Jul 26, 2015, 03:02 AM
Any one tell me the average flight time?
Only getting 7-10 minutes at the most. ........
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2015, 03:58 AM
Rotor Controller
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstteevvee View Post
Any one tell me the average flight time?
Only getting 7-10 minutes at the most. ........
A Trex450 with a 2200 ma battery gives about 7-8 minutes in slow flight. High speed and aerobatics creates more force which consumes more energy. It's a basic physics principle. If you fly until your heli drops - you are very likely at the lower limit of the LVC of the battery -and this will reduce the lifetime of your battery substantially. A good "rule-of-thumb" is to stop flying when the battery is down to 3.75v per cell - which would math out to 11.25v for a 3 cell (3S) battery. Recommend buying a digital voltmeter (lipo tester) if you don't already have one. Careful feeding and caring of lipo batteries is essential to maintain a long and healthy life. Average lifetime expectation of a lipo battery is 2 to 3 years - that reduces to 2 or 3 months if you abuse them and they heat up. When they heat they "puff" or swell slightly. Once they are puffed their internal resistance has increased and the flight time will become shorter and shorter. Would also recommend buying a GOOD lipo charger - the ones that are bundled in the RTF versions are a joke. Have a great flight and most importantly - a SAFE flight.

captJac
Jul 26, 2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks Capt.
I will get a decent charger and a lipo tester. But will also take into consideration the style of flight and hope not to abuse this 24 hour old battery.
I'll ask around on the best way to maintain it.
Thanks for your time
Jul 26, 2015, 10:24 AM
Hello all: So I have one of these and yes they are all pre-flighted before going out. I do not have allot of time with choppers even though I have tried on and off for years. The machine does look great and have hovered several times. My problem is and will have to work on it,,, is I have learned with EXPO on all my machines so to try and hover let alone fly is being a real challenge. So looking for idea's.
Jul 26, 2015, 05:58 PM
This is probably a stupid question but if I have spektrum dx7 can I use it with this heli?
Jul 26, 2015, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mupepe View Post
This is probably a stupid question but if I have spektrum dx7 can I use it with this heli?
According to the instructions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes
Jul 26, 2015, 07:02 PM
Awesome! I'm on the fence between this and the blade 230s. I wanna go towards the 230s for HH support and availability of parts but my 200 SRX POD issues has me worried about the same thing on the 230 even though they say it's a new ESC design.
Jul 26, 2015, 08:36 PM
AA6JB
I asked a friend who is a more advanced heli pilot than I to take mine up for a flight and run her through some basic aerobatics and inverted flight. No video but here are a few stills. Looking forward to using this capable 300 size heli to advancing my sport level skills for sure!

Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Jul 26, 2015, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolters View Post
According to the instructions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes
It will but you will need a SpeKtrum satellite as well.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Hello all: So I have one of these and yes they are all pre-flighted before going out. I do not have allot of time with choppers even though I have tried on and off for years. The machine does look great and have hovered several times. My problem is and will have to work on it,,, is I have learned with EXPO on all my machines so to try and hover let alone fly is being a real challenge. So looking for idea's.
With the stabilized mode turned on and your radio switched into low rates the heli will hover just as well as a good quad. If you are having trouble hovering in this mode you may need more time with a even more basic coaxial or quadcopter. On a calm day or inside a gym or warehouse the heli will sit in a hover almost hands free.
Jul 27, 2015, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mupepe View Post
My strong advice is that you remove the main blades and tail blades before doing anything.

Since they are selling the RTF version, you will need to pull off the built-in satellite and replace it with a Spektrum. Follow the instructions on binding and programming the helicopter in the manual. Be very careful of any and all moving parts if you choose to apply battery power even with all the blades removed.

Have an experienced pilot review your set up before reinstalling the blades. Don't hurt yourself. Be careful.
Jul 27, 2015, 03:40 AM
Rotor Controller
Quote:
The only difference between a beginner and a non-beginner is time on the sticks. The more stick-time - the better you get. Keep in mind it is not just you learning to control the sticks - it is your muscle memory. Muscle-memory controls the sticks - you control the flying. When you are thinking which way to move the sticks you aren't flying the helicopter -the helicopter is flying you. Muscle-memory needs a LOT of time to develop. A question often asked by beginners - how much time does it take? The best answer is as much time as it needs. You can't hurry muscle-memory - it takes its own time. With 6 or 7 minutes of average flight time per battery - and allowing cool down time for the motors (and you) - 4 or 5 batteries adds up to about an hour of actual stick-time. An hour of stick-time is a LOT when you are flying. But there is a way to add up those hours in weeks instead of months - a good simulator. A simulator lets you train hours at a time - day or night - rain or snow. It is not as much fun as real-world flying - nothing is as much fun as that - OK almost nothing. Simulators require a lot of discipline and work and after 1 or 2 weeks of simulator time the novelty wears off real fast. But the dividends are enormous - the biggest being the development of muscle-memory in a matter of weeks instead of months. For some it never develops because they give up and find another hobby. If you serious about learning to fly - a simulator is essential. 2nd on the essential list is finding an instructor who can help you learn. Practicing your mistakes only reinforces your mistakes. The problem is not knowing what mistakes you are making. It takes a trained eye to know where you are making those mistakes and to make the corrections so you are practicing the right thing instead of the wrong thing. Practicing the wrong thing and you end up crashing into the same wall over and over again - literally. Auto-pilots are a marvel in technology but they don't fly your helicopter - they just save you from crashing. Have a great flight!!

captJac
Last edited by CaptJac; Jul 27, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
Jul 27, 2015, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I asked a friend who is a more advanced heli pilot than I to take mine up for a flight and run her through some basic aerobatics and inverted flight. No video but here are a few stills. Looking forward to using this capable 300 size heli to advancing my sport level skills for sure!

Hmmm this looks like a few stills taken from the promotion video. Post your own video..
Jul 27, 2015, 08:51 PM
AA6JB
Sounds like an allegation?! Ha Ha But that is not the way I roll.

FWIW, my photos are WAY too high of a resolution with WAY too much DOF to be captures from a video.

My Flickr Page ... which has a few (hundred) more photos of projects I have worked on thru the years

No need to call me out mate. But I did not shoot any video ... yet.
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Jul 27, 2015, 10:31 PM
Once again. Flys very nicely. Just watch the flight time. As capt jack said. The more you put it through, the shorter the flight .
I've braced the skids with 3mm wire and liquid nails. That makes a heavy landing bearable

Quick Reply