New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by ognolman
Discussion

Strange Craigslist Ads

I regularly scan my local craigslist ads for R/C airplanes and see ads pop up every so often that make me ask myself "what are they thinking??"

There are two such beauties circulating now:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tag/5069903596.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tag/5036813690.html

I imagine someone digging through their garage and pulling out this ancient, beat-up airplane with ancient technologies that they paid a thousand bucks for back in 1991 and now they think it's going to sell for a thousand bucks today. So, without doing the tiniest bit of research, they just chunk it up on c/l and wait for the money to come pouring in!

And they keep renewing the ads months after month, usually never budging from the price, or if they drop it at all, it will only be by tiny amounts. The Corsair in the second ad was originally $900, so I suppose that is a little bit of improvement.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
Bellanca Kruesair
Yeppers -those guys don't have any idea of the true worth of those models- The Corsair may bring $150, and the Scimitar, $75?

But that's nothing new-there are OS 120's at RCG currently, ranging from $350, to $155....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Future engineers
Old Jun 21, 2015, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
Engine man
Yeah those are pretty humorous. Like this one.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tag/5073663793.html
Old Jun 21, 2015, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by scale_only
old-Hay y-may eer-Bay
That's nothing,, couple years ago there was a guy selling a "Cricket" Heli, came with Motor & servos, asking $750. He must have reposted that heli for 2-3 years. I finally sent him a message letting him know it was obsolete 20 years ago and never flew good to start with. It was maybe worth $100 as a novelty item. He continued to post for it another year,, same price.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2 View Post
Yeah those are pretty humorous. Like this one.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tag/5073663793.html
Ha Ha-it's "money in the bank" with no Access ! I liked the 72" wing spand.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Future engineers
Old Jun 21, 2015, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
AMA 537620
lol I would like to know how you spend $750 on a Kadet equipped with a TT .35 and a Skysport radio (consider the Skysport is about 2000 vintage). Figure about $400 of equipment if all bought brand new. ROTFL

Also what schmuck sold that scimitar with 4S engine and is that a 7UAP? to some guy with a brief passing interest.

I think the main problem is that these people have no idea how far the technology has advanced since they bought this stuff.
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Jun 21, 2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by Hemikiller
-insert witty saying here-
Probably picked the stuff up at a yard sale for $50 and thought they would make a killing selling it "online".... Craigslist ain't ebay....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Old Jun 22, 2015, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
lol I would like to know how you spend $750 on a Kadet equipped with a TT .35 and a Skysport radio (consider the Skysport is about 2000 vintage). Figure about $400 of equipment if all bought brand new. ROTFL

Also what schmuck sold that scimitar with 4S engine and is that a 7UAP? to some guy with a brief passing interest.

I think the main problem is that these people have no idea how far the technology has advanced since they bought this stuff.
My first radio was a SkySport 4 from back in 1998.

Quote:
Probably picked the stuff up at a yard sale for $50 and thought they would make a killing selling it "online".... Craigslist ain't ebay....
That sounds like a likely explanation.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Heck, I have seen ads on here where someone was selling nib items for the same or more than you could purchase it new today. Just for fun I have responded to a couple of them and they usually get PO and say something like "well shipping is included". No warranty or customer support if there are parts missing. Guess they figure they have the Midas touch and if they have owned it, it is more valuable now. Go figure.

John
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:57 AM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman View Post
My first radio was a SkySport 4 from back in 1998.
Sounds about right, couldn't remember exactly when they came out... looks like the oldest manuals are dated 1998.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Sounds about right, couldn't remember exactly when they came out... looks like the oldest manuals are dated 1998.
Yeah, I wasn't busting your chops over it. I wonder when they first came out, though?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:35 AM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman View Post
Yeah, I wasn't busting your chops over it. I wonder when they first came out, though?
I bought my last Conquest, it's predecessor in 1996, so figure sometime between '96 and '98. I would have bought whatever was current at the time so the Skysport must not have been out yet.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by 1QwkSport2.5r
Got Chrome™?
This one caught my eye. Price looks steep. More pictures of the guy's storefront than the model and no details.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...069726320.html
Old Jun 22, 2015, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Just Another Brick in the Wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
This one caught my eye. Price looks steep. More pictures of the guy's storefront than the model and no details.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...069726320.html
Go carts, airplanes, signs... It's all the same, well almost

ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Second time around
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Brighto?
That's nothing. There was a shop in Phila., PA that sold to the trades (hotels, stores, restaurants, etc.) and was closed to the public except on Saturdays. There, you could find reproduction Coke trays and other decorative items including airplanes, boats, etc.

I stopped in one day to look around and they had this ridden hard and put away wet Sig Clipped Wing Cub hanging. Now mind you, unless it was from a garage sale or auction, no one in his right mind would spend more than $30 for this beat up airplane. And, there was an engine on the thing. Anyway, the sale price was $1500!

I only stopped in occasionally to get a chuckle and wonder why I wasn't in that business. They eventually closed up. Guess the customers caught on to the graft.