Jun 20, 2015, 10:18 AM
Discussion

H-King Color 250 FPV Mini Quad Frame

Hi guys,

I'm just getting into Mini Quads and I recently picked up one of these H-King Color 250 mini quad frames to try out.

Here's my summary of the frame kit: (More reviews to come on my channel.)
H-King Color 250 - FPV Mini Quad Frame: Kit Overview & Dimensions (8 min 51 sec)

Here's the HobbyKing Live video:
H king color 250-HobbyKing Daily (3 min 35 sec)

Below are pictures of the Instructions sheet and photos with dimensions.
If I forgot anything or you'd like to see more pictures, just let me know.

HobbyKing Links:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_Blue_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rame_Red_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...me_Black_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Orange_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...me_White_.html
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

For a molded plastic kit, it seems pretty nice. It comes in a nice box and does include a color instructions sheet. (Although it's covered in slightly broken English, haha.) The box came shipped without damage and HobbyKing packed the box with plenty of bubble wrap and air bags.

These Color 250 frames come in a variety of colors; Black, White, Red, Orange, and Blue.

Based on the HobbyKing Live video, they say it's made from a "fiberglass filled nylon".

The build is pretty simple. All you need is a 2mm hex driver to put it together. Assembly took 5 minutes. The hardest part is getting on the vibration dampening balls, haha.

On the instruction sheet they do say,
"Color 250 the latest design of DIATONE is a casual Frame Kit, please DON'T do severe flight movements."

My guess is they aren't advertising this frame as a 'racing' kit and I would tend to agree. I don't think this frame would survive a 20 foot fall at 20 mph like some of the carbon or even fiberglass mini quad frames out there, but I do think this frame is a nice beginner's mini quad. If you're looking for a cheap racing mini-quad, something like the ZMR-250 may be a better option.

I don't intend to use this frame for high speed racing, but I think the Color-250 is a good beginner's mini quad that is light, stable, and at $12-$14, it's at a pretty good price too.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

I think the manufacturer is 'Diatone'.
The kit comes with a set of 5030 and 6030 Diatone props.
(With the 6" props installed, there's about a 1/4" of space between the blade's tip and the side of the frame.)
There is also a 6 mm ID hole in the rear for your FPV antenna if you decide to use it.

Specs:

Motor Spacing:
Diagonal: 257 mm
Lateral: 202 mm
Longitudinal: 158 mm

Motor Bolt Hole Spacing:
3 mm Holes: (16 to 19)mm spacing
2 mm Holes: (12 to 16)mm spacing

Power Distribution Board:
4s Lipo main input
4 ESC contact points
BEC output
5 volt BEC
Dual 'ST 78M05' regulators
I believe the BEC has a 1 amp max output (There is no mention of the current rating in the instructions, but I assume the 1/2 amp regulators are in parallel.)

Weights:
Frame, with PDB, and without props: 138 g

Main Base Plate/Arms: 87 g
Clear Upper Plate: 20 g
Vibration Isolation Plate: 3 g
Vibration Dampening Balls (x4): 2 g total
FPV Camera Plate: 1 g
PDB & BEC: 5 g
Aluminum Spacers (x8): 10 g total
M3 x 8 mm Machine Screws (x20): 10 g total
Diatone 5030 (x4): 9 g total
Diatone 6030 (x4): 14 g total

Extra components included in kit:
Vibration Dampening Ball: 1
Aluminum Spacer: 1
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2015, 06:43 AM
S3fpv.com Pilot
Great review, thanks for the info. I just ordered 2 last week (orange + black) since they are so cheap anyway. Wish I seen this before however, I might have fudged up the batteries that I ordered along w/ it (might be too big!).

Post more when you get it together and flying.
Jun 23, 2015, 07:52 PM
Will do :-) I plan to fly this mini quad (although my first mini quad) with a 1300 mAh Zippy compact, 40C discharge pack:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=72451

I'll be using DYS 1806 2300KV motors with up to 6"x4.5" props. Based on thrust data I've collected from around the internet, with 4 motors at full throttle; I should pull around 51 amps on a 3 cell lipo. Also hovering thrust should be a total of 8-10 amps total.

So with a 1300 mAh 3s pack, you'll need atleast 40C rating on a standard mini quad.

If you can afford them, I'd say go with at least 50C for better punch. Such as the NanoTech batteries from HobbyKing. I only plan to hover and fly at moderate speeds so I hope I can get by with these 40C Zippy Compacts.

