RC Laser Sailboat - Page 27 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 18, 2017, 04:11 PM
AKA Don
Unless you are planning to race, I would stick with the B sail for fun sailing. My experience is when the A sail is best, sailing is too slow. It's more like drifting than sailing. And when the C sail is best, the wind is so strong only serious competition sailors are having fun. JMHO.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 06:31 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Unless you are planning to race, I would stick with the B sail for fun sailing. My experience is when the A sail is best, sailing is too slow. It's more like drifting than sailing. And when the C sail is best, the wind is so strong only serious competition sailors are having fun. JMHO.
makes total sense, I have always liked sailing it in good winds, its not fun when its barely doing anything. It looked like sailrc closed tho? am i wrong?
Mar 18, 2017, 07:35 PM
AKA Don
Yes,they closed. IntensitySail is now the US source.
Mar 18, 2017, 09:11 PM
ah great thanks I couldnt imagine someone letting the product go away, lasers are hard to beat!
Mar 19, 2017, 01:08 PM
Lost in the Sky

IntensitySails.com RC Laser Page

The IntensitySails.com RC Laser Page

http://www.intensitysails.com/racolasa.html
Mar 19, 2017, 01:39 PM
Sailor and Radio Ham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit
Surely selecting which sail to use is part of the skill in racing. If you think you are being overpowered with an A rig and you swap down to a B and no one else does and you win a race then you have made a good racing decision. Selecting which rig to use is a skill in sailing.
This is true. Setting up the boat for the conditions is part of sailing skill. But I understand some clubs have the competitors all use the same rig to "level the playing field". Some people do not have a complete set of 4 sails, so this keeps them in the game.
Mar 22, 2017, 08:50 PM
Ok folks, need some advice. I have had this laser for maybe 8 years I guess, and it was second hand from a friend. It still has the original gear in it, so maybe someone can date it with these pics. Last year while running it in really rough conditions things went dead, and I just parked it. Ive had the bug to get to doign more sailing, but I think its time for an upgrade on the electronics. Id like a list of whats the norm to run a laser now, type of servos, batteries. and is it ok to run an Air transmitter and air rx on boats now? thanks for the help in advance
Mike
Mar 23, 2017, 09:50 AM
AKA Don
Good cheap radio Good for casual sailing

Better radiohttp://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6...250323-US&ebay Nice for competition sailing.

Use of aircraft radios for sailing is OK and common. With the 2.4 radios there is no separate frequencies for surface use.
Mar 23, 2017, 10:46 AM
yea, I found the parts I need on intensity sails. seems thego to is the dxe radio. Ill likely do that since its cheap and I dont want to use my dx18 near water since i often sail from my kayak.
Mar 23, 2017, 12:01 PM
AKA Don
That will work. But, Spektrum is premium priced. The Dx5 must be programmed from a PC or other device. And, it requires a special cord to do so. IMHO, the FlySky SF i6 is a much better buy. That said Spektrum has first class customer service. If a Spektrum part ever fails it will normally only cost you one way postage to get it fixed.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Mar 23, 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Mar 23, 2017, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
That will work. But, Spektrum is premium priced. The Dx5 must be programmed from a PC or other device. And, it requires a special cord to do so. IMHO, the FlySky SF i6 is a much better buy. That said Spektrum has first class customer service. If a Spektrum part ever fails it will normally only cost you one way postage to get it fixed.
Ive never had to program my stuff via a computer,, and my airplanes are far more complicated then rudder and sail LOL. I got thhe dxe and loads of modernization upgrades coming for the the old laz, will see how it goes in a week
Mar 23, 2017, 03:40 PM
Lost in the Sky
Rather than buy a new radio of limited capability, why don't you get a used DX6 or DX7.

I've seen a number of these at swap meets for $100 or less. The DX5 is like a Spektrum transmitter with all the good stuff left out.
Mar 23, 2017, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N
Rather than buy a new radio of limited capability, why don't you get a used DX6 or DX7.

I've seen a number of these at swap meets for $100 or less. The DX5 is like a Spektrum transmitter with all the good stuff left out.

I have my dx7 and dx 18 i could use, but i wouldnt be happy if i busted it or got it wet sailing from my kayak. so low end basic is all this boat needs. plus Im going to get rid of the springs on the rudder stick.
Mar 23, 2017, 06:03 PM
A geriatric flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper51
I have my dx7 and dx 18 i could use, but i wouldnt be happy if i busted it or got it wet sailing from my kayak. so low end basic is all this boat needs. plus Im going to get rid of the springs on the rudder stick.
Good point about dunking the Tx. I use a old DX 7 for my yachts and I use a neck strap. If I tried to sell my DX 7 I would be lucky to get $50, so buying a cheapy is not a cheap option. I use a DX 9 for my planks and helis, but hate using a neck strap. I am contemplating buying a DX 18 because I need more channels on a couple of planks where I use a Y lead and would prefer not to. The DX 9 will be kept as a just in case for the yachts.
Mar 23, 2017, 09:14 PM
Id love to someday build a schooner of some fashion that required all the the sliders on my dx18 to control each sail on its own, but thats a a far off dream lol.