Apr 12, 2017, 07:34 PM
Take the clip off the boom and very gently squeeze with a pair of pliers. A slight decrease in diameter should make the clip secure.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2017, 03:41 PM
AKA Don
Have you been successful with that. I am thinking making it out of round will not increase the grip. Reducing the dia. while keeping it round sounds impossible without rewrapping it around a smaller mandril.
Apr 13, 2017, 03:47 PM
You can just squeeze the the ends, which will make it tighter. I haven't tried it myself, but this was passed along to me from the designer....
Apr 13, 2017, 04:09 PM
AKA Don
Pleas tell the designer to redesign the clips. They are not a good fit to the booms.
Apr 19, 2017, 10:31 PM
What I have found is that the newer slides with the closed ears slip more than the older slides with the straight wires on the ends. The theory was that there would be no way for a line (sheet line or control line) to become stuck on the closed loop sliders. But, when a line does get into the closed loop slides (and it will) it is there until manually removed. With the straight wire slides, there is a chance of the line coming off the slide while on the water. Putting balls on the straight wires also tend to hold a line captive.
In my opinion the closed loop slides should be not permitted in the fleet because of their captive nature. It is not fair to boat that can be caught by another boat's boom and eliminated from a race.
Since the closed ones are already widely delivered with some oats and distributed by dealers, we are stuck with them being in the fleet. The next possible solution is to require operators at big regattas to apply tape around the sliders so no one other boat's line can snag the slider and become disabled.
Apr 20, 2017, 09:22 AM
AKA Don
Good points all. Poor fit and snagging are problems to be solved.
We need better slides.
Anyone from Intensity, or the Laser manufacturer listening?