RC Laser Sailboat - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 22, 2015, 12:10 PM
Boomer1
Waikiwi
Go to this link to find a video on the setting up of a Laser. Will show you the size of the boat packed in the carrying case/bag and how simple they are to set up. The boat lays so flat in the bag, it doesn't seem like it'd be any real issue to transport. The length shouldn't be an issue for any car's trunk or back seat. Think it'd even fit in a "Smart Car". I think you could even carry it on a bike.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Posted some Laser photos - found a bunch of pictures of some pretty severe submarine action. Wonder if this is a common behavior?

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 22, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2015, 01:28 PM

sailing action

I have sailed mine in wind to 40 knots with the D-rig and the boat was controllable
and fun.
Mike

Jun 22, 2015, 02:43 PM
Wow! That sounds fun
Jun 23, 2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks boomer for that link. Yea, they look quite portable - was just wondering about the bags actual dimensions though. They look a lot of fun. Thanks
Jun 23, 2015, 08:13 PM

Sailing time

Ok guys. I took her to a different lake. She sailed awesome once I got the sail tuned how I like it. Went out for close to 3 hours. I have some action shots!

She worked like a charm! Easiest sailboat to setup by far. Sails 100x better than my vela one did. That boat was such a pita to setup all the lines and get her going right.

So much easier to put away too. Took a whole 5 mins to get her dried off and put away. Best bang for the buck here!
Last edited by sonicboom24; Jun 23, 2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added some more pics
Jun 24, 2015, 11:19 AM
For those that need the measurement of the carry bag all packed up with the boat and all the gear:

55inches long
16 inches high
5 inches wide

pretty compact in my mind.
Jul 06, 2015, 11:33 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
mine has subed on me,, but its from high wind and gopro on the nose

Rc Laser From Kayak.wmv (6 min 51 sec)

old vid, Im looking to make a rear boom mount behind the boat, it shouls actually help me. haha
Jul 07, 2015, 12:30 AM
Nice video pit viper. I just ordered a mobius and I also wanted to make a rear boom mount to take some video. Just got to design something now. Post some pics if you do make one, it would be beneficial. Thanks

How old is your boat? Any issues?
Last edited by sonicboom24; Jul 07, 2015 at 12:39 AM.
Jul 07, 2015, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm500mx
I have sailed mine in wind to 40 knots with the D-rig and the boat was controllable
and fun.
Mike

I was thinking of picking up at least a C rig and maybe even an A rig just incase those super slow days.

I bet you had some fun flying in that crazy wind Mike!
Jul 07, 2015, 01:35 AM
Sonicboom - are you still enjoying your laser? Still keen on them, but just worried their size may be too unmanageable carrying around on the shore. Unable to rig it at the shoreside where I sail at high tide, so would need to walk it down there. Thanks
Jul 07, 2015, 07:44 AM
Waikiki- man I'm still loving this boat. It gets easier and easier to sail once you start understanding the way she handles.

I saw a video of some old timers sailing lasers on a dock. But they used a broom stick with a hook on the end to pick it up and drop it down into the water from the keel loop. You might want to look into that. I've read somewhere that you can pick it up from that loop without issues. So that should be able to give you some room to play.
Jul 07, 2015, 08:16 AM

Waikiwi

This boat is one of the most compact boats that I own in the blue carry bag you can haul everything you need to sail including the radio and extra batteries and a rig and a couple of sails. the bag is not much longer then a duffle bag.
check them out at sailrc and sailintensity .
Mike

Jul 07, 2015, 10:08 AM
Ktm500mx - don't say that! I was meant to be convincing myself why I don't need another yacht! But the ease of storage is the appeal for me. I like the idea ofbeing able to put it away under my bed etc without having to worry. Thanks sonic boom for our reply. Do you guys think it would be possible to carry the rig down in one hand and the boat in the other, and just slot the rig in once I'm there? Kind of like windsurfers do. Ie how easy is it to rig? Is it just a matter of attaching the sheet? Thanks
Jul 07, 2015, 10:46 AM
I do it all the time Waikiwi. The mast with sail can be carried under your arm, the boat in one hand, and the keel in another. Ive done it before when I leave the stand by the truck.

All you do when your ready for the water is slip the keel into the hull, lock it in place by turning the simple knob/clicker thing on top, and with another hand put the mast in, and connect the 1 and only line. Very simple.

Also get a neck strap for the radio, so it can dangle from your neck.
The 1st time i did that, it didnt look pretty, but after the 3rd time, it was efficient and quick.

Also, the boat in the bag with all its goodies slides under my bed without issues.

go get one! you wont be disappointed!
Jul 07, 2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks. How do you connect the line for the sheets? Ie is it a slider or what? They sure look a lot of fun am extremely tempted. Are they quite durable? Ie their sails and boat itself? Bit wary of plastic items after a couple of bad experiences. Have you only got the B rig? What sort of wind strngth have you sailed her in and do you find the depth of the keel an issue? Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be ure before I order as I would be buying wirhout ever seeing one as they aren't common down here. Thanks