RC Laser Sailboat - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jul 10, 2015, 05:16 PM
A geriatric flier
Sorry guys, nothing to do with Laser's. I had an Evo 10 gasser in a Meridian and had lots of problems tuning it. This I believe is a general problem with small gasser motors where the tiniest of change in the carby jets can throw the whole thing out. I eventually gave up and the only gasser I have now is a DLE 55 in a Giant Reactor.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2015, 08:49 PM
Just a tip:

I didn't realize that there is a small hole in the back of the boat to equalize pressure. The first day I took the boat out I actually got a little water inside the hull. So I finally figured out how to remove it. Once you have everything taken apart for the day you grab the boat with the rear end pointing down, and you squeeze it together a couple times. Like your sqeezing a lemon. The water comes right out, just watch your shoes.

It's crazy because after the first time, I don't get much water inside anymore. I think because of the stalling on the first day. Now when I sail her, I know I need speed to turn. So the boat is not just sitting in the water in a dead zone waiting for wind to turn her.
Jul 10, 2015, 10:04 PM
A geriatric flier
Thanks. From my full size yachts I remember having to pull away and shy just before a tack because any boat not having a jib always tends to go into irons, especially in light winds. What will make it worse with the RC Laser not being on board to be able to use ones weight and to roll it through a tack. What maintenance is required on the sails?
Jul 10, 2015, 10:34 PM
Not much really. I found a crease in my sail after I pulled it out of the bag, so I got a hairdryer and warmed up the area for about 5-10 mins. Came right out.

I just make sure it's dry before I put it away. I wipe down the entire boat also. I know Vaseline is needed once in a while for the tops of the servos, near the top deck so water doesn't penetrate underneath the top gears. But I think that's once a year.
Jul 13, 2015, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
I have been looking at Lasers' for some time and have read both good and not so good reports on their sailing manners. Like to hear from actual owners on their views of how these boats sail.

One comment was they stall easily and are not to quick to regain speed after turning. I do not know if these observations are accurate or not. Just read them in some reviews.

Like to get some solid information before investing in one.

Boomer
all boat have quirks. From what I remember the boat was designed on cooperation with the guy that created the real laser so it sailed just like the real boat. This is a one design boat in that it does not matter if it has a few quirks, everyone else will have the same quirk. The only thing you can modify to sail competitively is adding colored tape to the hull. That way if you are beating me it is because you are a better sailor. If you start trying to race other models, tha it gets like real boats and the bigger and lighter it is the faster the boat and then you would have to get into handicapping.

It is great boat for ease of transporting, setting up, and sailing in most all conditions of you have all the sails.
Jul 13, 2015, 06:56 PM
Bob T - CC
I got my Laser delivered in late June and have sailed it a couple times now. It is one of the $299 boats from Intensity Sails on Ebay. It unpackaged easy, set up straight forward, added 12 alkaline batteries and hit the water. It does take some getting used to, but that phase passes quickly.

The servo's which come with the Intensity Sails low-dollar boats are not the Hitec units recommended by the class. The Sail servo is a Batan B1226 and the Rudder servo is a CY S S3006. These servos have a reputation for not lasting long, maybe a couple months. I went ahead and purchased the Hitec Servos off Ebay. HS-785HB for the Sail and HS 322HD for the rudder , installed them last week and used them over the weekend. They work perfectly. The CYS S3006 had developed "centering" issues after just one use, and the HS 322HD works perfectly.

A tip for replacing servos, there are rubber blocks under each servo to hold it up tight to the deck. Reinstalling these blocks goes easier if you put a drop of mineral spirits paint thinner on the sticky tapes and wipe it around on the tape until it is wet then install the block. This allows the block to slide, and the mineral spirits will evaporate leaving the sticky tape and block holding the servo in place.
Jul 14, 2015, 08:49 AM
I'll have to look into the servos that my boat came with. If anything I will just upgrade to the HS ones. I have about 8 hours of sailing on the boat as we speak, and have not encountered any centering issues as of yet.
Jul 14, 2015, 11:17 PM
The servos are in all new r/c lasers, not limited to those coming from intensity sails. The designer/ manufacturer thought they were equal, if not better in quality to those being supplied by hitec. To date, no complaints of servo failure have been recieved. If there is any problem, the manufacturer, out there technology, would like to know and will be happy to provide replacements....
Jul 15, 2015, 12:39 AM
A geriatric flier
I fly helis and planes and have in 10 years only had two total failures and both were Hobbyking servos. Just unlucky I think because a friend swears by them and he says he has never had a failure. I have had one Hitec faulty out of the box. Some of my Hobbyking servos do have centering problems and I only use them in planes I call crash dummies I fly in the back paddock. I have servos still working after 10 years and these are Align, Hitec and Futaba. I bought a plane secondhand recently and there was so much slop in the Hitec servos I replaced them with better quality ball bearing and metal geared Hitec servos.

Here is some info on Batan from Servo City

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/batan/b1226

Luckily with the Laser if a servo goes bad it is not going to crash and end up a pile of balsa matchwood. Personally a servo should last longer than a few months and my general maintenance on planes and heli servos is replacing gears (generally after a crash) and re-greasing. I would not use vaseline or any heavy grease as they tend to harden in cold weather and cause more resistance to the gears turning and might shorten the life of the motor . You also want something which is not going to cause the rubber O ring seal under cap to deteriorate. The Hitec servo grease IMHO is the best and it sticks like s... and is very light. I would be looking for servos with ball bearing shaft support and staying clear of plastic and bronze sleeve supports. The old adage of you get what you pay for does not apply these days. Often cheaper servos are just re-branded "quality" servos. I am just building a plane which has 12 servos in it so replacing servos on a Laser ain't going to break the bank so to speak.
Jul 16, 2015, 12:09 AM
For what it's worth, I have a couple sets of sails from Intensity and am extremely happy with them. I bought a set of hiking straps, too, which are great. Very cheap, but well made for the price. I don't know if that reflects on an RC boat, obviously, but I'm a fan of the company.
Jul 16, 2015, 12:39 AM
I know intensity backs their sails up with a lifetime warranty. So it does make them look good!
Jul 16, 2015, 02:36 AM
A geriatric flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHarrisTweed
For what it's worth, I have a couple sets of sails from Intensity and am extremely happy with them. I bought a set of hiking straps, too, which are great. Very cheap, but well made for the price. I don't know if that reflects on an RC boat, obviously, but I'm a fan of the company.
Excuse my ignorance because I am new to RC Lasers but I associate "hiking straps" as used to hook your feet under when leaning out over the edge of the boat. Obviously it means something else on an RC Laser.
Jul 16, 2015, 11:13 AM
Sorry, I meant full sized sails and full sized hiking straps. For a 16' boat.
Jul 16, 2015, 07:32 PM
Raildown

Clarification

I have jumped in here to assure all of you that the RC Laser sold by SailRC is the standard quality RC Laser and not the sub-standard RL Laser being sold by another vendor. Please visit http://www.sailrc.com/?p=5747 for full details.
Jul 16, 2015, 09:39 PM
A geriatric flier
A couple of questions if I may.

Having regard for the size of the big A rig any suggestions for carrying the sail. I have in the long past rolled my Mylar sails up an put them in a bag and put in the bottom of my boat. I am sure I can get my long suffering (that is suffering my RC addiction) wife to make me a bag but I would still want to put it in a hard tube so it doesn't get crushed when put in the back of the car.

Also, "I had heard" Spectrum Rx do not work over water, although personally I cannot see why this would be. Anyone using Spectrum in the RC Laser. It would be nice to know as I have heaps of them spare.