RC Laser Sailboat - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jul 16, 2015, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit
A couple of questions if I may.

Having regard for the size of the big A rig any suggestions for carrying the sail. I have in the long past rolled my Mylar sails up an put them in a bag and put in the bottom of my boat. I am sure I can get my long suffering (that is suffering my RC addiction) wife to make me a bag but I would still want to put it in a hard tube so it doesn't get crushed when put in the back of the car.

Also, "I had heard" Spectrum Rx do not work over water, although personally I cannot see why this would be. Anyone using Spectrum in the RC Laser. It would be nice to know as I have heaps of them spare.
I took a Rx from my Spectrum and replaced my old FM receiver with it and it works just fine. I used a 7000 which has the satellite receiver so I have more antenna to work with as both are under the deck.

As far as the bag, I would not roll them. Keep them as flat as possible. In the bag they offer, the A sail has to be folded once about 10 inches from the top but the rest is flat in the bag.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2015, 02:11 AM
A geriatric flier
Thanks for that. I would have thought folding would have been a no no but I defer to your experience. I did wonder if anyone used a satellite Rx. It is always nice to have a bit more backup. I have seen a picture of the Rx antenna being taped to the deck but with 2.4 I do not think there will be a problem. I understand "in the old days" of crystals, planes (and presumably boats) could go out of range very quickly.

PS I cannot bring myself to fold my sail. It will get rolled as did all my mylar dinghy jibs. You couldn't fold them because of the fore-stay wire sewn into them. The small ones will go into the bag of course.
Last edited by Watdazit; Jul 17, 2015 at 03:00 AM.
Jul 17, 2015, 07:41 AM
Raildown

Protect Sails

One of the features of the Boat Bag for the RC Laser is a pocket for each part of the boat. As mentioned above, polyester sails (mylar) crease permanently so these sails must not be folded. Also we caution against rolling RCL sails because the leech of the sails is laminated and they will take a "set" and will actually develop ridge bubbles if rolled any length of time.

The 14" taller A sail is taller than the bag is long, but the bag includes a dedicated flap to protect the sail from the bag zipper and hold it as it is curled back over the transmitter compartment protecting it from creasing. Therefore, all four sail sizes will fit in the boat bag at one time, completely protected from damage.

Every detail of the bag has been worked out over the years to provide protection for all parts of the boat making it possible to rig and unrig the RC Laser waterside in less than 2 minutes - yes, two minutes - from unzip to water and vice versa.

Racing skippers who change sails while racing throughout a day, often purchase our Sail Bag which allows the sails to be rigged on separate masts and booms and carried in the bag fully rigged. That way, all that is necessary to change a sail is to unclip the mainsheet from the boom, remove the entire rig (lift out), insert the new rig, and clip the mainsheet to the boom. You will often see skippers changing rigs inside the 2 minute warning for the start!
Jul 17, 2015, 10:12 AM
I have to vouch for the laser bag. The boat fits so perfect and its convenient to store it with all contents together. The bag itself is a wonderfully crafted masterpiece in its own way. Glad I purchased it.
Jul 17, 2015, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom24
I have to vouch for the laser bag. The boat fits so perfect and its convenient to store it with all contents together. The bag itself is a wonderfully crafted masterpiece in its own way. Glad I purchased it.
+1 on this. I would also like to point out that the bag is padded to protect the contents. This would not be apparent in photos of the bag. Just sewing together a bag without this padding to me is just wasting time and materials. I am all for saving a buck but this is not the item to attempt to save a buck on.
Jul 17, 2015, 05:18 PM
A geriatric flier
I am very happy with my purchase of the RC Laser and would repeat the sentiments stated above about the quality of the bag. When I unpacked the Laser I suppose I was like a kid at Christmas and was only interested in what was inside and not how it was packed.

Thanks Raildown on your advice about rolling. I understand what you are saying about the laminated leach. I suppose it would be good practice to unroll the end when I get home and lay the big sail flat. Mind you with the winds we have been having over the last 6 months I do not think it will ever have the big sail out.