I'm hoping to post a full write up on my build in the coming weeks. I'll link to it in this forum post too :-)

If you'd like to see anything, let me know and I'll try to include that info.
Jun 26, 2015, 10:42 AM
I was thinking about buying this, but it looks like the arms are rounded on top. how does that work with the ESC's. do they wiggle around? is there enough room on the lower plate to mount them?
Jun 28, 2015, 04:17 PM
You are going to have to mount your speed controllers ON the arms... There is little side slots to wrap the zip ties.....Im in the process of building mine out at the moment. This is my 6th 250 size build... and for the most part.... I have found I prefer the esc's on the arms for cooling.

BTW... Great job on the write up/review Sean. I found this AFTER I had already purchased mine.. But you did a great job on stating the pertinent info.

He is right about the four center posts NOT being threaded.. I am used to using Nylon M3 hardware to secure my FC boards.. I think I am going to drill out the holes personally to allow an m3 and nut combo.. Will post pics when finished.
Jun 29, 2015, 08:59 AM
Prefectionist
I picked one of these up. My first non-micro quad.

I used:
1709-1900 motors:
6amp opto esc's
Afroflight Acro naza32
spektrum sat
the 5x3 props.

I also installed the cheapest Quanum FPV goggle video set.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_PNF_.html

I cut the motor wires to the exact length needed to put the esc's on the center of the arms. All wires are cut and soldered to the exact needed length. It can carry the FPV gear with a 2200mah 3s just fine. I managed a couple of quick flights around my back yard but the lens that comes with the fpv camera is to small of a field of view to be very good for FPV.

As for mounting the Naza board. If you drill out the plastic posts with a slightly bigger drill bit, the supplied socket head screws work well without needing nuts.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:58 PM
@creapyd
How did it go mounting that FPV camera? Did it just drop in and the holes lined up, or did you have to mod the frame?

I just bought this frame and am looking for an easy drop in fpv camera for that mounting bracket.
Jun 30, 2015, 01:01 PM
Prefectionist
I used a rubber band.

Stick camera through hole in plate, put one end around the lens, wrap band around back of camera and back onto the lens. holds quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaustgas View Post
@creapyd
How did it go mounting that FPV camera? Did it just drop in and the holes lined up, or did you have to mod the frame?

I just bought this frame and am looking for an easy drop in fpv camera for that mounting bracket.
Jun 30, 2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks @creapyd
Jun 30, 2015, 05:16 PM
My build just started
Jun 30, 2015, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaustgas View Post
@creapyd

Ditto....also looking for the correct size board cam.
Jul 03, 2015, 11:39 AM
Prefectionist

Warning

WARNING: If mounting the video transmitter the recommended way you might have to somehow reduce the thickness of the top plate of the quad.

My video TX fried after about 12 minutes and I narrowed down the problem to a sporadic connection on the antenna caused by the top board of the quad being to thick.

I used an auger bit to thin down the board until the antenna could fully seat onto the transmitter.

you DONT need to widen the hole, just thin the plastic top to bottom. about 1/2 of a millimeter.
Jul 06, 2015, 08:33 AM
S3fpv.com Pilot

H-King Color 250 - went through 3 frames.. :P

Hello all,

So after sorting out my ESCs issue (now moved back to SimonK, BLHeli + race mode wasn't working for me), I got a monster of a quad. Easily the best handling quad I have. Just too bad it's not CF. They are definitely NOT as durable on crashes... I broke 2 frames and now on my 3rd. LOL:

Here's my build list:

Frame: H-King Color 250
Motors:Multistar Elite 2204-2300KV (took from my other quad)
FC: THE FLIP32+ DELUXE V5.0 - loaded with Cleanflight 1.9.0 NAZE 2015-6-2 0:41
ESCs: BL20A MINI ESC (SN20A) BLHELI-(ONESHOT) - didn't work well for me. I got some cheap 12A Emax w/ SimonK now working well.

I'm running 4s setup with 6x3 props. Flying very well now (apologies, still learning flying w/ rate mode):

H-King Color 250 [2204-2300kv-6x3-4s] (3 min 22 sec)
Jul 06, 2015, 02:15 PM
what size board camera were you able to mount up front? 32x32mm?
Jul 06, 2015, 04:59 PM
S3fpv.com Pilot
From the OP, 23.5-27mm is the camera mounting size. Doubt 32mm will fit