Jun 18, 2015, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Hobbyking's Quanum 3 Axis No Drift Head Tracker, Discussion & Mods

Here you go boys and girls, Hobbyking has introduced the budget 3 axis headtracker with no drift, for just $22.84 (for the discount, just wait for the special price pop up).

****** Quanum 3 Axis No Drift Head Tracker ******

Features:

• Full 3 Axis
• Easy GUI setup
• compatible with most radios with a trainer port
• remote zero button
• Drift free

Specs:
Size: 45x28x9mm
weight: 9g
Voltage: 2~4s (provided via the trainer port cable on Futaba)
Axis: 3 pitch, roll, pan

Included:
Quanum 3 Axis head tracker
Remote zero switch
Futaba/9XR/9XRpro trainer port cable
JR/FrSky trainer port cable

Based on the Diy HT project from rcgroups: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1677559

The price is very reasonable, considering the part's cost, included case, and (hopefully) the fact that the HT is pretuned out of the box
Last edited by rank; Jun 18, 2015 at 08:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2015, 09:42 PM
Nice! I think I will be picking one up!
Jun 18, 2015, 09:47 PM
Can it fly? I'll try and see!
darn it! I wish they would have released this three days ago, before my international order with my quanam v2.
Jun 19, 2015, 04:30 AM
Thinking of using this to fly my AXN floater. How sick would that be??? :-D
Jun 19, 2015, 05:01 AM
I had a similiar idea. Already ordered it for my Bix1 that I'm building as FPV Plattform right now
Jul 20, 2015, 12:37 AM
Whats the initial setup for this? I have one and want to get it the pan/tilt (no roll) working on the 2 aux channels on my dx6i, I have the pan and tilt plugged into my aux 1&2 on my 6 channel receiver and the head tracker set to Channel 5 and 6 in the setup software, and ideas?
Aug 18, 2015, 05:21 AM
I just got mine and tried plugging into the 9XR futaba port. But i'm not getting anything. I tried plugging it into the JR port and it responded. However, i the need to plug into an external 5v ubec. The futaba port was able to power the headtracker by itself.

A quick probe with the multimeter found that the white wire connects to the JR's data pin. But there's no continuity coming out of the board the futaba socket is mounted on. Does the 9XR need a modification? Either the signal wire coming out of the head tracker is connected to the wrong pin, or the trace on the 9XR is connected to the wrong socket

The headtracker is connected to pin4, but the white wire in the 9XR is connected to pin 1

To other users of the 9XR, do i fix the cable? Or the socket?
Last edited by Hajile; Aug 18, 2015 at 05:49 AM.
Aug 18, 2015, 08:22 AM
After modding the 9XR, i finally got it to work.

Quanum Head Tracker Test (1 min 14 sec)

Apparently, fatsharks had the same issue with the radio.

PS: If you guys decide to get this, i would strongly recommend that you use the remote switch. The button on the main unit has a very pronounced 'click' and the vibration from that is enough to affect the sensors and wildly throw off your center.
Last edited by Hajile; Aug 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM.
Aug 25, 2015, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile
....PS: If you guys decide to get this, i would strongly recommend that you use the remote switch. The button on the main unit has a very pronounced 'click' and the vibration from that is enough to affect the sensors and wildly throw off your center.
Thanks for the tip. That explains a lot.
Aug 25, 2015, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyFamous
Thanks for the tip. That explains a lot.
It would help greatly if they were to make an update that takes the sensor value a fraction of a second *before* you pressed the button.
Aug 26, 2015, 08:54 AM
Keep Looking Up
That's amazing that it went back to center or close to it after whipping it around by the wire. Seems like a good deal..
Sep 18, 2015, 10:26 AM
LIVING THE DREAM

No tilt or roll

Bought this an was working fine other than wouldnt centre 100% compared to TX settings so I calibrated it.

Now I only have the Pan output.(blue on graph)...????

Is it possible to reset to default or flash with original settings?

Andy
Oct 06, 2015, 07:10 AM
Hello all, can somebody help me please as I'm new to this head tracking stuff.

This is my setup: DJI F550 Naza V2 with Futaba RX 8 channel via SBUS and Futaba TX T8J.

I use 2 spare channels directly on the RX to control tilt of Gopro gimbal and 1 to control the retracts ( channel 5 and 8 ). Where do I plug in the Servais from the cam fpv gimbal to be controlled. I have channel port 1,2,3,4,6,7 free on the RX but all channels are used in Naza software. 4 to control the F550, one to select flight modes, and one to select orientation control.

So all 8 channels are actually used but since I use SBUS for the primary 6 channels I have 6 "free" connections.

As I hope to correctly understand, I choose 2 of them for example elevator and aileron and when activated the trainer switch ( after setup of course ) it controls the cam and for the period not the elevator and aileron but hesitate to do so because I think that for a brief moment my head tracker controls my F550 elevator and aileron AND/OR the fpv cam.

I guess I'm missing something. Do I actually need 2 free channels?

Thanks a lot for those to clarify my limited knowledge.

Philip
Oct 09, 2015, 10:39 PM
If you check the head tracker GUI
The Head tracker outputs are CHs 8&7
Oct 09, 2015, 10:42 PM
My HobbyKing Headt racker drifts,
Any ideas?

Quick Reply