Whilst I have everyones attention is there any problem with using LiFe (A123) batteries. I use them in my planes to power the Rx and servos so I have plenty around.
Jul 17, 2015, 05:26 PM
For club racing Life batteries are okay to use, however when you race in a regatta you can only use Nicad or Nmih batteries as per class rules. The class secretary has advised me of this.
Jul 17, 2015, 06:00 PM
Watdazit - did you get your boat from cliff? Did you get a transmitter and receiver with it? if so, what brand? Thanks
Jul 17, 2015, 08:14 PM
A geriatric flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper67
For club racing Life batteries are okay to use, however when you race in a regatta you can only use Nicad or Nmih batteries as per class rules. The class secretary has advised me of this.
Excuse me if I am coming in as "Johnny come lately" and this subject has been hammered out already. Someone might be able to tell me why only NiCd and NmiH are approved. They are both old battery technology. There is no real advantage I can see in using LiFe...excepting of course one might argue a servo will move faster and give more power at a higher voltage. This IMHO doesn't preclude them being approved if everyone can use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikiwi
Watdazit - did you get your boat from cliff? Did you get a transmitter and receiver with it? if so, what brand? Thanks
Yes I bought it from Cliff at RadioSail. No I didn't buy a Tx and Rx. I have a DX9 but decided I would buy a HobbyKing Tx and Rx. They are cheap and I would hate to drop a $500 transmitter into the water. I bought this,
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=8338

It includes a receiver.
Jul 18, 2015, 03:01 PM
The bag sounds really good. Very keen to get one of these boats. Watdazit what manufacturing year is your laser? I can imagine it was like Xmas opening it!
Jul 18, 2015, 06:14 PM
A geriatric flier
Quote:
The bag sounds really good. Very keen to get one of these boats. Watdazit what manufacturing year is your laser? I can imagine it was like Xmas opening it!
I do not know what year it was manufactured. Watching a 73 yo unpack a Christmas present is pathetic. I would normally get my grandchildren to help!

The bag is good. In this world I have found nothing is perfect but this bag has been thought out very well, is well made and I would recommend it to anyone buying a Laser. Raildown's advice of how to fit the A sail in works but just to make sure the top of the sail doesn't get creased I will put a short length of swimming pool noodle in to turn the sail over. I tried fitting a JR DSX 9 and DX9 into the transmitter pocket but they wouldn't fit. I doubt the HK one will fit either so if you want to really keep the Tx in the bag get the recommended one. My Tx's have all the bells and whistles required for planes and helis which are not necessary for the Laser. Another handy thing about the boat packed in the bag is that it goes easily back into the box it was delivered in. This is helpful as I intend taking it with me with planes and helis and it lies flat on the Landcruiser floor and planes and helis can be stacked on top.
Jul 18, 2015, 06:58 PM
Wow watdazit that sounds ideal how it fits easily back into its packaging box. Im so very tempted to get one. Just don't want it to be a decision I regret as I have never seen one, so don't quite know what they are like except for what I have seen on the internet
Jul 18, 2015, 09:44 PM
You won't regret the purchase Waikiwi! It's a good boat. Easiest to sail, and pack. Most fun factor for the money!
Jul 19, 2015, 01:04 AM
A geriatric flier
Quote:
Wow watdazit that sounds ideal how it fits easily back into its packaging box. Im so very tempted to get one. Just don't want it to be a decision I regret as I have never seen one, so don't quite know what they are like except for what I have seen on the internet
Your best bet is to find a club locally to you and go and watch. You might have a problem finding Lasers and undoubtedly the club will push what they are sailing but regardless of that you will learn something on which to judge your final decision. Most people I talked to said the Laser was a good boat to learn on but a difficult boat to sail well. This being said, it can present you with a challenge for years to come. People might say that about all yachts but one good thing about the Laser is the ease in rigging and not too much to play with. Playing with thing like downhauls, jibs, backstays and vangs is great but you need to first learn how to sail. I have sailed RC a limited amount but I have sailed dingies for years so I know what everything does and how too sail. I recently went to a club to watch some 10 Raters sail. I want one (drool) but this boat is about $A5500 RTS. I managed to get to sail one but I would not recommend spending that sort of money until you know how to sail. The Laser would be a good starting point. If you have never sailed in dinghy's I would also recommend you go and do a sailing course on a full size dinghy first.

By the way, the amount of following on this thread is in my mind a clear indication of how many you are going to find sailing in clubs. Very little. The only real way of enjoying sailing in my mind is to race. You will need boats to race against and open classes are not always a good indication of how you are progressing..
Jul 19, 2015, 03:26 AM
Thanks sonicboom - it does sound like I wouldn't regret it.

Watdazit - I agree. Im a dinghy sailor and have quite a few other rc yachts so have a little bit of experience. wish I could see a rc laser but they don't sail them down here. Not interested in the 1m racing scene as it seems quite aggressive at times. Just enjoy sailing for fun My dad and I often sail our boats together and have an absolute blast (including giving each other a friendly hard time trying to beat eachother!)!
Last edited by Waikiwi; Jul 19, 2015 at 03:20 PM.