RCGroups Place of the Month - Johnson City Radio Controllers

Check out the RCGroups.com RC place of the month!

Splash

RCG's June Place of the Month

This month's featured Place is the Johnson City Radio Controllers located in Jonesborough, TN. They fly from a 30'x500' paved runway and welcome pilots of all types of aircraft. They actually have a real T-33 Air Force Jet on site to check out as well. In the Summer, they have weekly cookouts and nightflying. It's a great place to fly with some good ole' boys from Tennessee.

Learn more about the Johnson City Radio Controllers at their Places page.

Thread Tools
Jun 23, 2015, 02:57 PM
Prying Open My Third Eye
slo_dave's Avatar
Hey that's my club..

Great place to fly

Here is a video I did of our way cool full size T-33 that was actually flown by Gus Grissom

T-33 @ JCRC (1 min 57 sec)
Last edited by slo_dave; Jun 23, 2015 at 03:06 PM.
Jun 23, 2015, 03:29 PM
Superior creation science

Jcrc


JCRC also has a live weather station at the field which uploads every 5 minutes to our website. We also have live webcams at the field so you can check out who's out there and what's going on. We have one member who has to periodically go overseas and it lets him keep in touch with the goings on in the club. Our website is kept up to date with the latest happenings and club events and is probably one of the best club websites in the hobby.
Jun 24, 2015, 04:10 PM
Registered User
tailskid2's Avatar
Back in the 80's I used to drive from huntsville and fly at their fun flys....a GREAT bunch of guys - miss ya!
Jun 26, 2015, 03:54 PM
Registered User
While spending a month in Kingsport, TN for training, I found this little flying club.
The members were very friendly and I spent quite a few of my evenings there.
They had some great pilots too! The next time I travel to Kingsport I will be
taking one of my planes with me to fly there.
Steve
Jun 26, 2015, 07:47 PM
Registered User
Way to go JC Radio Controllers!
Jun 27, 2015, 08:30 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevosr
While spending a month in Kingsport, TN for training, I found this little flying club.
The members were very friendly and I spent quite a few of my evenings there.
They had some great pilots too! The next time I travel to Kingsport I will be
taking one of my planes with me to fly there.
Steve
We are always happy to have visiting pilots and it is good to hear you enjoyed flying with us, Steve. Drop in any time!
Jun 28, 2015, 07:11 AM
Great Southern Land
Berkie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougclind
JCRC also has a live weather station at the field which uploads every 5 minutes to our website. We also have live webcams at the field so you can check out who's out there and what's going on. We have one member who has to periodically go overseas and it lets him keep in touch with the goings on in the club. Our website is kept up to date with the latest happenings and club events and is probably one of the best club websites in the hobby.
Love to hear more about your weather station.
How does it upload to your website and was it expensive to set up?


Kev
Jun 28, 2015, 04:41 PM
Superior creation science
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
Love to hear more about your weather station.
How does it upload to your website and was it expensive to set up?
Kev
We have a relatively inexpensive Oregon Scientific WMR100 station. This was an old one that I donated since I had moved up to a better one at home. Another club member donated a Win XP machine and we bought a copy of VWS (Virtual Weather Station) to do the uploading. You can specify the interval and the graphics you want to upload. VWS also uploads the webcam images for us which are FTP'd to the PC from the Foscam cameras.

So we had to put together 4 pieces to get this working:
1) a DSL line for internet access at our field,
2) the weather station,
3) weather station software, and
4) a PC to run the software on.

And of course you need a website that lets you FTP things up to it. We added the webcams as an afterthought. We're using Foscam FI8905W cameras which cost us about $75 each. We'll keep everything going as long as the club votes to keep paying for the DSL line. Right now that's the only continuing expense. I'd be glad to give more details if you're thinking of doing the same thing. Just pm me. I'm also the webmaster and I wrote all the code for our website so I can help out a little with that too if needed. Hey! Anything to help out the blokes down under, right mate?
Last edited by dougclind; Jun 28, 2015 at 04:50 PM.
Jun 28, 2015, 11:25 PM
Great Southern Land
Berkie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougclind
We have a relatively inexpensive Oregon Scientific WMR100 station. This was an old one that I donated since I had moved up to a better one at home. Another club member donated a Win XP machine and we bought a copy of VWS (Virtual Weather Station) to do the uploading. You can specify the interval and the graphics you want to upload. VWS also uploads the webcam images for us which are FTP'd to the PC from the Foscam cameras.

So we had to put together 4 pieces to get this working:
1) a DSL line for internet access at our field,
2) the weather station,
3) weather station software, and
4) a PC to run the software on.

And of course you need a website that lets you FTP things up to it. We added the webcams as an afterthought. We're using Foscam FI8905W cameras which cost us about $75 each. We'll keep everything going as long as the club votes to keep paying for the DSL line. Right now that's the only continuing expense. I'd be glad to give more details if you're thinking of doing the same thing. Just pm me. I'm also the webmaster and I wrote all the code for our website so I can help out a little with that too if needed. Hey! Anything to help out the blokes down under, right mate?
Good on yer mate!
That is very helpful.

I can do a bit of research now on those items and discuss with the club guys.

Thanks for your invite to help further via PM


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools