Strange Craigslist Ads - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jun 21, 2015, 11:26 AM
Registered User
Discussion

Strange Craigslist Ads


I regularly scan my local craigslist ads for R/C airplanes and see ads pop up every so often that make me ask myself "what are they thinking??"

There are two such beauties circulating now:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tag/5069903596.html


http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tag/5036813690.html


I imagine someone digging through their garage and pulling out this ancient, beat-up airplane with ancient technologies that they paid a thousand bucks for back in 1991 and now they think it's going to sell for a thousand bucks today. So, without doing the tiniest bit of research, they just chunk it up on c/l and wait for the money to come pouring in!

And they keep renewing the ads months after month, usually never budging from the price, or if they drop it at all, it will only be by tiny amounts. The Corsair in the second ad was originally $900, so I suppose that is a little bit of improvement.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2015, 12:33 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
epoxyearl's Avatar
Yeppers -those guys don't have any idea of the true worth of those models- The Corsair may bring $150, and the Scimitar, $75?

But that's nothing new-there are OS 120's at RCG currently, ranging from $350, to $155....
Latest blog entry: I'm a 'whiner'
Jun 21, 2015, 01:12 PM
Engine man
dmrcflyr2's Avatar
Yeah those are pretty humorous. Like this one.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tag/5073663793.html
Jun 21, 2015, 01:20 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
scale_only's Avatar
That's nothing,, couple years ago there was a guy selling a "Cricket" Heli, came with Motor & servos, asking $750. He must have reposted that heli for 2-3 years. I finally sent him a message letting him know it was obsolete 20 years ago and never flew good to start with. It was maybe worth $100 as a novelty item. He continued to post for it another year,, same price.
Latest blog entry: Help a Brother Out
Jun 21, 2015, 01:25 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
epoxyearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2
Yeah those are pretty humorous. Like this one.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tag/5073663793.html
Ha Ha-it's "money in the bank" with no Access ! I liked the 72" wing spand.
Latest blog entry: I'm a 'whiner'
Jun 21, 2015, 06:28 PM
AMA 537620
ChillPhatCat's Avatar
lol I would like to know how you spend $750 on a Kadet equipped with a TT .35 and a Skysport radio (consider the Skysport is about 2000 vintage). Figure about $400 of equipment if all bought brand new. ROTFL

Also what schmuck sold that scimitar with 4S engine and is that a 7UAP? to some guy with a brief passing interest.

I think the main problem is that these people have no idea how far the technology has advanced since they bought this stuff.
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Jun 21, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Jun 21, 2015, 08:52 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Hemikiller's Avatar
Probably picked the stuff up at a yard sale for $50 and thought they would make a killing selling it "online".... Craigslist ain't ebay....
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Jun 22, 2015, 08:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
lol I would like to know how you spend $750 on a Kadet equipped with a TT .35 and a Skysport radio (consider the Skysport is about 2000 vintage). Figure about $400 of equipment if all bought brand new. ROTFL

Also what schmuck sold that scimitar with 4S engine and is that a 7UAP? to some guy with a brief passing interest.

I think the main problem is that these people have no idea how far the technology has advanced since they bought this stuff.
My first radio was a SkySport 4 from back in 1998.

Quote:
Probably picked the stuff up at a yard sale for $50 and thought they would make a killing selling it "online".... Craigslist ain't ebay....
That sounds like a likely explanation.
Jun 22, 2015, 09:53 AM
Registered User
Heck, I have seen ads on here where someone was selling nib items for the same or more than you could purchase it new today. Just for fun I have responded to a couple of them and they usually get PO and say something like "well shipping is included". No warranty or customer support if there are parts missing. Guess they figure they have the Midas touch and if they have owned it, it is more valuable now. Go figure.

John
Jun 22, 2015, 09:57 AM
AMA 537620
ChillPhatCat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman
My first radio was a SkySport 4 from back in 1998.
Sounds about right, couldn't remember exactly when they came out... looks like the oldest manuals are dated 1998.
Jun 22, 2015, 10:08 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
Sounds about right, couldn't remember exactly when they came out... looks like the oldest manuals are dated 1998.
Yeah, I wasn't busting your chops over it. I wonder when they first came out, though?
Jun 22, 2015, 10:35 AM
AMA 537620
ChillPhatCat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman
Yeah, I wasn't busting your chops over it. I wonder when they first came out, though?
I bought my last Conquest, it's predecessor in 1996, so figure sometime between '96 and '98. I would have bought whatever was current at the time so the Skysport must not have been out yet.
Jun 22, 2015, 07:48 PM
Engine Frankensteinerô
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
This one caught my eye. Price looks steep. More pictures of the guy's storefront than the model and no details.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...069726320.html
Jun 22, 2015, 08:05 PM
Hope to get out of life alive
kenh3497's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
This one caught my eye. Price looks steep. More pictures of the guy's storefront than the model and no details.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...069726320.html
Go carts, airplanes, signs... It's all the same, well almost

ken
Jun 23, 2015, 11:24 AM
Brighto?
Mike Denest's Avatar
That's nothing. There was a shop in Phila., PA that sold to the trades (hotels, stores, restaurants, etc.) and was closed to the public except on Saturdays. There, you could find reproduction Coke trays and other decorative items including airplanes, boats, etc.

I stopped in one day to look around and they had this ridden hard and put away wet Sig Clipped Wing Cub hanging. Now mind you, unless it was from a garage sale or auction, no one in his right mind would spend more than $30 for this beat up airplane. And, there was an engine on the thing. Anyway, the sale price was $1500!

I only stopped in occasionally to get a chuckle and wonder why I wasn't in that business. They eventually closed up. Guess the customers caught on to the graft.