to get my Z1 in the air. I just need to buy servo's. (Again, one of those planes I don't seem to have enough time for!... )
Jun 22, 2015, 11:02 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Holy cow! Already trying to rip Zack off?!? Such BS.

Feel bad for Zack.
Jun 22, 2015, 11:06 PM
Certainly before I buy I would like to know whether or not HK is telling the truth when they say:

"Designed by Zach Hoisington, including a custom refined airfoil, it has been thoroughly tested as a premier level model."

Straight from their site.
Jun 23, 2015, 12:05 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Wow. Really? I'll check and find out.
Jun 23, 2015, 12:24 AM
Obsessed
I think HK usually gives planes a new name when it "co-opts" the designs. It's starting to sound like this one is above board?
Jun 23, 2015, 01:38 PM
Closed Account
oof
Last edited by JGAF; Jun 23, 2015 at 09:01 PM.
Jun 23, 2015, 07:03 PM
This is the response I got from Zach after shooting him a PM at the beginning of this thread. I also received permission to republish it here as well.

That being said, I've owned a Z1, and several topsky's. I am a sucker for composites, and although I don't necessarily agree with HK and the way it was went about, it does sound like Zach gives consent, and acknowledgment that this is the manufacturers product, with respect paid to Zach on the design.

Quote:
Hi there,
Thanks very much for the PM on this.
I didn't know these would end up at HK, but I'm perfectly fine with it. Zhigang Wang (formerly TopSky), who also makes the EPP Zulu's and Z1's is producing these. While I helped a little with the design, this is 100% his project. Zhigang did all of the tooling, testing, etc., and I hope that he is successful.
Thanks again,
Zach
Jun 24, 2015, 02:42 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Oh boy, I hope Zach gets something out of this with his manufacturer. I wonder how this "E" version performs.
Jun 24, 2015, 03:23 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Interesting. Has it got the same aerofoils as the foam Zulu? Might it benefit from drooperons? My gut says a composite model might get even more out of that concept than a foamie, but I guess it needs a wing designed and optimised for the task.
Jun 24, 2015, 06:52 PM
It's time for me to fly
Those are the same foils Zach released publicly early in this thread. So yes they should benefit from a drooperon conversion.

Sounds like the project has his blessing. I'll stick to building the XL kit that's sitting on my bench right now though.

- Jim
Jun 24, 2015, 07:04 PM
Obsessed
The plane looks cool, but it doesn't seem particularly light (the video says so too). And the wing layup doesn't look particularly robust. I'd like to give it a go but I'm afraid it might be one of these planes that is too heavy to f*art around in lousy air with, but not robust enough to go fast (like super mild 110mph DS).
Jun 26, 2015, 02:34 PM
openrc*****s *****
I have a zulu.

It is a superb light wind sloper. Almost ultrabatic.

I would not bother trying to DS it. But it handles a breeze happily!
Jun 26, 2015, 02:44 PM
Obsessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.thomson
I have a zulu.

It is a superb light wind sloper. Almost ultrabatic.

I would not bother trying to DS it. But it handles a breeze happily!
You have the Hobby King version? Or an EPP?

Quick Reply